Facial tattoos...

Replies

• dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    This whole "can't get tattoos for career purposes" must be an American thing. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in Canada.
    You could get a job in a professional office, especially working with the public, with a facial tattoo? Your attorneys have them? Doctors? Politicians or their staff?

You can certainly GET a job in the US with a facial tattoo. But what profession you choose may dictate whether it's a good idea.

I work for the Provincal government and my boss has tattoos from feet to eyes. I have an attorney in my building with a tattoo like mine on her forearm. Doctors I've seen with tattoos. Janet Monroe had a face tattoo while on City Council in Ontario.

Yes well, we do have something called the Human Rights Code which prohibits discrimination based on someone's appearance. I also work for the government and could tattoo my entire body if I chose to and not get fired. :ohwell:

Actually it's not against the law in Canada to discriminate against tattoos and piercings, but people do tend to sue for that which gets a lot of press and is bad for business. I think that's the main reason we're so accepting of them.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I love when people mistake the desire to provide contrasting view points with anger simply because it doesn't fit into their own social constructs :smile:

You have no idea what my social constructs are nor should you assume that I am religious or anti-tattoo solely because I didn't want to follow you into your rabbit hole discussion of religion and ethics. One can judge someone pretty severely while holding liberal political views, as you seem to be demonstrating quite effectively. Perhaps, you should hold off on the assumptions and return to the topic at hand. Or not. Your choice.

The reality is that certain professions call for a certain appearance and demeanor that is quite similar across international borders because those professions are international in nature. There are exceptions. The criminal lawyer in Queens will get away with more than, for example, the financial lawyer in Toronto. Models will get away with more than bankers, for another, and I think that is where much of the disagreement about professional appearance is coming from in this thread.

You don't quite get it. I can't be bothered to explain. As someone who works with several high profile attorneys that are covered in tattoos...your argument is invalid.

You missed the point I made specifically about certain types of attorneys having more freedom than others. And, everything else I wrote. It's like speaking down to a three year old, but hey you are a "model." lol So there's that. You all are a pretty stupid bunch.

#waitingonstrike
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    I love when people mistake the desire to provide contrasting view points with anger simply because it doesn't fit into their own social constructs :smile:

You have no idea what my social constructs are nor should you assume that I am religious or anti-tattoo solely because I didn't want to follow you into your rabbit hole discussion of religion and ethics. One can judge someone pretty severely while holding liberal political views, as you seem to be demonstrating quite effectively. Perhaps, you should hold off on the assumptions and return to the topic at hand. Or not. Your choice.

The reality is that certain professions call for a certain appearance and demeanor that is quite similar across international borders because those professions are international in nature. There are exceptions. The criminal lawyer in Queens will get away with more than, for example, the financial lawyer in Toronto. Models will get away with more than bankers, for another, and I think that is where much of the disagreement about professional appearance is coming from in this thread.

You don't quite get it. I can't be bothered to explain. As someone who works with several high profile attorneys that are covered in tattoos...your argument is invalid.

You missed the point I made specifically about certain types of attorneys having more freedom than others. And, everything else I wrote. It's like speaking down to a three year old, but hey you are a "model." lol So there's that. You all are a pretty stupid bunch.

#waitingonstrike

LOL, and this is why people like you amuse me. I don't get offended because I believe in mind over matter. I don't mind because you don't matter.
  • SunofaBeach14

#waitingonstrike

LOL, and this is why people like you amuse me. I don't get offended because I believe in mind over matter. I don't mind because you don't matter.

That's adorable. Did you figure out that rhyme on your own? I knew you could
  • JojoW8183
    :laugh: I did actually. I think it's quite cute in fact. Please continue to prove your intellectual superiority, you're doing a spectacular job :wink:
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    suits-0-gmacht1.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    I think it's time to crack open a beer, put my feet on my desk, and watch this continue.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Banner_FaceTattoo_1.jpg

Supposed to be the aforementioned Ontario Councilor, Janet Monroe.

Don't judge. It's Niagara Falls. Too bad, she WAS pretty hot for an older woman.

Although, I'm pretty sure this is a hoax.
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    I work in a prison... so i see lots of people with face tattoos... about 99% of them say the regret getting them or got them when they were under the influence.... if its your thing go for it ... but think real hard first lol
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    My best friend thinks he wants a neck tattoo. When he told me I was like "Man, that sucks....we aren't going to be able to hang out in public anymore..." Somewhat in jest of course.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I used to date this guy and his buddy's girlfriend had vampire teeth capped over her eye teeth and had a blood drop tattooed under her bottom lip. I judged. I am still judging.

:laugh:
  • iAmStarStuff27
    iAmStarStuff27 Posts: 109 Member
    Not facial but I am rocking knuckles and a serious neck tat. I'm also a CNC programmer, head of our lean steering committee, I teach a GD&T course at a community college and interact daily with engineers and shop owners. I admit I am near tat friendly Seattle but still, my artwork has NEVER come up. It has no bearing on my personality, it does not effect my career in the least. Any apprehension people may have usually melts away when they find out I'm a very nice dude.

I wouldn't be down with an employer who discriminates anyways.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'm sure someone knows this better than me but there are cultures that have been tattooing and using scarification on the face for centuries.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    ok.
    Just for fun, I googled face tatoos.

With the exception of cultural tatts, oh brother :huh: it's baaaaad :sick:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Was just coming to say that^ :laugh:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    There's one guy with a giant penis on his face and it looks like he's scared of it. :laugh:
  • JojoW8183
    Super cute

091713_kvd_main_hero.jpg
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    I think Maori women with ta moko look so stunning. I don't care for most non-cultural face tattoos though, especially gang ones. They mainly make me sad, rather than judgemental.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    "What is something you do that you know you will be judged for and what is something you judge others for?"

This was the OP's actual question....

I judge people for doing things that are ONLY meant to attract attention but they try to make it like it's "who they are" when I used to (and sometimes still) do the same thing.

I also judge women for being so easily swayed by a man's bs and if the situation was reversed, I'd probably do the same thing.

Basically, I judge humans for doing inherently human things. We are only trying to be happy and have some company, so I need to be a little less harsh on us.
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    The great Brian Setzer once said,' My daddy told me to never get a tattoo you can't cover up with a suit in front of a judge or you'll already be guilty.' I'd like to think I've done well following this idea