house cleaning

I am wondering how others are logging house cleaning on the exercise log?

I used a leisure paced walk and chose how much time i worked.

Replies

• kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    There is a "cleaning" in your exercises, you can choose light effort, or vigorous. I only do the vigorous if I do the floors, or really scrubbing, or moving things around.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    There is an option for cleaning under the cardio exercise tab. I don't log mine unless I'm working hard and wearing my HRM so I know how much I actually burn...but lots of people do log it, and I'm assuming that's how they do it.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    I think if you add an excercise then there is a pull down that has various items to choose from and I saw house cleaning in there...but I think you'll have to figure out the calories, but I could be wrong!
  • I just type in cleaning under the cardiovascular section and you have a choice or list to choose from. :smile:
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    It's in the database under cleaning :happy:
  • bbonney
    bbonney Posts: 18 Member
    I clean my office on Fridays and it takes about an hour...I do log that, but I don't log house work unless i'm at it for more than an hour.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    It's ok to add it as long as your settings are set to sedentary. If you classified yourself as lightly active b/c of your type of job (not a "desk job") or frequent moving like stay at home parents I wouldn’t log it b/c its already counted in your lightly active' day plan.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Well. Except if cleaning like a cleaner would clean (ie, for hours, vigorously), I don't count it as I believe that MFP would consider that even sedentary people do clean their houses occasionally. Or wash themselves. Or go grocery shopping. Except if it is a significant change in your physical activity -- we have members here who have NOT been able to do these things for a long while because of their weight and bulk! -- I wouldn't log it.
  • SLV9
    SLV9 Posts: 15 Member
    Last weekend I did a major house cleaning for 90 minutes and I was SWEATING! Hell yeah I made damn sure I recorded every minute of it into my excerise. However, I still did use the elliptical for 30 minutes. I used it with my regular workout not instead of my regular work out. Got a couple extra calories out of it :-)
  • heatherpease
    heatherpease Posts: 3 Member
    i think house cleaning is a part of daily living, however some days I do more than others. i also have a split level house and do stairs alot! thanks for the posts! i was searching under house cleaning at first.
  • i agree with most, lightly cleaning, regualr loading of dishwasher, quick wipe of counters are everyday things. but outside of normal, like Vacuuming entire house or scrubbing bathtub for 30 mins. or more i log! for cooking too.

for example if i'm just making pasta and putting in a jar of sauce = no log
    but if i'm hacking away at a large butternut squash and other dinner prep for an hour and its making me sweat, i LOG it! :)
    but thats just me.
  • CathyYes
    CathyYes Posts: 9 Member
    I worked for 2 hours today deep cleaning, I swept out the corners and around the baseboards of my living room, vacuumed them, took everything off all the tables and wiped them down with a damp cloth. Moved two recliners, a couch and 3 tables and vacuumed. Laundry, wiped down stools, an office desk area... I was dripping with sweat and my t-shirt was soaked. I am so sore right now and I'd like to count today as exercise as it was not a normal cleaning day.
  • munirmughal80180
    munirmughal80180 Posts: 2 Member
    There is a "cleaning" in your activities, you can pick light exertion, or energetic. I possibly do the vivacious in the event that I do the floors, or truly cleaning, or moving things around.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Even set at sedentary, I figure routine cleaning is part of my base activity level. If I did a giant, unusual Spring cleaning, or did a big clean as part of moving house (mine or a relative's), or cleaned the whole garage and rearranged the storage, I'd probably log some of that.

I think logging routine daily life chores, things one customarily does week in and week out, can be a path to a future forum post entitled "Trying so hard: Why am I not losing weight??!?".

Even the sedentary setting assumes some routine life chores, and some steps (probably something in the 3000-5000 step/day area, or equivalent activity . . . it's pretty low, but it's non-zero). If daily life exceeds the sedentary calorie level, that'll become obvious after 4-6 weeks of logging experience, and one can adjust the activity level (or just the calorie goal and intake) accordingly.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Well, I cleaned my house like a fiend the whole time I was overweight.

If anyone would be thin from housecleaning, it would have been me.

As a result, I do not count housecleaning as exercise. Seems to me to be a bit of a cheat and reaching for gratuitous calories.

I figure it’s automatically included under my “active” activity level.

Sorry, I know that’s harsh, but I’m here to lose weight, not psych myself out into believeing I'm suddenly more active than I was yesterday because I counted housecleaning as “exercise” on some dumb app. You’re just fooling yourself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I am wondering how others are logging house cleaning on the exercise log?

Hang on - I'll go ask my wife..... :smiley:
    (Ducks and runs for cover......)

More seriously don't log routine activity as that's what your activity setting is supposed to be for (work and regular activity).
    If it's something exceptional and unusual and you consider it a significant extra calorie expenditure then maybe consider logging it.

Personal example would be cutting my own grass and doing my gardening - normal and accounted for in my activity setting.
    Spending 7hrs clearing a garden that resembles a jungle - exceptional and I'd probably make a rough estimate for that on the basis that's a hard physical effort which it became normal for me would cause me to uplift my activity setting.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Well, first, I clicked on a 2011 post and I already knew what everyone was going to answer. Then I was surprised the first few people gave serious how-to-find-it-in-the-exercise-list answers.

That's when I realized it was a 2011 post.

@sijomial, your duck and cover comment made it all worth it. :lol:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    @cmriverside

Glad to be of service.
    Hope the zombies from 2011 enjoyed the comment too.
  • munirmughal80180
    munirmughal80180 Posts: 2 Member
    I think house keeping is a piece of every day living, anyway a few days I accomplish more than others. I additionally have a part level house and do steps alot! much obliged for the posts! I was looking under house keeping from the start...... rankingmom