MFP LADIES

Options
MFP ladies - how do you deal with PMS cravings? These next couple of weeks will be the death of me.

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I give in and don't sweat it. It happens.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Find a bunch of low low calorie snacks. 40cal fudgesicles help me!

Stay busy!

Drink water, tea, etc.

Don't beat yourself up if you go over, but don't use PMS as an excuse to go over.

Remember that you'll be PMS-ing twelve times a year for the next twenty-ish years (judging your age from your profile pic), and you don't want to make this time of the month a free for all. Don't restrict yourself too much (its ultimately just calories in vs. calories out), but don't set a precedent that every time you're PMS-ing you have an all access pass to the ice cream :)

Also it helps me to remember that the hunger is a mental/hormonal thing. My stomach and body aren't actually screaming at me to eat an entire jar of nutella lol. I love the feeling of being stronger than my cravings!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself too much (its ultimately just calories in vs. calories out), but don't set a precedent that every time you're PMS-ing you have an all access pass to the ice cream :)

^ I second this.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As with the rest of this process, it's about portion control. Want chocolate? Fine, have a bar and leave it at that.

Know your limitations. If you buy a container of ice cream and know you're just going to eat it all in a day or two, that's not a good idea. Find something different like those fudgecicles mentioned or almond/coconut milk ice cream or just go to the corner store and get one novelty ice cream bar. I personally like the McD's cones - only 170 cal and pretty darn good. You can also get the chocolate dipped now for, I think only 270 cal, but don't try to eat them in the car. Messy! :)

And keep working out even if you don't feel like it. I tend to get really whiny but I still push through.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Yep, me too!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The title reminded me of:
    giphy.gif

Plan treats in your day... Always room for something yumtastic.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I rarely experience an increase in hunger/cravings before/during my period. I also don't usually bloat or cramp. So it's business as usual for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping menopause will take care of it.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Plan the food you crave in to your day in advance (I have a small chocolate bar nearly every evening).

Drink lots of water (I set a timer to drink a beaker of water every hour).

Distract yourself. Go to the gym.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My BC eliminated my periods so I don't really have cravings etc...sorry.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I usually wind up eating more chocolate over all and I go hungry at night because I'm not adding to my day significantly.

But I'm confused when you say "the next couple of weeks"

I mean- it happens every month- if its a couple of weeks long process and you blow your diet off for that time frame- then you're not going to move very quickly.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

Yep, me too!

I just don't OVERindulge, but I do give in and enjoy it!
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to my calories the best I can but when I'm feeling crappy and having mood swings I just let myself grab what I want but try to keep it in moderation. A little indulgence won't kill you or ruin your whole diet ;)
  • sugargirl223
    Options
    I let myself give in one day and try to eat normal the other days I have cravings.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I somewhat give in... :grumble: i need more!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I usually wind up eating more chocolate over all and I go hungry at night because I'm not adding to my day significantly.

I mean- it happens every month- if its a couple of weeks long process and you blow your diet off for that time frame- then you're not going to move very quickly.

I'm glad I'm not the only to notice that the OP said "WEEKS"

I feel like that'd be a reason to talk to a gyno if it's lasting weeks - pretty sure that's not good...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I was wondering about that too. You make it sound like you spend half of your life (every two weeks) trying to fight off cravings that are period related.

Make sure that your intake is accurate overall. If you are eating too little every day, you may just be hungry. If you intake is spot on, try to account for the treats. And if you have problems for several weeks, you need to work on increasing your willpower overall. (And if you really have PMS for multiple weeks, you should see your doctor. I believe there is an actual disease that is essentially severe and very long PMS and there is medication for it.)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I do better some periods than others. It helps when I see them coming. This month I started earlier than I expected (because I'm bad at math) and it wasn't great.

If you need a chocolate fix, fudgesicles are great. So are things like chocolate Greek yogurt or Yoplait's chocolate whipped yogurt. Chocolate powder mixed with vanilla Greek yogurt makes a good mousse that can be mixed with fruit or eaten alone. There are chocolate flavored teas that are pretty good, too. I might also buy chocolate pudding snacks to keep around or a couple of high quality dark chocolate bars that I can savor (also high in iron).

I reach for comfort foods on my period so I tend to stock lower cal versions of those. I also tend to go a little higher on carbs during my period. I don't think there's a science behind this, it's just what makes me feel better. I'll buy single serving cups of mac & cheese or even instant noodles and add meat & veg. Sloppy joes or meatloaf or other childhood favorites play a big role in my diet that time of month.

Also, it helps me to be able to name it. When I'm going for the fridge or thinking about getting that second candy bar it helps to say "no, this is just my PMS." It doesn't always stop me, but I like to be able to put a reason to why I'm eating. I tend to be an anxiety eater. PMS and the hormones involved make me more anxious. If I can get in front of that anxiety and do some stress relief before I get to the food, sometimes that helps. Watch for your emotional triggers and see what helps you to stop them.

And in the end, most of us slip up at some point or another. Forgive yourself, try not to stress about it, and learn from it. And if you're feeling emotionally vulnerable then stay off the scale for a week or two.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I might up my calories by about 100-200, but nothing beyond that. And it also depends on the month. Some months I get super hungry, others it doesn't really cause any excess hunger. But, if I'm hungry, I will eat something small.

Don't use it as an excuse to go crazy. If you handle this time correctly, there should be no reason, why you won't still lose weight.