Thinking about my activity level

Options
I've always had my activity level set to sedentary, because lets face, most of my day is spent sitting on the couch. But about a month ago we got a dog, and he is stubborn and has trained me to take him on a mile walk twice daily in order to get him to do all his business. I don't really think of these walks as a dedicated workout, since they have to happen if I want to save my carpet, and even though I try to make the most of it and walk at a brisk pace, pausing every two minutes for him kinda defeats that purpose.

So anyway, I'm trying to decide if that is enough of an increase to justify changing activity level, or if these should be considered exercise. Does anyone know if there is a step count to activity level chart or something I can go off of? Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, MFP has my calorie goal set at 1200 now, so I really want to be sure that I am not under-eating and doing more harm than good by under-eating on a daily basis

Replies

• All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't increase your activity level for that. I'd just call it a buffer in calories burned for any calorie logging that may not be completely accurate. Congrats on the 44lbs!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're walking an extra two miles every day, an extra 100-200 calories per day is probably reasonable. Not sure about actually changing your activity level but it will probably have a similar effect as to what I just mentioned.
  • Helenad4
    Options
    Are you counting your walks in on your calorie counter? If not do keep in mind that this does allow a little wiggle room regarding your consumable calories, I mean a little because as you know yourself it's a combination of exercise and nutrition that encourage weight loss.

Why do you want to change your activity?
    Just as a side note most people need roughly 600kcals to survive, I mean just lying there awake, the additional 600 is to cover everything else you do. If you are leading a relatively sedimentary life I'd say you are safe enough at 1200 but if it's a case you find you are doing some high intensity exercises 3+ times a week for 45mins or more then change your activity.

I work an office job so I'm also sedimentary, I also do two cardio classes a week which are 70mins but I still don't consider myself anything other than sedimentary because the majority of my day is sitting on a chair in front of a computer.

Keep powering through you are doing great :smile:
  • lemonlime006
    Options
    I'd add it in as cardio. I have a fitbit and it tracks my steps and syncs with MFP. I love it. I have my settings set to sedentary because I am a student and most of my day is sitting reading books, or sitting at a computer, or sitting in class. I workout usually a couple of times a day, and include that in exercise, but still leave my regular daily movement as sedentary. I think it's more accurate.