over a year and no weight loss

Options
123457»

Replies

• fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you were bedridden, and still eating like an athlete, yes. You could put on that much weight. I went from being an athlete (in high school) to being much, much less active and on Birth Control shots, and I gained a lot over the course of 5-6 months. But I really wonder if there isn't something more going on with your health, or at least at that time. I would give logging your food on here a try, and weigh and measure everything you consume. You might be off by a little, or a lot. You never know unless you try. Once you have exhausted the methods you can do on your own, I would go and get those blood tests, and see what's going on. Kudos to you for keeping up the good fight! I wish I could be more help!
  • dennis_legori
    dennis_legori Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Assuming you are 29, 5'10, M, and you want to go from 223 lbs to 165 lbs, then using a calcularor like this one, http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal?metric=0&start_weight=223&weight=165&calculate=1&gender=male&age=29&feet=5&inches=10&activity_level=1&goal_date_month=&goal_date_day=&goal_date_year=&x=58&y=17

You would have to consume 1,629 calories a day - if you can keep your diet to 1,629 calories, you should be losing wt at the rate of 1.5 lbs per week and will reach your goal of 165 lbs around July 15, 2015.

If you walked 2.5 miles, that's about 250 calories, so with walking, you should be able to consume around 1,850 calories.

Note down all the calories you eat, and track them using MFP. Check your weight the same time each morning after you wake up and before breakfast. Eat a heavier healthier breakfast of not just fruits but whole grains (target about 500 calories).

Try having a lighter lunch - a light salad with as many greens as possible. Again try and limit it to less than 500 calories.

Try healthy snacks in between so you don't get hungry - roughly 200 calories for snacks (granola is a good option), so is yogurt.

Try and limit dinner to about 600 calories or less. Try and eat early.

Having smaller meals throughout the day rather than 2 big meals during lunch and dinner helps. Also drink plenty of water - atleast 10 glasses a day, especially before you eat. Helps fill you up faster.

Understand calories - if you have 1,629 calories to work with, thats approximately 500 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and 129 for snacks. Add on exercise of 250 calories, you can eat 550 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and 229 for snacks. Right now if you are not losing weight, unless something else is wrong, you are consuming 2,379 calories each day (that's how many calories are needed to maintain 223 lbs). 500 calories equate to 1lb - so each week if you consume 500 calories less, you lose 1lb. Also if walk and burn 250 calories, that equates to 0.5 lbs lost, assuming you don't eat to make up those calories.

Make small changes, track calories and walk as much as you can. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've read through what you posted that you ate, but what you failed to post is what did you drink throughout the day? Are you drinking hundreds of calories a day... or more? You didn't even put down whether you drank water throughout the day. This is all part of logging what you ate & drank. Did you have condiments on anything you ate? They count too. When you put everything down instead of guessing what its worth, the calories add up. .

I hope you succeed :)
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    [/quote]As a fellow nurse I can assure you that the reason previous diets failed to cause weight loss for you and why your current diet did is because the previous diets failed to put you into a caloric deficit. The current diet did. It's the law of thermodynamics. While I agree there is no 1 approach that "works" for everyone this is because of compliance. Calorie deficits work for 100% of humans, different diets just provide people with different methods of achieving the deficit. If calorie counting "doesn't work" for someone, they are doing it wrong. If they cannot stay compliant with calorie counting then I agree it "doesn't work for them", but this is simply because they cannot stick to/do it correctly. It will however work for 100% of people when executed correctly.
    [/quote]

^This. It is by far the best description i have ever read. You can think of a million reasons as to why, but this, up there, is most probably the reason why you are not losing. Thanks for explaining it so well.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    anything that's going to cost money to do I have to think twice beforehand because I have almost nothing when it comes to disposable income. Otherwise I would have gone to my doctor and nutritionist rather than going on the internet. so If I do want to weigh all my food, that means I will have to save the money for a couple weeks to buy a scale, then the two weeks to actually use it.

It is better for you to save up the $20 for a food scale and to use on EVERYTHING for another 2 weeks and be SURE if that is the problem or not - then to ask for solutions here and not get the information you need.

IF you get the scale and weigh consistently for at least 2 weeks and find that yes, your logging is accurate (and please start logging HERE not on paper. Use the MFP logs to do it) and you find that you are at a deficit and not losing, THEN you can start to look at other possible causes.

Besides, if you have been stuck for a year, what is another month? (2 weeks to save and 2 weeks to log properly?)
    If nothing else, it will give you solid proof to show your doctor that is must be a medical issue....