Running with dogs...

Options
My family and I adopted a stray Great Dane or Great Dane/Lab mix yesterday who is a juvenile... I'm excited to get to run with him. Who else runs with their dogs? Do they keep you moving more than what you would alone? :love:

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We also adopted a dog recently, a collie. I was hoping that he could help motivate me to run. Turns out he is the laziest dog in the world and never goes faster than a decent walking pace, and likes to just stop every so often just to stare at the sky. But at least walking him 2 miles a day adds to my overall activity level :p
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yeap - I do .... BUT, if you run with the dog tethered to you on a lead - ensure that you have an elasticated (bungie) section AND a quick release (especially with larger powerfull dogs!!)
  • missmarla73
    missmarla73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I run with a JRT/Chihuahua mix. She weighs 13 lbs and drags me for the whole run! I give her credit for keeping me moving when I'd like to slow down and take it easy!
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My dog LOVES to run. She's a viszla and sometimes her nose gets the best of her. I usually have a hard time keeping up. She definitely motivates me to keep moving, lol.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Before running with your dog, it is important to train your dog on loose leash walking so that she understands that she is not to pull or lag behind, but to keep at your pace. Learning the keep with the owners pace is the most important factor in migrating up to walking. Once walking with a loose leash you can speed up and hopeful you both will find a comfortable pace for each of you.

My wife says our 23 pounder does fine at her pace but my pace, it still a struggle between fast walking on all 4 vs galloping 2 legs by 2 legs.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old a your new pup (not sure how young a juvenile would be)is but check with your vet before starting any running. Big dogs' joints mature slowly and too much running to young can equal problems down the road. Usually they say wait until a Dane is around 18 months to 2 years old before starting any running program to decrease the possible damage to joints.

Start with shorter distances (less than 1/2 mile) and then increase over time. Some Danes are better exercisers and like to run, some are more couch potato-y and don't like the running.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I run/walk with my Pit mix and he loves it, especially now that it is cooler where we live. I am a sloooooow runner so he doesn't get faster that a medium paced trot.
  • NatalieABH
    Options
    I run with my dog, but she is THE most well behaved little staffy in the world . . . . . . . . the problem is other dogs (well other people!) My pooch is in season and attracted the attention of a great dane this week, he chased us around the ENTIRE park, as we both upped our speed to get away from him. His owners watched us run at double pace and waited for me to do an entire lap and return him to where he started - very unimpressed.

My advice would be to make sure your dog is used to you and well trained, you don't want to be worrying for their safety and you also don't want to be interrupting your exercise because Rover has decided he isn't up for it!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    How young a dog?

Dogs shouldn't be running partners until their hip sockets are fully formed and the growth plates are mature because of potentially causing severe hip and leg problems. That would be a different age in each breed. Purposeful running, especially if it's on pavement, with a human is a lot different than letting the dog run during play - and resting when he wants.

Anyway, have fun with your new running buddy. I wish I could take my dog with me, but he has the attention span of a butterfly, and has more than once almost pulled me over with a sudden charge at some imagined enemy or prey. We just go for walks now. I like my limbs intact, thank you.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who commented that your dog needs to be very well trained to walk on a loose leash before you start running with him. If not, you can get hurt pretty badly.

I run with one of my golden retrievers. He is fabulous on the leash. I have one of those leashes that fastens around your waist and a bungee type lead that attaches to his collar. He absolutely loves our runs and having him along with me makes my runs more enjoyable, too.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old a your new pup (not sure how young a juvenile would be)is but check with your vet before starting any running. Big dogs' joints mature slowly and too much running to young can equal problems down the road. Usually they say wait until a Dane is around 18 months to 2 years old before starting any running program to decrease the possible damage to joints.

Start with shorter distances (less than 1/2 mile) and then increase over time. Some Danes are better exercisers and like to run, some are more couch potato-y and don't like the running.

+1

Especially with a Great Dane I wouldn't start leash running or a regular running routine until the vet okays it which I would expect to be around 2 years.

I run with my 2 German Shepherds, who are currently 7. I started running with them around 2 and we have been on and off. One thing to watch out for though is hills, they can do a number to the dogs hips, so I try to avoid them as much as possible. And when you do start running make sure you start slow. If you yourself are already a runner don't assume your dog can go the same distance/pace from the beginning. They need to build up their endurance just like we do.

Of course watch for overheating. My male would go until he collapsed if I let him so I have to make sure I know his signs of when he is tired.

But I LOVE running with my dogs. They encourage me to go longer and faster. Enjoy!
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I take my two year old boxer out with me sometimes. She can run faster than me so it isn't always enjoyable. I'm sure if I did it more, she would get used to it. If we can get into stride, it works out well. :)
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    I like taking my dog out. But PLEASE remember. Dogs are kind of like people in that you cant take a dog whose never ran before out on a two mile run. They need to be trained and started slow.