Gluten allergies?

Hey all,

I'm not new to the site, but I am back after a hiatus and with a totally new and awesome celiac diagnosis :noway: . I took the time to figure out how and what to eat but have gained a substantial amount of weight in the process. Yea, those people that think gluten free equals slim and healthy, you're wrong! There is plenty of GF crap out there to eat, trust me, I've tried it all. Not to mention cheese is usually totally gluten free. Mmmm cheese. I've now learned that there is healthy GF eating and unhealthy GF eating and I am trying to regain a healthy lifestyle sans gluten. Just wondering if there are any groups or threads out there that anyone knows of to check out?

Thanks!

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Hi there is a gluten free board on here which is pretty good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free

Just a word of warning that you might get shouted at as coeliacs is not a gluten allergy but an auto immune disorder.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Hi There,

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis :(

I have it too, diagnosed about five years ago.

There are a lot of threads and groups on here. You are totally right with your conclusion that a lot of crap is still gluten free and a lot of gluten free foods are crap.

I rarely eat gluten substitutes. I just eat foods that don't have gluten in them. The large lack of processed carb-y foods like breads, pastas, pastries, etc. is something that I think has been key to my loss of body fat and gain in muscle. Think of it has a gift if you can!

There are lots of good grains that provide complex carbs and solid energy: like gluten free steel cut oats, quinoa, buckwheat (I know, counterintuitive because of the name) and brown rice.

Good luck on your journey! You'll find it gets easier. Feel free to 'friend' me and snoop on my diary. I am pescatarian
    too.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    You are right...crap is crap..even if it's gluten free...I know I have to watch my carb intake to lose weight...just joined..trying to lose50lbs..again...feel free to friend me if you want!

• Just a word of warning that you might get shouted at as coeliacs is not a gluten allergy but an auto immune disorder.

Good to know!

I usually refer to it within my circle (doctor's, family, close friends) as an auto immune disease, but I find it easier and more comprehensible for others who aren't familiar with the disease when you use the word "allergy." It's not my job to educate people who don't really care, I know some other celiacs who DO NOT feel the same way I do. :smile:

Thanks for the tip!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member

Just a word of warning that you might get shouted at as coeliacs is not a gluten allergy but an auto immune disorder.

Good to know!

I usually refer to it within my circle (doctor's, family, close friends) as an auto immune disease, but I find it easier and more comprehensible for others who aren't familiar with the disease when you use the word "allergy." It's not my job to educate people who don't really care, I know some other celiacs who DO NOT feel the same way I do. :smile:

Thanks for the tip!

I agree it is much easier just to say allergy most of the time especially if you say an autoimmune disorder they want to know the gory details (normally over lunch for some reason) but will get people pointing it out. I think partly you get people who think they have an allergy and say they have coeliacs and then go an eat bread. Must admit the growth in gluten free food has been amazing in the last 10 years and its much easier to find something to eat although gf food tend to be much higher in fat and sugar as you have already found. I love the craze that being gluten free equals weight loss as I came to this site 100lbs overweight and been gluten free for 20 years. Anyway if you check out the gluten free group there is lots of useful stuff on there and there are lots of good cookbooks and recipes online that cater for us.