Cant lose weight and questions about activity level

Options
Hey everyone, So im 6'0 153-155 pounds (depending on the day), and im having a hard time losing weight. Im trying to eat 1220 calories a day as thats what MFP recommended to lose 2 pounds a week. Im at the gym doing a 50 minute spin class and 40 minute weight workout 3-4 days a week with running on the days in between. I am a student meaning i sit for 50 minute intervals during the day but other then that im always on the go. Am i eating the right amount of calories??

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, So im 6'0 153-155 pounds (depending on the day), and im having a hard time losing weight. Im trying to eat 1220 calories a day as thats what MFP recommended to lose 2 pounds a week. Im at the gym doing a 50 minute spin class and 40 minute weight workout 3-4 days a week with running on the days in between. I am a student meaning i sit for 50 minute intervals during the day but other then that im always on the go. Am i eating the right amount of calories??

At 6' 153-155, you're already at a healthy weight. 2 lbs a week is entirely too agressive and probably unattainable since you'd basically have to starve yourself in order to create that large of a calorie deficit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you do not have realistic goals, unless there was a typo? (Did you mean you're 5'0" perhaps?)

If you truly need to lose a few pounds, try a .5 or 1 pound per week goal. And other than that, expect it to take time. When your body is almost at goal you won't see fast changes.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    no typo aha im tall :)...and when i change my goal to 1 pound weight loss a week it says i can eat 1710 cals...but that seems like wayyyy to much :s
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    no typo aha im tall :)...and when i change my goal to 1 pound weight loss a week it says i can eat 1710 cals...but that seems like wayyyy to much :s

It's not. I am 5'11" and my maintenance calorie range is 2600-2700. If I ate 1710 a day, I'd lose a pound a week.
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what sucks once you get to those last ten pounds or so, is that they, for some reason, are significantly harder to take off. Further more, the low calorie approach works best for those that have alot to lose. When you've lost a bunch of weight, your body works more efficiently. Cutting calories tricks it (silly body) into dreaded starvation mode, causing metabolic processes to slow, etc, etc. At this point, you have to eat to lose. Keep your fitness routine, it sounds pretty thorough. I say, increase your daily calorie intake while still exercising to avoid a caloric deficit. It sucks because 10 pounds turns into 10 weeks, instead of 5 weeks, but at this point in your weight loss journey, I think that's all that can be done.
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A pound is approx 3,600 calories. which comes to 514/day. So a change in goal from 2 pound lost a week to one pound lost a week will add about 500 is to your daily allowance. so those numbers make sense.

One thing though, if you allow the program to add your work out calories to your daily allowance be very carful of them. It is proper to do it, but just weighing your food you should be mindful of the calories from exercise. Intensity level plays a big role. If the calculator says you burned 1,700 calories for playing a round of golf you should be suspicious.

But in reality at your progress I think the scale should no longer be your primary measure of success. Rather use body measurements, muscle tone, the mirror, physical ability measurement, etc.

At one point in my past I was much healthier at 180 lbs than I was at 165 lbs.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    I weigh all my food on a scale and such. But 1200 cals apparently isnt cutting it anymore. So i guess ill try 1700...that just seems like ALOT of food to eat!