Advice on trainers/gymshoes needed.

Options
I'm sure this gets asked a lot but I have a couple of needs that are slightly different. Looking to buy a pair for use in the gym - mostly treadmill etc with a possibility of upgrading to jogging/running outside. Main requirements are

- *extremely* lightweight (preferably 250g at max). My feet can't lift more than a certain amount of weight - to give an example, I physically cannot walk in MBTs.
- hardwearing. When I have a gym membership (and I've just bought a new one) I try my best to go every day or at least 5 days a week so a pair of shoes that can stand up to that would be great.
- I have slightly shortened calf muscles due to a long hospital stay. I wear heels a lot during the day to ease my feet, but I try and walk around barefoot in the evenings a lot to stretch them out a little since it's too painful to wear flats all day. So anything (again, like MBTs) that forces lengthening of the calf muscles isn't a good idea for me.

Pricewise I'm pretty broke (becoming a student again) but I'd be willing to save up a little - though probably not more than £100. I'm in Ireland at the moment but anything that can be found here or in the UK is great.

Thanks very much for any help, it'd be really appreciated. The frontrunners (heh) so far from online research are the Nike Free Run version 3 trainers, but I'd love any personal take on it.

Replies

• miakristina
    miakristina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've run in Mizunos for years, love them - but they're not cheap. I recently bought a pair of Karhus which I love even more. Very light weight and half the price. Since you have foot/calf issues I would recommend going to see an orthopedic doc and asking about custom insoles. I have a pair and they make a huge difference - less foot pain, less knee and hip pain. You can move them from shoe to shoe (although they won't work in dress shoes). They aren't cheap either, but they'll last for years. Well worth the investment, I'd say. Good luck!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I can't advise on a particular shoe but wanted to warn you to get your shoes in the uk if you can as they are a ridiculous price in Ireland. I always buy asics and get them delivered from UK sports shops (usually via ebay) as, even with the delivery charge, it works out a lot cheaper (I am talking nearly half price). Hope you get something that suits you.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've run in Mizunos for years, love them - but they're not cheap. I recently bought a pair of Karhus which I love even more. Very light weight and half the price. Since you have foot/calf issues I would recommend going to see an orthopedic doc and asking about custom insoles. I have a pair and they make a huge difference - less foot pain, less knee and hip pain. You can move them from shoe to shoe (although they won't work in dress shoes). They aren't cheap either, but they'll last for years. Well worth the investment, I'd say. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll google Karhus in particular. Appreciated.
    I can't advise on a particular shoe but wanted to warn you to get your shoes in the uk if you can as they are a ridiculous price in Ireland

Excellent point! I've definitely noticed that things are so much more expensive here. Thanks for the ebay tip also