When do you start buying new clothes?

Options
I'm down almost 20lbs now (almost at the halfway point) and most of my clothes are a bit baggy on me now. My pants are now falling down on me if I don't wear a belt. My wife keeps telling me I need to go buy new ones, but for some reason I keep thinking that if I do I'll jinx myself.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have faith in yourself! I buy them as soon as my old ones are too big to look nice, which is usually shortly after I move down into a new size. I try to stick with a pair of black pants and a black skirt each time (for work) so that I can wear them a couple of times a week without it being too noticeable since the goal is to continue moving down a size. You should allow yourself to go get something that fits well. It's encouraging to look in the mirror and see yourself in the new size. Do it!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    For work clothes i just continued to notched my belt till about 100lbs down when my wife told me that my pants and shirts they were just hanging off and needed new work clothes. That was when i started moving on to updating my whole wardrobe period (now my progress clothes are on the way out). Just need to get some type of fashion sense lol.

Maybe get a few new sets (or used) to wear for the workplace then maybe hit the local savers and or thrift stores for casual pieces.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If 20 lbs is half of your weight loss goal, I would say, fiscally speaking, get a belt and but new clothes later rather than sooner. No point in spending that money more than once. Just my two cents.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was so ecstatic when I first started losing weight I made the mistake of buying some nice clothes to 'treat myself'. Within a few months, they were completely unwearable. I'd say hold off on buying expensive clothes until you get close to your goal. I've really learned to enjoy thrift shopping though. You can find nice things for cheap.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    My opinion is that if you are not buying new clothes its like saying you will need the ones you in right now again. I say bag up the old ones get rid of them asap and buy new and keep moving forward.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have faith in yourself! I buy them as soon as my old ones are too big to look nice, which is usually shortly after I move down into a new size. I try to stick with a pair of black pants and a black skirt each time (for work) so that I can wear them a couple of times a week without it being too noticeable since the goal is to continue moving down a size. You should allow yourself to go get something that fits well. It's encouraging to look in the mirror and see yourself in the new size. Do it!

This!^

Reward yourself with something that looks good on you. But, keep it basic enough that you can get the most wear out of it.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lol im cheap and hate shopping. Wearing 46 pants and i fit comfortably into 36's, wearing 3xlt shirts and i fit in 1xlt's. Kinda doing the whole waiting until i get to goal, even though many people have argued with me about it.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores! If you buy nice pants you may be tempted to stay at that weight bc you love those pants (I have actually done this.) I buy clothes from thrift stores all the time, it saves SO much money and there's so many clothes there that have been worn maybe once or twice.
  • erasure999
    erasure999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right, Monica. I think that may be part of the reason...that subconsciously I think I may need these clothes again.
  • hrcc2000
    hrcc2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I second (and third) the suggestion of thrift stores. I just bought a pair of jeans in a smaller size this weekend. I don't think I'll wear them long. I hope to get the next size down soon!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you have more weight to go...then buy only as needed. If a belt is required to keep them on your hips then shop.

I shopped at Value Village to replace a pair of jeans when I needed them, and I hit up Boxing day sales for a few transition pieces. Otherwise I waited until closer to 35lb mark to shop. By then I couldnt ignore it. I got away with it for that long only because it was winter and I wore tights under my pants. In the end I skipped a size and since then dropped another one. Good news is that even though I didnt get much wear out of the inbetween size, winter is coming up and northern Canada requires thick tights under your pants all winter long.

Yeah, I looked bad for about 4 months as the seat of my pants got baggier and baggier but I didnt want to spend money on interim clothes. Buying clothes that fit you as needed you won't jinx you- buying an entire wardrobe...maybe.
  • mazzzery
    mazzzery Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    oh yes! i can't wait for the clothes buying bit :) hopefully sooner than later, that actually is a great motivation for me, i hate buying clothes in the size i am now, will be great to be able to wear clothes suitable to my natural shape, :)
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I bought some new work pants (moved from size 40 to 38) about 35-40 lbs down and new shorts (moved from size 40, one pair of old 38s to size 36.) about 45-50 lbs down. I need to go down another size in work pants to size 36. I also need a suit because my only one was big on me when I was a lard *kitten*. It is going to be pricey but I don't mind.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good Will is your friend ;)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I made my husband buy new pants almost as soon as he lost his first 20. his pants were way too baggy.
    funny thing is, we went to buy new ones, and now he's lost so much, even those are too big
    :smile:
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It depends how you go about dressing yourself. For myself, I didn't really care how well or horribly I dressed, so I just kept the baggie close. At some point I would find some slacks here and there on clearance racks.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are your friend while you're still losing.

My pants, the ones I wear most frequently, I just take in. (It helps that I can sew.) The sturdy uniform pants are 8" smaller than they started out. :bigsmile:
    Maybe you can find a friend or someone's wife (yes, I realize that's a sexist assumption, but I know waaay more women who sew than men) through work or church, or put a notice on the grocery bulletin board, to get someone to take in your pants. It's pretty simple for most of them. (Sometimes pockets & beltloops & stuff are in really awkward places.)

Won't apply to you, but I bought new bras at about 40 lb down because that's one thing I can't take in. Might have to do it once more before I hit goal (80 lb down, then 110-120 lb down), but I've promised myself that when I hit my goal weight I will buy several nice _sets_, as well as some everyday wear pieces. (And maybe I'll find someone to show them off to, too!) :love:
  • Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I shop @ Goodwill or other resale shops while losing. I did it before & will do it again. Why spend too much on a size I don't plan on staying in. Once at goal, I shop where I choose.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would encourage new clothes. They don't need to be expensive. I was nervous and struggled with wearing fitted clothes for awhile too. I would bet weight loss changes the way we each see our body.

I got rid of everything, in a bag and did an exchange at my gym. What didn't get taken went to goodwill. I decided that if I ever go back-I will be punished and need to buy new clothes.

I am still 10 pounds from goal and struggle with buying however I do...Goodwill, thift stores, rummages, etc. are great ways to get new items for much. There are some wonderful online rummages on FB where I live and I barter mine for theres sometimes.

ENJOY
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I buy myself new clothes all the time, even at my current weight. Even if it's not a smaller size, wearing something that I like and that's new, as well as looking at all the clothes I'll get to wear when I'm thinner, keeps me motivated.