Timid Bulk

Options
I thought I'd make that the heading rather than the more controversial 'body recomp' phrase which seems to get all manner of people into a right old tiz over whether it's actually feasible or not.

Anyway....a little background before my question...

I have switched over my training routine to a very varied one since March. Pre March I was running and walking...and more running ...walking etc. You get the idea. I was the cardio goddess with a figure like an empty sausage casing.
March - I joined a leisure centre, started partaking in all the classes on offer....body pump (it's cardio, I know), spinning, core strength, HIIT and plyometrics. My body has changed significantly for the better. I allowed my weight to increase by a couple of pounds and I even threw out some jeans that no longer fit me as I actually got a bigger (more pert :blushing: ) behind.
Now from this cross training regime my weight seems to have now stabalised as my body has become used to it. DOMS are now sadly becoming a thing of the past or only minor in their appearance. My fitness ability is greatly improved and my running times are now better than I could imagine. I'm very happy but I need a new challenge...

I will be starting a supervised heavy lifting programme at the same gym at the start of October. I've read about bulking and cutting. However, I want to be totally cautious with this. I'm in no rush, this is a long term project.

So, my questions for the board, or those of you in the know...

Can you do just increase calories on the days you're lifting? e.g. Extra 250 calories 3 x week on lifting days, maintenance the others for a very slow bulk?

Is there success with body recomp (like I said, I have time) and is this through just doing maintenance whilst lifting?

Can you bulk e.g. 1/2 lb per week but do this for a short period, say 6 weeks and then cut/maintain?

Basically what are slow ways to bulk gradually. The 'timid bulk'?

Also - I should add, I'm on maintenance calories and have been for years. I'm also aware of macros/protein needs with lifting. So it's basically just the surplus/bulk.cut/recomp stuff I'm curious about.

cheers people! :smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can just increase your cals on lifting days, for a tiny surplus over the week.

Recomp is eating at maintenance, which has been successful for a lot of people - theres a guy on here who's a good example - sijomial!

a 6 week bulk with only 250 cals extra 3 x a week wouldnt really be worth it... thats only 4500 cals extra over 6 weeks, so just over 1lb gain. 250 cals extra every day would be better, if you go the bulk route.

Are you friends with HeidiMightyRawr? she's on my friends list, she has recently done a bulk & cut.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible to bulk by increasing food on lifting days (look up Lean Gains). The method is usually done by increasing carbs on lifting days, lowering them on non-lifting days. This method would be best used for a long slow bulk - you probably wouldn't see much benefit over just 6 weeks.

As a newby to lifting you could maximise on newby gains by increasing calories by 250 cal every day but obviously you have to be prepared for the weight gain which can be mentally challenging. You may wish to set either a weight gain goal (e.g. 10 lbs) or a time goal (e.g. 3 months).

Alternatively, you could aim for a recomp, eating at maintenance while lifting. Many people report success but the results are slower.

It may also be worth posting this in the Eat, Train, Progress group where lots of experienced bulkers are happy to advise :smile:
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So, my questions for the board, or those of you in the know...

Can you do just increase calories on the days you're lifting? e.g. Extra 250 calories 3 x week on lifting days, maintenance the others for a very slow bulk?

I'm currently on a "timid bulk" and here are my thoughts:

I eat the same meal schedule every day but there is one slight variation on weight training days. I add 1 cup of white rice with honey to my post workout meal (currently 8 oz salmon, 1/2 cup of white rice, 2 cups of veggies). Outside of that my meals (calorie targets are the same). I train 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off with a cheat meal on Saturday night (2nd off day).

I also do 5 cardio sessions during the week to keep fat levels in check.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Only down side of this- is that the extra calories are needed even on your days off- b/c that's when your body is repairing.

if you're going to eat a surplus- eat a consistent surplus.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing a timid bulk starting Nov. 1st as well. Unfortunately, my current method of eating is a deficit M-Th with Friday and Saturday (and sometimes Sunday) off. Those Friday/Sat meals easily clock in at 2500-3000 calories. I'm sure I need a consistent surplus to gain in a good way, but I'll have to totally revamp my lifestyle and I'm not sure how successful I'll be. :drinker:

Good luck, OP. Since I can only realistically gain 0.5-1 lb of muscle/month, I'm only aiming for a 10 lb gain over the course of five months, knowing those first 4 lbs will be all water since I'm currently cutting before my bulk. This is only a 230 cal/day increase. I'll probably keep it closer to 200 calories/day.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and follow-up information. I am in the same situation, minus the "pert behind":wink: and was about to post basically the same questions. 6'1", 183 lbs and 6% body fat. Need to fill out the frame a bit.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Only down side of this- is that the extra calories are needed even on your days off- b/c that's when your body is repairing.

Was just coming in to say this ^

You'll probably do really well in a recomp as you're just starting out, all the nice newbie gains :) have fun.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and follow-up information. I am in the same situation, minus the "pert behind":wink: and was about to post basically the same questions. 6'1", 183 lbs and 6% body fat. Need to fill out the frame a bit.

IMO you could go straight for the bulk @ 6%
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I was going to say this too. I eat at tdee (same cals everyday) because I am so wicked hungry on rest days. I kind of still can't get over the appetite compared to when I just did cardio and light weights.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options

If he's 6'1" 183 @ 6% he's already pretty jacked.
  • NRBreit
    Options
    OP, if you're just starting a heavy lifting program, you are well-positioned to gain lean body mass via recomp or a small bulk. Take advantage of those first few months of gains. If you decide to bulk, I would recommend 250 cals/day or roughly 1/2 pound per week. Anything less and you will likely chase your tail because the gains are not linear and you'll spend weeks not gaining anything. It's very hard to track real gains when it's fractions of a pound over several weeks. Plus, after a small bulk it's pretty easy to do a cut, so don't worry about gaining a bit of fat. It'll come off quickly as long as you keep the gains reasonable. Just my .02.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses, some really helpful and interesting comments.

I'm going to start with recomp - enjoy those newbie gains and then take it from there... :smile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

He's definitely not 6%, must be an error in measurement. Like you said, 6'1" 183 @ 6% is competitive natural bodybuilder size. Maybe 16% I'm guessing.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

He's definitely not 6%, must be an error in measurement. Like you said, 6'1" 183 @ 6% is competitive natural bodybuilder size. Maybe 16% I'm guessing.

According to: http://www.livestrong.com/article/372555-healthy-weight-height-for-bodybuilding/ if I were a body builder my ideal weight would be somewhere around 200 to 210. So I am definately not even close to jacked. My nutritionist has her fancy weight/ body fat scale calibrated against our local college's calibrated scale. So 6% isn't too far off if you factor in any error. She also put me on a 2800 daily calorie diet to keep at my present weight for my work outs (1 hr cardio / 4 days a week and 1 hour circuit training/ 5 days a week). Looks like I will be starting on protien shakes to aid either maintaining my present weight or eventually adding about 10 to 15 lbs :wink:

Now, DopeItUp on the other hand it looks like you are definately in the beast mode. Maybe someday I'll get semi-close to that :noway:

stuffinmuffin... sorry for the hijack of your post
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump, I too have questions about bulking, not sure if I am doing it right and would like to hear other people's stories.
  • NRBreit
    Options

According to: http://www.livestrong.com/article/372555-healthy-weight-height-for-bodybuilding/ if I were a body builder my ideal weight would be somewhere around 200 to 210. So I am definately not even close to jacked. My nutritionist has her fancy weight/ body fat scale calibrated against our local college's calibrated scale. So 6% isn't too far off if you factor in any error. She also put me on a 2800 daily calorie diet to keep at my present weight for my work outs (1 hr cardio / 4 days a week and 1 hour circuit training/ 5 days a week). Looks like I will be starting on protien shakes to aid either maintaining my present weight or eventually adding about 10 to 15 lbs :wink:

Now, DopeItUp on the other hand it looks like you are definately in the beast mode. Maybe someday I'll get semi-close to that :noway:

stuffinmuffin... sorry for the hijack of your post

The stats you provided are about the same as Cristiano Ronaldo's. Very nice work if you've been able to achieve that.

[url] http://nattyornot.com/can-look-like-cristiano-ronaldo-without-steroids/ [/url]

cristiano-ronaldo-body-2011-2012.jpg