Do you log condiments?

Options
124»

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i have a 200 cal "condiment buffer" so i dont have to bother. i only really use butter on sandwiches. bbq sauce and whatnot used for cooking is used sparingly
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To be honest when I first started MFP I did not log ketchup, mustard or hot sauce. I always use a little anyway but as I started to read labels and understand the significance of salt, sugar, cals, macros, etc. I do log them. I am not a fan of mayo and very rarely eat relish but most condiments tend to have high fat, sodium and sugar. Even the ones that say low sugar have a higher salt content and vice versa for flavor to not be lost. I watch my sodium intake so I have to do it all except spices. I tend to take the ones with no salt added although they may have additives that add calories. Fresh herbs no logging oh well I will live, good luck on whatever you choose to do!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of condiments, but I log in exactly what I do use.

I only log in dry condiments (spices) if I'm using a lot of them - which is rare. I never ever add salt to anything, but I love my Montreal Steak Season on grilled shrimp :)

I've been eyeballing that Montreal Steak Seasoning at the supermarket. It's good, huh? I think I will get some.

Best. Seasoning. Ever.... Especially for things like beef and pork. If I'm using it as a seasoning, I don't really log it. If I make a marinade out of it, then yes due to the oil and other ingredients.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I didn't count condiments previously but I do now. I am having more success than I did before. It is amazing how things like mayo and salad dressing add up. I always said "I didn't get fat from eating too much salad' and that is true but I even count that now. Knowing how many calories are in the salad dressing helps me make a better choice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log everything except spices too (because frankly I have no idea how many calories they have). I can easily have 30 calories of condiments on a burger just from mustard and ketchup.
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I count everything. Not so being precise on weather I at 1,536 calories for the day or 1,612. Either way I will loose weight right? right! But counting makes you conscious of what you are eating. I basically stopped using mayonnaise and use way less spices then before. The act of logging makes me not want to eat as much and also makes me want to make more simple foods with less seasoned salt, less ketchup, etc.

It is twice as easy to log carrots than it is to log carrots and ranch dressing. So often times I just eat the plain carrots.

In the beginning I did not log things like pickles. I had bought some that were so low cal I figured what's the big deal and I don't eat that many anyway? But Then I realized that in two days I ate the whole jar. That's a big old bucket of sodium! So now I log anything with a calorie or any amount of sodium.

Yes I can still season with basil or thyme or whatever with out logging it, but I doubt I will binge on basil.
  • Crafty_Fraggle
    Crafty_Fraggle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know myself. I have to log everything except when it is no more than 3 dry spices added after cooking or I will sneak in things and not know why I'm not loosing. It's truly just for me to know how I'm doing because I am notorious for over using condiments.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think ketchup is pretty high calorie. or maybe I just use too much of it....
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If it sprinkles, I don't log it. Salt, vinegar, cinnamon, Italian seasoning, tabasco.

If it squeezes, dollops or pours, I log it. Mayo, ketchup, brown sauce, creme fraiche.

Them's my rules. :smile: