Running frequency

Options
So I've tried to search around the forum in regards to deconditioning and running. I've been running 3x a week for several months now and it's done wonders for me. During this time I've also been doing bodyweight exercises on the days I don't run and give myself a day of complete rest. It's worked great and I've avoided injury. The last month to month and a half I've changed it up and have been going to the gym instead of doing pure bodyweight and tried changing up my running with sprints 2x a week and 1 long run (instead of 3 long runs like I used to do).

But...I'm kinda burning out on running. However I don't wanna stop and I sure as heck don't want to lose the endurance I've built up from it. So in your experience, would running 2x a week instead of 3x a week still be enough for me to continue building endurance? I only ask because I know how fast you can start to decondition the running endurance.

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP, you aren't mentioning the miles you are running per week.

I'll be more specific - I was able to see a lot of improvement in my endurance as I bumped up my miles per week to 30 and beyond. (I have been running for quite some years now)

Can you start tracking your runs w.r.t mpw factor?

Jus' an example - If you are sitting at 15 mpw today.Can you make it 16 mpw for next week. A thought to think about.

Good Luck.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You could try switching it up with another type of endurance exercise such as swimming or cycling. From my personal experiance, I was running about 20 miles/week then I got an injury to my foot and I didn't run for about a year so I started swimming instead. A few weeks ago I decided to start running again and went for a 6 mile run.
  • Dedulaney
    Dedulaney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Currently I run 5-6 miles on my long runs at a 9:30 pace and do sprint runs over 3-3.5 miles. For my intervals (not including my walking warm-up/cool-downs) I currently run 15 min, walk 2, run 7, walk 2, run 7, etc. for my long run days and run 1 mile, sprint intervals of 30 sec. on 30 sec. off for a mile-mile and a half, light jog/walk the rest for my sprint days. I was averaging 15-17 miles a week when I only did long runs but now it's about 13 miles a week with the sprint runs. About every 2 weeks I up my intervals (so next week my first long run interval will be 16 min and then other intervals will be 7.5-8 min. and add a slight distance to continue building).
  • CReed_3
    CReed_3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So I've tried to search around the forum in regards to deconditioning and running. I've been running 3x a week for several months now and it's done wonders for me. During this time I've also been doing bodyweight exercises on the days I don't run and give myself a day of complete rest. It's worked great and I've avoided injury. The last month to month and a half I've changed it up and have been going to the gym instead of doing pure bodyweight and tried changing up my running with sprints 2x a week and 1 long run (instead of 3 long runs like I used to do).

But...I'm kinda burning out on running. However I don't wanna stop and I sure as heck don't want to lose the endurance I've built up from it. So in your experience, would running 2x a week instead of 3x a week still be enough for me to continue building endurance? I only ask because I know how fast you can start to decondition the running endurance.

Define what your long run is. Essentially you need to run 3x for approximately 30 minutes to keep what endurance you have.

This in itself won't be hard but you should switch things up to make them challenging and to overcome your boredom. You can change the intensity, pace, terrain, incorporate hills, trails, and try tempo running, in which you run segments at various paces. For example, the first 10 min are run at a 10 min/mi pace and the following 10 min are run at an 9 min/mi pace. Tempo Runs are very good for endurance, I run at least 1 tempo workout a week with shorter runs and weights during the week and my long runs on Saturday or Sunday. I usually run 25+ miles a week and if I can feel myself getting bored I usually just run a different route. I also have a running group and they keep it lively as well.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I may be misreading a bit but it looks like you run 3 times per week and 13-15 miles per week. The long run of 5-6 miles is pretty close to the same distance as the other two runs.

Conventional wisdom holds that you should lower the disance on a couple of the runs and run an extra day. Same miles but spread out, then add a bit more as you can handle.
  • Dedulaney
    Dedulaney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did lower from doing 3 long runs to the 2 sprint style runs a week and I have enjoyed them, but maybe doing a mile jog and mile of sprints is still getting too close to becoming another long run.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I believe that in order to improve or even sustain you have to stress your muscles but you must rest them afterward so they can repair (and get stronger) .
    What used to work for me was hard day followed by easy day. One day a week do a long run followed by a rest day. Then do some maintenance runs (not as slow as your long day and a shorter distance)
    You have to give your body a break or it will break down or you will burn out.
    Heart monitors are the greatest training aid known to mankind. Just run in "your zone" As you get in better shape you will have to run further or faster to stay in the zone.
    Good Luck
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you can maintain your endurance most effectively when cutting back mileage by doing high-intensity intervals. Take a look at Alex Hutchinson, "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?" (with references), and Gretchen Reynolds, "The First Twenty Minutes" (without references).

I would maintain one long run a week, to maintain musculoskeletal adaptation to the demands of running, and then do one short run with a warmup, Tabata intervals or fartlek, and then a cool-down, to maintain cardiovascular fitness. But I'm not a professional kinesiologist or coach. I do indoor cycling on rollers in the winter, though, when conditions don't permit riding outside. My workouts usually include 2 30-60 minute rides with intervals during the week, and then one 75-90 minute ride on the weekends (so no more than the equivalent of 25-28 miles), and that lets me hit the road at distances over 40 miles when the weather gets better.