Weighing and measuring food

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    yep, exact for salads as they are all basically close to zero cals anyway.

Takes SFA time.

I am much more relaxed about it during non prep times. Still pretty accurate though as I like to analyse data :smile:
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    I weigh most things during prep... I use Sunday as a primary prep day and cook lunches and a couple dinners for beginning of the week,... High protein snacks like sunflower seeds and almonds I use the same containers for easy on the go and marked them for the portions the first time so it is easy to fill up after... I used to weigh my greens and veggies but do not anymore I found that running in my deficit that even if I am off by double( which does not happen ) the calories are not going to amount to enough to make a big impact... Dressings , butter, Marinades and additional condiments all get measured ( these are the calories that can add up and often get overlooked) High sugar foods and fruits are a must for weighing for me as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What type of diet do you eat? How many ingredients in the average meal? How many raw ingredients that do not contain a label?

No special type, not sure what you mean by this. Ingredients vary a lot--much of the time I cook quickly after working late, so I do a basic meat, veggie (or veggies), and starch, and I don't log herbs and spices. For breakfast I do a vegebtable omelet, fruit, some sort of additional protein (also simple to log and always about the same calories). But sometimes I have time to do fussier meals and I like to on occasion, since I enjoy cooking. I have a variety of cookbooks from which I get ideas (usually I don't do recipes) from a wide range of cuisines.

I'm trying to find out if my diet is very different than that of others who measure everything, because it seems so time consuming and cumbersome to me. Most of my meals are prepared from scratch and many contain a lot of ingredients.

I don't cook from recipes so I may add ingredients at any time in the cooking process based on taste - Oh, it's needs a little more onion - now I need to weigh more onion. That type of thing.

Mine are prepared from scratch, but the average daily meal does not contain a lot of ingredients. Like this evening I just had steak, corn, radicchio, and melon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't see how people say weighing is difficult. I'd encourage you to ask yourself seriously why you're mentally making such a federal case out of it, because realistically it's simply not a big deal at all.

Is there any chance that part of you really just desperately wants to avoid being truly honest with yourself about the actual volume of what you're eating, and possibly have to take responsibility for cutting back?

To the first paragraph above: I would imagine people say this because it's true. Not everyone likes what you like, cooks like you cook, or thinks what you think is a big deal is a big deal. People are different. I don't find it difficult, I find it time consuming and frustrating.

To the second paragraph: No. To be honest, I don't even know what you mean with these questions. I know what I eat. I don't sneak food and pretend I didn't. I have already cut back on what I eat and I am losing weight, so not sure what you mean by take resonsibility for it. Who else would or could take that responsibility?

But your post does at least tell me that I'm not the only that finds measuring cumbersome. I guess it just comes down to preference and lifestyle.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of ingredients in almost everything I make. Measuring and logging every little thing seems like a lot of trouble. Overwhelming, even.

Have you logged your recipes under the "recipes" tab? I do this for the recipes that use a lot of ingredients. Only have to do it once, then use it again when you cook it again.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What type of diet do you eat? How many ingredients in the average meal? How many raw ingredients that do not contain a label?

No special type, not sure what you mean by this. Ingredients vary a lot--much of the time I cook quickly after working late, so I do a basic meat, veggie (or veggies), and starch, and I don't log herbs and spices. For breakfast I do a vegetable omelet, fruit, some sort of additional protein (also simple to log and always about the same calories). But sometimes I have time to do fussier meals and I like to on occasion, since I enjoy cooking. I have a variety of cookbooks from which I get ideas (usually I don't do recipes) from a wide range of cuisines.

I'm trying to find out if my diet is very different than that of others who measure everything, because it seems so time consuming and cumbersome to me. Most of my meals are prepared from scratch and many contain a lot of ingredients.

I don't cook from recipes so I may add ingredients at any time in the cooking process based on taste - Oh, it's needs a little more onion - now I need to weigh more onion. That type of thing.

See now your little extra onion probably wouldn't be but eight calories in a batch that would have like six servings or something. At some point you come to realize not every ingredient is created equal. You measure the oil carefully, but with the onion you maintain your sanity and maybe let that one go, or just bump your initial measured quantity a bit

Can you give an idea of a meal you might try to log, your process and the general driving you nuts part?

Here's an example for cooking a beans (black eye peas) recipe I do. Weigh the beans. Usually I just want it to be around 8 oz then I don't have to modify the quantity in my existing recipe. Throw in tomatoes bell peppers and onions into the blender. Sometimes I weigh these sometimes I don't. When it comes time add some palm oil, two table spoons of this is measured carefully because each tablespoon is 130 calories. Rarely if ever do I modify the recipe due to using the same quantities for the most part. I also weigh the yield when all is said and done , but I haven't always done this and have been successful either way

Another example is chicken marinated in a honey mustard mix. I try to keep the honey and Dijon mustard to the same weights each time. Throw the cup on the scale; start adding ingredients and Tare the scale after each. Cut up the chicken, weigh it, throw it in the bake dish and then cover with marinade. Mostly I'm updating the weight of the chicken but the other items are mostly left alone. This helps me get consistent taste too because sometimes when I'm heavy handed on some ingredients it just doesn't taste right.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Examples: Let's say I'm making chili.
    Ground venison - this is a pretty easy one since we freeze it in 1.5 lb packages. Beans, again not too hard since they are in pint jars.

Now, the rest of the ingredients are all pretty low calorie - salsa, tomato sauce, onion, peppers, celery - and any one of them could be skipped with little impact. But if I skip them ALL, then what is the point? And if I have to weigh each of them, that just ruins the fun of cooking for me.

Another - roast chicken. Sounds easy, but do you weigh it, then eat, then weigh again to see what you actually ate? So, I'm taking my dinner refuse and weighing it? And for marinades - do you weigh the marinade before adding meat, then weigh it again after the meat is removed to see how much was absorbed by or coated the meat?

Homemade pickles are also a problem.

I think I've decided to just not log my food for now. I would like to see the calorie counts, but I don't want to put in the effort this site requires. If I stop losing, then I may reconsider.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I resisted logging everything for *years*. Not since 1999 have I been this diligent about being honest with myself about what I eat.

At home, I weigh pretty much everything, or have portion control packages.

On the rare occasions when I eat out, I do my best to calculate if I don't have a nutritional information guide.

Logging and portion control have helped me drop nearly 1/3 of what I want to lose.

Diets focus on hitting a goal weight without changing the relationship with food. Only if I change my relationship with food can I get where I'm going, and stay there. Part of that is knowing what I eat.

Before I started logging everything, I was eating easily 250-500 excess calories a day, and had no clue. That's a pound a week the wrong direction :-/.

My plan? Eat real food, processed as little as possible, but eat what I choose without cutting entire food groups. I don't eat many grains, I eat a lot of protein, and I usually exceed the recommended fats.

For me, it was more about knowing every grande latte is 220 calories, an ounce of cheese is not as much as I think it is, and 2 (2!). Berry Newtons are 100 calories!

I don't like to eat anything "diet" or "lite". The three exceptions I make are "lite" salami, PB2, and 2% Fage. I eat a lot of fruit, occasional vegetables, hummus, and lots of grilled chicken. Or baked chicken. If I want a burger, I go to Fuddruckers for an elk burger. I order fries, but eat only a half portion. If I'm eating grains, it's usually oatmeal, 10 grain cereal, or a Wasa cracker.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I resisted logging everything for *years*. Not since 1999 have I been this diligent about being honest with myself about what I eat.

At home, I weigh pretty much everything, or have portion control packages.

On the rare occasions when I eat out, I do my best to calculate if I don't have a nutritional information guide.

Logging and portion control have helped me drop nearly 1/3 of what I want to lose.

Diets focus on hitting a goal weight without changing the relationship with food. Only if I change my relationship with food can I get where I'm going, and stay there. Part of that is knowing what I eat.

Before I started logging everything, I was eating easily 250-500 excess calories a day, and had no clue. That's a pound a week the wrong direction :-/.

I think we are in very different situations, you and I. I've gained about 30 lbs over the last 10 years or so. That works out to considerably less than 1 lb per week.
  • mbarnson
    mbarnson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My aunt who passed a few years back had a heart attack due to undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes at 40. She required a quadruple bypass, if I recall correctly, and her heart was only operating at 25% capacity. In the wake of her first surgery, she carefully weighed and measured everything she ate, and ate at a stringent caloric deficit for the rest of her life, carefully logging her meals to keep things in check. She went from a morbidly obese forty-something to a thin, energetic forty-something in a few years.

The doctor told her to make the most of the next few years, because back then when she got the surgery (1970s), the life expectancy of a quadruple-bypass patient wasn't great.

She lived for almost forty more years before finally succumbing to the disease that tried to take her so young. She was never without her food scale and a few measuring cups and tablespoons in her purse, and credited that habit and her daily walks with keeping her alive so long.

Her powerful example convinces me that logging and tracking my food intake is worth it. If such caution quadruples the life expectancy of a diabetic bypass patient, imagine what it does for relatively healthy people?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't know how fast I actually gained the weight - in 2009 (I believe), I weighed 175. Some time later I was 185. Then I got sick and as of last June, I was at 225. By this June, I had dropped 5, so I consider my start weight to have been 220. However I got there, that's 45 pounds in 5 years.

Not a pound a week, but that was mostly hyperbole, based on the rule of thumb that "one pound is 3500 calories". I also have varying levels of activity, so probably burned more calories at some times than others, so the excess varied.

That said, all it takes is a tiny surplus - using the 3500 calorie guide, 50 excess calories a day *every day* is still a pound every 10 weeks, or 5 pounds a year. Most of us don't deliberately eat an excess 50 to 90 calories on a daily basis, but it makes the math easy and it demonstrates how the weight can sneak up on one.

In practice, I put on an average of 9 pounds a year. Since I hadn't weighed myself for some time, I don't know if it was 9 pounds a year or gained all at once, but even at only 9 pounds a year, that's <100 calories a day excess. Since I wasn't logging anything before, and since I have no clue about my burn rate, I may have overstated the excess. Or I may have been spot on and gained some or all of the weight at a faster rate.

Regardless, I recognize that as few as 50 calories a day over what I burn, for a sustained period, will put on the pounds.

Since I'm comparatively sedentary, I need to be aware of what I eat, and how much. One 50 calorie cookie may not be a big deal. Six 50 calorie cookies can be.

Knowledge is power. My favorite cookie from my favorite bakery clocks in at a whopping 450 calories. If I'm going to eat one, I need to be more restrained with the rest of my food choices that day/week.

Sure, portion control and accountability are a hassle. So is frequent grocery shopping to buy only the produce I reasonably expect to eat before it goes bad.

Still better than the alternative.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but I measure almost nothing, and I don't have a food scale so anything measured is by volume only. I know from long experience that I estimate high, rather than low, so eyeballing is close enough for me to lose weight.

If I'm making a big pot of something that will be eaten over several meals, or something complex that's a staple food, I'll set up my estimated ingredients as a recipe for ease of entry over time.

If you've had a steady surplus of ~30 calories a day (which works out to 30 pounds in 10 years), you aren't going to be able to eliminate that small of a net surplus by logging calories more diligently, because you can't determine calories burned to that degree of accuracy. And it doesn't take any particular accuracy to lose weight, as long as you're accurate enough to know you're in a deficit.

I will say that it's harder to be 100% sure you're in a deficit if the deficit is small enough that you lose slowly. I lose pretty fast (~1 lb a week) and have enough day to day fluctuation to camouflage a month of steady losses.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Now, the rest of the ingredients are all pretty low calorie - salsa, tomato sauce, onion, peppers, celery - and any one of them could be skipped with little impact. But if I skip them ALL, then what is the point? And if I have to weigh each of them, that just ruins the fun of cooking for me.

For low-calorie-density foods like most vegetables, salsa, etc., I use the USDA entries for "large onion," "celery, raw, medium stalk," etc. Even if you're off by 10-20%, it doesn't make much difference.

Don't skip logging them, but don't aim for needless precision by weighing them when you can use portions by size. Just weigh things like meat, cheese, avocado, nuts, and other calorie-dense solid foods, and measure oil, wine, and things like that.

I cook a lot from scratch and have created over 100 recipes in my MFP database over the course of 20 months. Now when I return to one of those recipes, I just edit it (if need be--it's easier to edit on my iPad than on the website, BTW) and reuse it.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't see how people say weighing is difficult. I'd encourage you to ask yourself seriously why you're mentally making such a federal case out of it, because realistically it's simply not a big deal at all.

Is there any chance that part of you really just desperately wants to avoid being truly honest with yourself about the actual volume of what you're eating, and possibly have to take responsibility for cutting back?

I'm making pasta primavera tonight. There are 18 ingredients in the recipe, 11 of which vary slightly in weight every time I make it, and one of which is home-made chicken demi glace, which isn't an exactly reproducible product. The cooked pasta weight is slightly different each time, and the sauce reduces by a different amount each time. Which means not only would I have to weigh every ingredient, I'd have to weigh the finished product, then weigh my portion of it and calculate how many servings I ate.

I've done that, and it takes more time than cooking or eating. Especially if MFP is being "sticky" about ingredients/nutrients and forces me to delete the entire recipe and re-enter it before it behaves. I'm not willing to do that every night. Especially since it's impossible to get a completely representative serving.

I put the base recipe in MFP and let it match ingredients, estimated a volume and now I log "pasta primavera, 1 cup" and call it darn well good enough. When my husband cooks stir-fried zucchini and chicken in spicy garlic sauce - I log it as chinese food, by the cup. Some estimates are high, some are low - I don't fuss about it, because I don't eat any single recipe often enough that it dominates my diet.

My commitment is that I weigh myself every day and I follow the 10-day linear weighted moving average as my weight. If my weight isn't doing what I want - I adjust.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I'm making pasta primavera tonight. There are 18 ingredients in the recipe, 11 of which vary slightly in weight every time I make it, and one of which is home-made chicken demi glace, which isn't an exactly reproducible product. The cooked pasta weight is slightly different each time, and the sauce reduces by a different amount each time. Which means not only would I have to weigh every ingredient, I'd have to weigh the finished product, then weigh my portion of it and calculate how many servings I ate.

I've done that, and it takes more time than cooking or eating. Especially if MFP is being "sticky" about ingredients/nutrients and forces me to delete the entire recipe and re-enter it before it behaves. I'm not willing to do that every night. Especially since it's impossible to get a completely representative serving.

I put the base recipe in MFP and let it match ingredients, estimated a volume and now I log "pasta primavera, 1 cup" and call it darn well good enough. When my husband cooks stir-fried zucchini and chicken in spicy garlic sauce - I log it as chinese food, by the cup. Some estimates are high, some are low - I don't fuss about it, because I don't eat any single recipe often enough that it dominates my diet.

My commitment is that I weigh myself every day and I follow the 10-day linear weighted moving average as my weight. If my weight isn't doing what I want - I adjust.

LOL I agree 100% that MFP's interface for editing recipes sucks dead donkeys sideways. It's utterly absurd that you can't easily change quantities of ingredients after you add them to the recipe. My recipes with meat vary WIDELY in how much meat I add from one time I cook to the next, because I'm usually cutting up a roast that will vary quite a bit in weight each time I purchase one.

But every time I make prepare a recipe, I go in and edit it with the updated weights. It simply does not take a long time -- unless you are disorganzied. Frankly, the number of ingredients has nothing to do with it. Because weighing each ingredient literally takes only a few seconds. You're chopping and prepping the food anyway -- the weighing part is nothing. It's simply a matter of how organized you are in the kitchen. I will say it probably took me a while to build some new habits to include a weighing plan with my prepping plan, but even at the beginning it simply didn't take long -- it was just frustrating because "Oh, I forgot to get a clean bowl to weigh this ingredient" or "Oh, I put the chopped onions in the bowl with the breadcrumbs before I zeroed out the scale, whoops." But those were my mistakes, my failure to be organized, not the act of weighing itself.

Also, one simple tip: to the greatest extent possible, weigh each ingredient before cooking it, not after cooking. It sounds like maybe you're weighing cooked pasta instead of dry pasta. Weighing cooked foods is a PITA. Not only is the calorie count of cooked foods less accurate (because the cooking method will hydrate / dehydrate foods inconsistently each time you prepare, which will change the weight of the food but not the calorie or nutritional profile), plus you always seem to end up with extra dirty dishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Chili and stew are actually ones that I find a pain, but that's not the logging, but the need to mess around trying to figure out serving sizes at the end. I usually end up estimating, but I also eat very little of that kind of food in warmer weather--it may get more annoying in the winter.
    Examples: Let's say I'm making chili.
    Ground venison - this is a pretty easy one since we freeze it in 1.5 lb packages. Beans, again not too hard since they are in pint jars.

See, to me weighing and logging these doesn't seem to add much. I do it while I'm cooking. Prep, chop, whatever, measure, toss it in. If I go back and add some extra onion I'd weigh it after chopping and toss it in--not because it's meaningful calories, but because it's just naturally part of the process to me. I note it down on a piece of paper.
    Another - roast chicken. Sounds easy, but do you weigh it, then eat, then weigh again to see what you actually ate?

Here's one I make a lot, so it fits with my simple style of cooking and is not burdensome to weigh and log IMO. Yes, you weigh it and weigh it at the end if you put a piece with bone on your plate. Or, if you carve it up before hand and just take meat, you can weigh it before, just dark and white separately.
    So, I'm taking my dinner refuse and weighing it?

In this case, sure. It's easy enough when clearing the table and doing the dishes, IMO.
    And for marinades - do you weigh the marinade before adding meat, then weigh it again after the meat is removed to see how much was absorbed by or coated the meat?

No, I just log the significant parts of the marinade and realize I'm over counting. I don't do a lot of marinades with high-cal ingredients, though.
    Homemade pickles are also a problem.

This is true, but also not especially high in calorie. I just got some pickling cucumbers (I know you pickle a lot of more interesting things from another post), so would probably log them as cucumbers or else look up the USDA entry if there is one. The calories are low enough that it doesn't seem to matter much.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I have been deemed disorganized in the kitchen. I wouldn't have thought so with the amount of cooking, canning, pickling and freezing of food that I do. But the internet says I am. Oh well, I can live with that. I've apparently been happily living with it all my life anyway.

Honestly, I'm not asking for approval or asking anyone to justify why they measure their food. Do your thing. I was just trying to see if I was missing some trick that made this all easy. It seems I am not. It's just not my thing.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Chili and stew are actually ones that I find a pain, but that's not the logging, but the need to mess around trying to figure out serving sizes at the end.

That used to bug me too but I've got an answer for that now! Get ready to have your mind blown.

Once the stew or chili is done, weigh the whole pot of it. (I ultimately had to get a scale that could weigh up to 7 lbs). Now record the recipe in MFP as that number of ounces or grams or whatever you use. I made chili just the other night and the final results ended up weighing 3052 grams, so I recorded the recipe as 3052 servings. (Some people will record it in 100 grams, so 30.52 servings, if you like).

Each time you have a portion, weigh that portion out and log it in MFP as that number of servings. I had a big bowl Sunday night at 480 grams, so I logged it as 480 servings (if I had recorded the recipe as 30.52 servings, then I would have logged 4.8 servings that night). I had a smaller bowl for lunch yesterday at 400 grams, so I logged 400 servings.

Before somebody tipped me off to that I used to just count ladlesful. So when the final pot was done, I'd transfer the contents from the pot to my storage container(s) in ladles and count each one, record the recipe as a number of servings equal to the ladlesful, then each serving I'd count the ladles again. Which frankly, also worked fine but might have been a little less precise.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options

LOL I agree 100% that MFP's interface for editing recipes sucks dead donkeys sideways. It's utterly absurd that you can't easily change quantities of ingredients after you add them to the recipe. My recipes with meat vary WIDELY in how much meat I add from one time I cook to the next, because I'm usually cutting up a roast that will vary quite a bit in weight each time I purchase one.

But every time I make prepare a recipe, I go in and edit it with the updated weights. It simply does not take a long time -- unless you are disorganzied.
    See the dead donkeys above. Having spent 10 minutes with a list of weights, trying to get MFP to update the calories for the recipe accurately? It's not worth my time. Especially if the issue isn't that I used a different amount of a given vegetable, but that I substituted one ingredient for another? Or changed the number of serving sizes? Those usually mean it's faster to recreate the recipe, and I'm not doing that.
    Also, one simple tip: to the greatest extent possible, weigh each ingredient before cooking it, not after cooking. It sounds like maybe you're weighing cooked pasta instead of dry pasta. Weighing cooked foods is a PITA. Not only is the calorie count of cooked foods less accurate (because the cooking method will hydrate / dehydrate foods inconsistently each time you prepare, which will change the weight of the food but not the calorie or nutritional profile), plus you always seem to end up with extra dirty dishes.
    No, the issue is that you have to weigh the finished product as well. And then everything you put on your plate. And that portioning foods isn't accurate either. If I took 10% of the pasta, did I also take 10% of the sauce, and 10% of each of the vegetables? No, probably not. All I'm doing is giving myself the illusion of accuracy.

Especially since what really happens is that I make pasta primavera. My daughter eats mostly pasta and sauce, with a few of her favorite vegetables and tastes of the others. My husband eats sauce and veggies, because that fits his low-carb diet and adds a meat. I eat a mix of all of it, but preferentially eat the vegetables that suit my diet best. There's no benefit to trying to model my recipe vs a "standard" primavera.

I also have real concerns about modeling the behavior of compulsively weighing my food. My daughter is 10. That's a hard enough age to be without your mother demonstrating that women weigh and track every morsel that they eat.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have been deemed disorganized in the kitchen. I wouldn't have thought so with the amount of cooking, canning, pickling and freezing of food that I do. But the internet says I am. Oh well, I can live with that. I've apparently been happily living with it all my life anyway.

Honestly, I'm not asking for approval or asking anyone to justify why they measure their food. Do your thing. I was just trying to see if I was missing some trick that made this all easy. It seems I am not. It's just not my thing.

I just don't understand how putting an item on a scale sucks away the joy of cooking. Guess we're all having trouble understanding each other. And no I wouldn't skip all the supplemental ingredients. I might skip weighing them. If they're canned the nutritional info on the package is good enough. If not I can use MFP's generic entry as suggested by a previous poster. And yeah, I do prefer boneless skinless meat because they're easier to log

Like I said I use the app. Editing recipes is a breeze. If I'm substituting ingredients, I set the one being taken out to quantity 0 and add the new one into the recipe at the quantity I want.