Nervous about running 5k distance

Options
2»

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    At least for me, running is as much a mental workout as it is a physical one. I regularly run 4+ miles at a time. I still get nervous when I go to 5ks. I know I can do it, but my mind tells me I can't. Its really all about attitude. The other day I left the house with a negative mindset and could only run 1 mile. Yesterday, I went running with my husband and we ran 2.5 miles and I wasn't even trying. The difference was that I believed I could do it.

I regularly "hit a wall" when I'm running (usually around the 2 mile mark right now) and I have to say "I can do this" out loud in order for me to keep going. And I can (like I said, long runs are over 4 miles right now).

Basically, what I'm saying is that its normal for running to be a mental challenge. Believe in yourself and tell yourself that you can keep going even when your mind says that you can't. (Obviously there is the "don't hurt yourself" caveat here)

I am going to second the couch to 5k suggestion. If you feel it was too slow, start on a later week. The end of the program makes bigger jumps week to week than the beginning.

Also, there's no shame in run-walking your first 5k. Your goal should be to finish it. Races are a completely different experience than running by yourself. My first race, I started off way too fast and had a hard time pacing myself while running with a crowd. Your goal should be to finish, whether that means running as slow as molasses or run-walking it.

Edited to add: Another great place to get running training plans is the Hal Higdon website.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I remember one time in high school I "tripped" and "twisted my ankle" on the second lap because I hated it so much. Now it's all head games for me. My feeling is that running is 5% muscle, 5% nutrition and 90% head games. The approach I use is once I start by setting a minimum distance I want to run. I start running and once I get tired and feel like I want to start walking, I start to focus on shorter distances (say about 40 yards or so) telling myself 'ok just run to that spot' and when that spot gets close, pick a new spot. Eventually my mind starts to drift and I'll start thinking about something else and figuring things out. When my mind drifts back to running, I focus on short distances again. Eventually I'll make my minimum and then I'll just keep telling myself 'just a little more' and eventually I'll get a pretty good run for me in.

It's all in finding a distraction and head games that work for you. And remember... just... keep... running......
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 weeks now (4 times a week) and i started of with running 25min/mi and am currently running 15min/mi. A 10 minute diference in 3 weeks. You have plenty of time to improve on your running. Good Luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    You could start with a later week in C25K, it helped me. I am using it again to get faster, using the same intervals but working up to 6mph.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Surprise yourself. Just go do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Take your projected or realistic finish time. (this method works for up to half-marathon very easily)
    Divide by 3.

Walk that long.
    Run that long.
    Walk that long.

There, just did the same amount of time on your feet as the event will take. You got it no problem. So this workout to confirm your clothes and eating prior, ect, all work correctly. Better to find out now some breakfast item is a no-no on race day. Better to find those short socks are too short and the shoe rubs, ect.

A different day.
    Walk 1 mile.
    Run 1 mile.
    Walk 1 mile.

There, just did the distance and went longer time. Now you really got it no problem. Confirm again food and clothes worked well for the time.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh, you have SOOOOO got this. You can do it. You are all over it!

I would recommend that you force yourself to run the whole distance before the actual race day, because you will already have nerves from being in an official race... you don't need extra stress that day! And then you know you will be able to do it.

I might suggest planning out an outside 5K route on a site like mapmyrun.com. An out-and-back route might be best, because you already know you can make it halfway there (ONLY 1.5 mi!!), and at that point you can tell yourself, I'm halfway done! All I have to do is go back to the beginning and I'm done! And then go back to the beginning. I like to whisper to myself in my head, "I'm more than halfway, I'm more than halfway, I'm more than halfway..." and so on, whatever helps you keep going.

GOOD LUCK, you already have everything you need to do it! Just GO DO IT!!!! :-D
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    ...I know how you feel. I'm working on C25k. The first time I ran I was genuinely surprised that I didn't spontaneously develop asthma and have to call 911, fall, totally fail, or die...

Tooooo funny! I just finished week 7 of the C25K program and I remember my first day, I didn't want to run on a trail, because when I collapsed, I wanted to be visible to people so they could call 911, so I completed day one on the sidewalks of my neighbourhood!!

Hard to believe I now run for 30 minutes at a time!! :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    If you can already run a considerable distance then I recommend using the C25K app and just starting in the middle or as far along as you can already do the workouts. The later workouts aren't nearly as slow as the begining weeks. Plus, it will give you the structure to build up your endurance consistently enough that you'll soon find yourself running 5k every time you put your running shoes on.

Also, it helps with the mental hurdles because if it's a tough workout you can't just quit when you're tired. You have to keep running until the app tells you to stop.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am walking in my first 5K this Sunday. I say walking because I will most definitely not be runnning. I will confess that I have done a horrible job training for it. Once I knew I could finish under an hour (which was really early on), I pretty much trailed off. It's not that I haven't continued exercising, but just not 5k specific. Now I wish I had. My suggestion to the OP is to start slow and definitely do the couch to 5k program. So many people have done so well with it.

Keep in mind...it's your first one. Running doesn't have to be the goal yet. The goal should always just to go faster or longer than you did the day before. Keep that up and you'll be running and feeling confident about it.