Cardio? The key to a perfect body?

Options
My goal is to lose weight in a healthy way to gain a lean body. I am not looking to be built and muscular, just thin and healthy looking. I do a lot of cardio such as walking, jogging, and running with intervals. I have a 1400 calorie limit and I stay under that limit daily.

I wanted some tips on how to gain the lean and thin body that i've been trying to achieve. I am really not a big weight lifter and I exercise at home on a treadmill.

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    <<< lean body, no cardio EVER!!!(I hate cardio)

I lift heavy things and put them down. It's repetitive, but it gets the job done.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, being in a diet that's a great recipe for losing muscle mass, easily 20% since that's about standard amount anyway for those that don't watch out.

You can save yourself by at least doing 2 of the 3 things needed to retain muscles mass. Or else you'll lose fat and muscle and expose underlying ..... well, not much.

So resistance training is out it appears, though it doesn't have to be strength training, and frankly, as a woman, you'd have to do a lot perfect and eat in surplus to even gain enough muscle to be concerned with. Perhaps you are thinking of women on steroids.
    Are cross-fitters bulky by your standards? Here's last years winner.
    a05134f0a55baca1_10443033_823207434363719_7234926345573641697_o.xxxlarge.jpg

http://www.popsugar.com.au/fitness/2014-CrossFit-Games-Winner-Camille-Leblanc-Bazinet-Interview-35423230

Also a reasonable deficit for amount to lose and your exercise, which if it's cardio, shoot for 1/2 lb weekly, or 250 cal deficit.

And then enough protein, 0.82 grams per pound of body weight.

Do those last 2 and you can hold on to what you got - hopefully.

And at least approach the benefit of lifting by doing 1 set of intervals per week, though it'll be hard on a treadmill.
    10 min warm-up walk and jog slow.
    15 - 45 sec all out as fast and/or hard as you can go. So incline may go up with speed.
    3 x as long walking for recovery, so 45 - 135 seconds.
    Repeat 10 times.
    10 min cool-down walk and jog slow.

That's as close as you'll get cardio to the benefits of strength training without doing it.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercise makes you happy, OP. =) You can absolutely lift weights (even heavy ones!) without getting "built," "bulky," etc. The level of muscle definition you see depends more on your % bodyfat.

I'm not huge into weights, but I really enjoy bodyweight exercises & HIIT workouts. (I can do them on my own schedule and with 0 equipment!) Check out fitnessblender.com for a bunch of free videos!
  • Pinguzaf
    Pinguzaf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY want Camille's body!! Sigh...:sad:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. You'll get toned up, but won't be muscular. :)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a perfect body. and its subjective anyway.

you wont bulk up doing cardio or strength training unless you do it in abundance... extremes...

the first key to a perfect body is realizing that a perfect body isnt a reasonable goal.

then do what makes you happy. i do both strength and cardio but i enjoy cardio more, so thats what i do most. my body will pretty much be what it wants to be once i meet my weight loss goal. i figure as long as i keep moving i will end up my best me. the best me i can be is way better than perfection.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No thigh gap.

Fail.
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Me too! But you saw it first????
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

yep she looks great
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I think she looks bulky. It's all about personal taste at the end of the day.

OP I lift. Heavy. And I do cardio, but I'm flabbier and bigger when I'm doing just cardio. My goal was to be lean but not too cut or masculine. I achieve this by watching my food, keeping a BMI on 19, and not doing too much chest arms, traps, hams and quads. I concentrate on glutes, back, shoulders. I do a lot of squatting, dead lifting, glute bridges and hip thrusts as heavy as possible.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    <<< lean body, no cardio EVER!!!(I hate cardio)

I lift heavy things and put them down. It's repetitive, but it gets the job done.

Your physique is great, idk what exactly you do, but um who is camille? LOL
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help..You can eat clean but eat enough too of anything that came from the earth- nothing packaged. That will hopefully include natural proteins to sustain your muscles and ditch the fat-no cheese unless you already hate cheese then i WISH i was you. some healthy fat is necessary like olive oil, fish oil etc etc. Its my best shot at what your asking for. Do give yourself a a small break and every once in a while give in to a craving to keep your motivation up. Food is the life source of your body's energy and well if you have no energy you can do cardio :)
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options

No thigh gap.

Fail.

and her arms are bigger than mine... kind of a turn of for me.
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

OP I lift. Heavy. And I do cardio, but I'm flabbier and bigger when I'm doing just cardio. My goal was to be lean but not too cut or masculine. I achieve this by watching my food, keeping a BMI on 19, and not doing too much chest arms, traps, hams and quads. I concentrate on glutes, back, shoulders. I do a lot of squatting, dead lifting, glute bridges and hip thrusts as heavy as possible.

I think so as well but as an athlete i seriously doubt she doing stuff in order to get a certain physique. for me personally, many of the crossfit ladies i watched compete don't have a look i'd like for myself. but they got there with A LOT of hard work and eating like champs, so it's not something that happens by mistake

BUT OP, here's an article for you to read: http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

basically the recommendation is to work out with weights on a strength training plan. if/when you get to the point where you don't like what your body looks like then change the plan a bit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I believe you mean muscular. A "bulky" person usually doesn't display much muscle definition. Think offensive lineman here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I believe you mean muscular. A "bulky" person usually doesn't display much muscle definition. Think offensive lineman here.

IDEA Fitness member

True, i guess she could be an offensive line women?? haha.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Lean = Muscle

But you don't want that, so I can't offer advice.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I disagree, I think she is muscular AND has quite a bit of fat. It's not a 'cut' look. But she is beautiful too. Beautiful and bulky!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Camille looks like she could throw me around the room.....and I kinda like that. :drinker: