Injury Copping

Options
In April I took to weight loss and exercise in earnest and lost 40 lbs since then. Then 2 weeks ago I got a groin strain, can't run, can't bike, can't lift, and swimming hurts a little. Doc says that I just have to wait it out, but it's just so hard to keep focused and I'm afraid I'm messing up. I've enjoyed my training so much this year and now it seems like it was all for naught.

This morning I almost hit McDonalds on the way to work and ate half a pizza for dinner. I know it's no big deal and tomorrow is another day, but I'm just feeling down.

So how did you deal with injury so that you didn't fall off the wagon? Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the injury.

When I've been injured, I do what I can. Can you walk? If so, make that your main cardio. Can you do static exercises, such as yoga poses or the plank? If so, do those.

Obviously, cut back on calories to compensate for not burning so much in exercise. But you're very close to your goal, so you might want to run a very small deficit, or even try to maintain for the duration of your recovery, so as not to lose muscle mass.

Above all - and I find this hard myself - resist the temptation to start again too soon. If you do, you might exacerbate the injury. A few weeks off, or even a few months, is better than a few years, or needing surgery to correct a problem.

I hope you have a good recovery - as fast as possible.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Wondering why you couldn't do upper body exercises.. I did upper body only for weeks and months after I blow my achilles tendon at the end of February. I had a tendon replacement and soon after with being non weight bearing hit the gym and did all upper body strength training. It kept me motivated and on track. Just a suggestion!