Yoga -- how long before you got more flexible?

Options
I don't mean to sound impatient, I know I've only been to two classes in the last week and it could take months to get where I want to be. Just curious to see where others saw progress. Right now my legs are weak and need strengthening, and my hamstrings are quite tense. If I keep going a few times a week and work hard, how long should it be before my body starts to loosen up?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how long is a piece of string?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Soft tissue work (yoga, tai chi, qi gong, etc) takes time.

Months at least.

However the benefits are arguably greater than other, faster acting, activities.

These disciplines are all derived from traditions of long study and patience!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What Jimmer said! I have been doing yoga, on and off, for years. That, along with some Physio exercises i got from my physio trainer has meant I have more flexibility in my - admittedly dodgy - back, but that took at least a year! Don't get me wrong i felt some benefit within a month or two. But you know what I did notice from the start? Yoga gave me "me time" that I hadnt realised was lacking, so for that alone its worth doing it - at least at the start.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Gothompson also makes a great point. These disciplines teach you how to switch off, which is becoming increasingly difficult with all the devices we're becoming slaved to throughout the day.

Commit to some off time, be patient and enjoy the journey!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga for balance while I was waiting for a cataract operation. I like Vinyassa Yoga, which is more cardio that Hatha Yoga. Now that I've had my eye fixed I don't have balance problems, but I like Yoga for the peaceful quality even with the cardio version.

I signed up for a three hour master yoga class in November with a yoga teacher who is 96 years old. She is amazing. I watched a video of her and she can do stuff I only watch people do.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga for balance while I was waiting for a cataract operation. I like Vinyassa Yoga, which is more cardio that Hatha Yoga. Now that I've had my eye fixed I don't have balance problems, but I like Yoga for the peaceful quality even with the cardio version.

I signed up for a three hour master yoga class in November with a yoga teacher who is 96 years old. She is amazing. I watched a video of her and she can do stuff I only watch people do.

Wow, that's amazing! I like vinyasa as well, that's the kind of yoga my studio focuses on, and it's what I've always been drawn to. I know in the past yoga has helped with my back problems from scoliosis, I hope it's able to do that again this time around.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't practise yoga but I've been doing pilates for about 3mths. I still can't keep my legs completely straight, or do some of the movements 100% correctly. There are ladies in my class who are 60+yrs who can kick my behind on flexibility. Including a woman with a partially fused spine.

But, my planks are pretty good now, I can do a lot more of the movements, & my body strength has definitely improved. I also have far better posture & less shoulder pain from slouching in front of the pc at work. Some of us are just naturally less bendy than others I guess (including me), but progression will come in time.

**I found using a resistance band at home helped me with stretching my legs on days my hamstrings are tight.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga once a week in January and I've already noticed increased flexibility in my hamstrings. I still have a ways to go to improve my overall flexibility. I have recently started taking two yoga classes a week and I am excited to see how things improve. Most importantly I find the practice of yoga relaxing.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    if i do yoga 3 or 4 times a week within a month or two i feel like i get pretty flexible...for me. i'm about as bendy as a tree trunk. :( but if i use a foam roller along with it and really work on my problem areas like my calves, hamstrings and hip flexors, it works A LOT faster. i also try to use what one instructor called the inner/outer spiral. when you start your pose for say warrior, plant your feet and engage all the muscles your about to use. then relax, rotate your legs outward (without moving your feet) while breathing out then in, and then inward same way, then move into your pose with an outward breath. you're only supposed to do this deep stretching 2 times a week though. it's amazing. but you have to be very very aware of your limits and really listen to any pain signals because it is a very deep stretch.

i have scoliosis too, although the curve isn't very bad at all. but strength and flexibility really keep it in check and it's never given me any problems and yoga is fantastic for both. and it's so fun to see what your body is really capable of when you try a new and challenging pose or balance. :) keep with it and be patient.