Snacks: Fruit or protein

Options
Hey, so i've always struggled with snacking on the 'right' foods when I've got a long day at work. Usually my afternoon snacks consist of vegetable sticks with hummus & some nuts or something, but when I'm at work I get more hungry in the afternoons & start to crave sugar so I like to go for something bigger (plus i don't have time to sit and eat vegetable sticks at work).

I work in a gym and we sell protein bars so for a while I would have a protein bar which would keep me full but I never liked the idea of it because it 1. came from a packet 2. i feel more bloated when i eat these bars

so i opted for fruit instead because 1. all natural 2. lower in calories 3. obviously high in sugar which would kill my cravings (and also my after dinner cravings, so i could go home and just eat a nice salad, instead of eating a higher carb meal and sweet stuff after my meal because my body doesn't feel full enough and i have all these cravings.) i also don't feel bloated or anything after i eat the fruit.

anyway i'll give you a brief overview of what i normally eat
breakfast: smoothie > banana, coconut water, blueberries, protein powder
snack: apple, nuts
lunch: chicken salad
snack: mandarine, pear
dinner: tuna salad

SO my dilemah is, all the PT's i talk to are against fruit, they say i should eat protein bars instead of fruit especially because they are easier to break down and digest. my friend who's a pt also said he can't remember the last time he ate a piece of fruit... which made me feel bad considering i ate 4 pieces :///

So what are all your thoughts on this, what should i do... protein bar in afternoon for snack, or fruit?

Ps. my goal is weight loss

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Those PT's need to be educated on how nutrition works.

For weight loss.... it's about CALORIES.

Don't go over your daily intake = you lose weight..... it's simple.

Eat what you want, not what you think is going to make you shed lbs. You'll be miserable if you don't adapt to this mentality.
  • JennaNevada
    JennaNevada Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, protein bars make me feel bloated & gross and they're processed as hell. Easier to digest, give me a break. There's no one-rule-to-fit-all-bodies. Listen to your body. What does YOUR body feel better eating?

I thing you're making great nutritional decisions, myself.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The problem PTs have with fruit is that the fructose in it spikes your blood sugar and messes with insulin sensitivity and thus makes it harder to lose weight in the long term.
    My pt has recommend that fruit in moderation is fine (a pound of strawberries is better than an entire pizza ) but other snacks like protein bars, nuts, organic jerky, celery sticks, broccoli, ect are better and (the protein heavy snacks anyway) more filling.

ETA: If your PT is giving you food instructions like this that don't makes sense, ask them to explain the science / reasons they want you to do it. If they can't explain why this healthy for you you should probably stop listening to everything they say :/

ETA: try finding organic protein bars over the internet. I know the store brands are awful and full of soy. I like GoLean and Poliquin, they taste incredibly healthy (ie: almond paste and protein powder) but very filling and I've never had a bad reaction the o them.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The problem PTs have with fruit is that the fructose in it spikes your blood sugar and messes with insulin sensitivity and thus makes it harder to lose weight in the long term.

I don't think apples really spike your blood sugar that much. I find it difficult to believe that eating an apple a day would keep someone from losing weight if they counted it in their calories for the day.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Protein is actually harder to digest. It is simply more complex. As long as you have no problem with the sugar enjoy your fruit. The fiber also helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Add some nuts or peanut butter to further slow sugar spikes if you want.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat a "protein" bar from nature valley- it's just nuts essentially but they are 190 calories and 10 grams- so not a huge pay out- but it's something. Coupled with 2 hard boiled eggs- it gets me through the evening usually pretty well.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I usually do a mix of protein with my fruit. Fruit alone doesn't fill me up for long, but I love it, so I will have my fruit with protein and/or fat.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit, or anything else, will not prevent weight loss by itself. It is the total calories consumed that will determine that.

Fruit is fine as long as it does not put you over your calorie goal. Some fruits are more nutritious than others and can be a good way to get some carbs in for energy and when craving something sweet.

Protein bars are convenient and some of them taste like candy bars.

I eat beef jerky instead because...jerky.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You could try another kind of protein bar. Fruit doesn't fill me up at all, but if it works for you, go for it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I like my fruit with protein or fat. Berries in yogurt, apple with nut butter, etc. Find it way more filling than fruit on it's own.
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Friut has other benefits over protein bars such as fiber which a body needs. Eat the fruit with some almonds and you should be set.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are easier to digest? Protein? No, that's not right.

http://woman.thenest.com/digests-first-protein-carbohydrates-fat-10342.html
  • rfpemp
    rfpemp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this topic question. I was just told a couple days ago by some Marines I work with that I should stop eating fruit because of the sugar. I love my apple on the way to work, and my daily pear, and my random peaches a few times a week. I was hating the thought of having to give them up.

Now I know to just couple the fruit up with a protien source and I don't have to give them up.

If only eating peanut butter with my Ritz crackers worked the same way!
  • Want2BHealthyy
    Options
    Thankyou so much everyone for replying! :)