How bad are 1000 cal deficits, really?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I've been running 1000 cal deficit (or somewhat more), for 5 months. I seem to be fine. The registered dietician I saw last month reviewed and approved what I was doing.

The caveat being, I started at 375 lbs and am still above 300 (though my next weigh in I hope to be under.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Given your stats?? Sounds like a bad idea, to me. A train wreck. And, I'd eat more fat.
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad at all. I wish I could do that.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with a few calculators, including MFP for goals, and either way I change things up I always seem to be told to eat around the same amount of calories.

The fact that the excercise levels are so general doesn't help. There's a 400 calories difference between light and moderate activity level.

If I bring my goal down to 1lb a week, and change my fitness level to low (assuming I don't burn 2600 calories), I still end up howevering around 1750 calories a day which isn't too much more than the 1600 I'm eating now.

How would you classify 5 days a week in the gym lifting weights for an hour each day? Light activity, moderate? I do computer work when I am not at the gym or walking around so I'm having a hard time telling these calculators what to do.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Unless I missed something, I think you state that you are male 5ft 8 in and 150 lbs. Why in the heck would you want to lose weight? If you want to gain muscle or increase fitness level overall this seems reasonable but you weight is considering in the low/middle range for women of your height.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with a few calculators, including MFP for goals, and either way I change things up I always seem to be told to eat around the same amount of calories.

The fact that the excercise levels are so general doesn't help. There's a 400 calories difference between light and moderate activity level.

If I bring my goal down to 1lb a week, and change my fitness level to low (assuming I don't burn 2600 calories), I still end up howevering around 1750 calories a day which isn't too much more than the 1600 I'm eating now.

How would you classify 5 days a week in the gym lifting weights for an hour each day? Light activity, moderate? I do computer work when I am not at the gym or walking around so I'm having a hard time telling these calculators what to do.

weight training is more on intensity level. There is no set level. Weight training does not really burn that many calories,
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Unless I missed something, I think you state that you are male 5ft 8 in and 150 lbs. Why in the heck would you want to lose weight? If you want to gain muscle or increase fitness level overall this seems reasonable but you weight is considering in the low/middle range for women of your height.

OP is 5'8" 150 pounds. Op do you have any muscle on you?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Probably because he's 16 and emo, rather than 26.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Now I wonder if it is a troll?
  • ekiana123
    Options
    If you feel great and the weight is coming off slowly, just keep up the good work. If you stop losing at all, just up the exercise and cardio slightly till the weight starts coming off again.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Went from a conversation, to me suddenly being a 16 year old emo troll.

Looks like this thread is over. Nothing to see here folks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You're not? ok. I can't think of any reason a grown man would want to be 5'8" and 130LBS. But perhaps I'm missing something.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I've been on at least a 1000 calorie deficit since 4/22. And I don't eat back any exercise calories. It's been fine. I'm progressing on my lifts and have maxed out the leg press machine, such as it is.

I have about 47 pounds left to go. My daily calories have come down due to my weight loss and I'm within 200 or so calories of reaching the floor of how much I'm willing to cut. Since it appears that what it would take to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit is dropping faster my appetite, at some point -- probably in the next month or so -- my deficit will drop under 1000.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

You're not? ok. I can't think of any reason a grown man would want to be 5'8" and 130LBS. But perhaps I'm missing something.

We be trolling. I think someone got some issues. 5"8' 130 male. Nope I don't understand. Please tell us OP. Are you trying to make weight for something?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What I'd like to know is what's wrong with eating calorie dense foods?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I've been running a 1000 calorie deficit for a month and a half now and overall I feel great and have more energy than I ever have! I am only consuming 1600 calories a day, and generally take in 100g of protein, 54g fat, and around 130-150g of carbs.

I keep reading that people are referring to 1000 cal deficits as "starving yourself", but truthfully I just don't understand it. Are these people not eating enough protein?
    It depends a lot on how heavy you're starting out.
    With lots of weight to lose (like, say, over 60 lb), losing 2 lb per week is fine & healthy.
    But with less to lose people shouldn't be at such a deficit.
    Personally, I'm not looking forward to slowing down my rate of loss, but I understand why it has to happen... and I'm actually kinda happy to be getting down to the "not as much to lose" range.

My doctor started me off with a 1000 cal deficit, and told me not to eat exercise calories, so it was actually more than that.
    (10x weight) - 1000 is one way to calculate calorie goal
    Or you can do 10x (healthy goal weight).
    I started with the first and am now on the second, still losing.
    If you're actually eating 1600 cal, you'll get to 160 lb.
    How would you classify 5 days a week in the gym lifting weights for an hour each day?
    If that's all the exercise you do, I'd call it light. Moderate would be someone like a teacher or nurse who's on her feet moving most of the day. Strenuous would be someone who does heavy physical labor, or possibly weights & cardio for several hours a day.

Going by BMI, at 5'8" you should be 125 - 160.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
  • rachiealx
    Options
    It's his choice if he wants to weigh 130lbs, and as it's still in the healthy weight range for his height I suggest you stop criticising. Just a suggestion.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Jeez, no kidding. No one's asking you to go down to 130, folks. :indifferent:
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Going by BMI, at 5'8" you should be 125 - 160.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

BMI is such a bad measurement to talk about someone being healthy.
    Do you still follow the food pyramid?
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do it, but that's because I go over my calories by about 4,000 on Fridays and Saturdays. Does the job for me and helps me maintain.