General question - Weight loss surgeries

Options
hello

I thought I would ask for some opinions on what you thought about weight loss surgeries. Do you know anyone that has done it? Did they gain the weight back? Did it help?

I am 28 and can't seem to loose weight. I yo yo back and forth all the time, my body weight just doesn't want to go down. I have lost hope

Replies

• hislittlelights
    hislittlelights Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I personally have known four people who have had them done. One is my Mother-in-Law, and another one is my best friend. The other two I know through our church.

My BF has gained all but about 50 lbs of what she had lost originally after her surgery. And my MiL, while being lighter than she was, still struggles with weight gain.

They both post-surgery have foods -- very healthy ones -- that they cannot eat. My BF cannot eat raw or undercooked vegetables because they do not digest & make her sick. My MiL has the same trouble with most meats, unless it's coated in grease or mayo. Sugar makes my BF sick, but not my MiL who still has a sweet tooth.

Really what happens in a weight-loss surgery is that you are short-circuiting the body's ability to digest it's food the way it was designed. The result is trouble digesting many healthy foods, and now having to heavily supplement vitamins that the body can no longer properly absorb -- both my BF & MiL are deficient in some of their vitamins, which affects their overall health (I think iron was one, and B vitamins was another -- but I don't remember exactly). Also, if you are ever thinking about having children, doctors become concerned about the mother's body's ability to properly absorb enough vitamins for the growth of the baby. I know it was a concern with my BF in her first pregnancy.

As far as the other women I know at church, I know one mentioned that she HAD to eat at very frequent intervals because she went from being a little hungry to needing to eat, like NOW very quickly. The other said she still has to maintain a healthy diet (just like the rest of us trying to lose weight, anyway).

Bottom line: I've seen a lot with these surgeries, and I when I see people mention them, I try to discourage them from having the surgery. It is a permanent change that may not have permanent results, yet creates MANY unpleasant (and I would add, unhealthy) side-effects.

I personally have found success with logging everything on MFP and exercising for 1 hour a day, six days a week. It is just a matter of discipline (I am hypothyroid as well, so weight loss is difficult, anyway).

I hope this helps.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you can't lose the weight and maintain the weight loss, how can you expect to keep weight off after surgery? Weight gained was caused by your habits. Those habits don't magically disappear with surgery. It would end up being a waste of money unless you can fix the problems that are causing your weight gain.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Do you log your food?
  • rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had the Gastric Sleeve at the age of 50. There are definitely pro's and con's and if I could have lost the weight WITHOUT the surgery I would have.

I wish I had found MFP BEFORE I had the surgery. I use it faithfully now. Bottom line, is I still have to exercise, watch what I eat, limit my caloric intake POST surgery. I HAVE to supplement with vitamins and minerals or I will lose my hair etc......

You are young, I would put my best efforts forth, work with a nutritionist and personal trainer first; then explore surgical means.

Surgery is NOT a quick FIX.

Please inbox or friend me if you want more information. I am very open an honest about my journey, and it is a journey for sure.

Best of luck to you.
    A
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm 24, and I had gastric bypass a year ago. It was a decision that changed my life, but I couldn't have made a better choice. I've had great success with my surgery. I was young and knew I needed to do something before it permanently effected my life. I felt like I had tried every diet out there. Yes, most eating habits are in your head, but the surgery completely changed my way of thinking. I was a very bad emotional eater, but after surgery I knew that was no longer an option. I had to find better resources as an outlet. It's something you have to be truly committed to or it won't work for you.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    On this site, most people are against weight loss surgery in general. All you are going to hear is how 'I know someone and they gained it all back'.

I'd suggest you find a TRUE online forum with people who have been there, so you can hear for yourself the successes (and some failures too).

Alternatively, there are a few groups on here that might be helpful, search for them.

Surgery is not a magic cure, you still have to work your butt off. You still have to watch what you eat meticulously, and if you don't exercise and revert to your old habits, the weight will come back. BUT, it is a tool you can use to establish new, healthy eating patterns,, and get your weight under control while you do. :)
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey Emma, I wanted to give you a first hand experience about weight loss surgery. There are several kinds of surgeries, lap band(being the least effective), bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I can only speak about my experience. I had the sleeve almost 8 months ago. I am 5'5" and weighed 235 at the time of surgery. I currently weigh 153. So I have lost about 82 pounds in 8 months. Sleeve doesn't have some of the draw backs as bypass, like dumping syndrome and vitamin deficiencies. They don't cut your intestines and reroute them like bypass, they remove part of your stomach and the rest of your "inner workings" are the same. In sleeve they remove the lower stretchy portion of your stomach and that is the part that houses your hunger sensors as well so rarely did I feel hungry the first few months, and occasionally I feel hungry at night but not often. Everyone has unique experiences, mine has been really positive. I do what I am supposed to, I try to avoid things I know I shouldn't have and I haven't had a soda in over 9 months, or anything carbonated for that matter. The gas build up stretches out your stomach and you don't want that. I can eat any type of food I want and haven't had problems digesting fruits or veggies with the exception of raw broccoli and raw cucumbers since they both make me gassy, but they did before surgery as well.

I regret not doing the surgery earlier. I struggled through most of my 20's and 30's being overweight and yo yo dieting. I would suggest you talk to your doctor and get professional advice. Don't let anyone's secondhand experiences cloud your judgement, and don't think that just because someone had a great experience with surgery that your experience would be identical to theirs. Everyone's body is different. I make smart choices, I stay away from things I know I shouldn't have and I even went back to Weight Watchers to be proactive and make sure I stay on the right path.