Healthy Cake Options, if that's a thing...

Options

Replies

• babsfit14
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues. Sugar is really not an issue and the MFP ones are too low anyway so I wouldn't worry about that.. Rather than have some dodgy low calorie cake personally I'd rather have a smaller piece of a good cake. You will have many birthdays and celebrations throughout your life so you need to learn to enjoy them and moderate any excess. One day going over calories would not destroy anything. it's my birthday next week and i'm going to have some cake and a nice meal and maybe even a beer. I will also go for a run because hey I run most days. I may or may not be over my calorie goals but over the past 18 months I've learned that consistency is the key. I need to love with food for the rest of my life and I also need to be a person people aren't going to dread being around because I wont eat this or that. I would suggest excepting your friends cake. Eat it over a few days enjoy your birthday live after your birthday continue with your calorie goals a slice of cake wont kill you.

Have a good Birthday

Very well said. One piece of cake will not kill you or blow your whole program. If anything, it will take care of any cravings you might be having for something sweet and you won't feel resentful for being deprived of something like that for a special occasion.
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reality check everyone! It is just one day and it's not going to completely ruin my diet. lol. I think I'm going to look into that angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries though I haven't had that in forever!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Angel food or Pound cake w/ fruit (we usually do sliced strawberries add fat free whipped topping (8cals for 1 tbsp.)!
    My sister in law got 1 of these...I don't have the picture of it but heres some pretty creative ideas!
    Hers was in 3 square tiers w/ chunks of strawberries, kiwi and pineapples all around the base w/ an assortment of red/green grapes, blueberries and raspberries at the top (speared w/ sticks, like a cabob)
    Example:
    http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U146DF&PC=U146&q=cakes+made+from+fruit&src=IE-SearchBox
    http://www.food.com/recipe/fruit-cake-fresh-fruit-in-the-shape-of-a-cake-481466
  • Mrs_Sarah_Minor
    Mrs_Sarah_Minor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My birthday and MFP have never met! :laugh:

Some days are just for enjoying.

^^^ This :p
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My birthday and MFP have never met! :laugh:

Some days are just for enjoying.

^^^ This :p

^^ This
    What is the point of trying to lose weight to make ourselves happy. If we miss the things that make us happy along the way
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    one of my friends made me a red velvet cake two years back which was too good. let them make the cake and enjoy it.
    i eat cake on my birthday and everyone elses. i just dont eat too much of it now. have a great birthday when it comes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake is probably your best bet for a low calorie cake.

On my own birthday I'm going to ask my mother to make my favourite hazelnut mousse cake (a 400 calories per slice cake) and my friends to make some of my favorite salads (some of which are quite mayo heavy). I wouldn't have successfully lost this much weight had I not allowed myself to eat whatever the hell I wanted every once in a while.

It's my party and I'll eat if I want to!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    angel food cake with fat free cool whip and sliced up strawberries/berries.

also spice cake mix plus a can of pumpkin (dont add egg or anything else) makes really moist cupcake/muffins. they were 200 cals each last time I made em'.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For my birthday, i had a massive cake, and enjoyed it. I understand why you would want a healthier option though. Someone once suggested an actual watermelon cake lol. Watermelon inside and icing on the outside.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For my birthday, i had a massive cake, and enjoyed it. I understand why you would want a healthier option though. Someone once suggested an actual watermelon cake lol. Watermelon inside and icing on the outside.

This?
    http://www.paleocupboard.com/watermelon-cake.html

Does look appetizing, and I will try it someday, but for my birthday I'm sticking with the hazelnut mousse cake!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's healthy, but it cuts down the calories a little….I just do diet coke coke cakes. Leave out the oil and eggs and water and just add a can of diet coke (or diet sprite for white/yellow cakes). But I do it for the convenience more than anything. I agree with the others… it's your birthday! It only comes around once a year… enjoy a piece of real cake!

Also… we share a birthday! Hope yours is a great one.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options

This?
    http://www.paleocupboard.com/watermelon-cake.html

Does look appetizing, and I will try it someday, but for my birthday I'm sticking with the hazelnut mousse cake!

That's the one! I'm with you though lol.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Caaaake!! Fabulous excuse - enjoy it!!

I cannot believe that there is a recipe for cake with Coke?!?!?! It sounds like sacrilege!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If it's your birthday, all cakes are 0 calories. If it's someone else's birthday, all cakes are 50% off.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Have her make cupcakes and only have one or two? Otherwise a slice of ANY cake won't kill you.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Better than sex weight watcher cake! Devils food cake mix, 1 can diet coke, I egg, mix together, cook 350, I can condensed non fat milk missed with sugar free caramel sauce on top of cake and frost over that with sugar free cool whip!.. delicious and low in calories!

Sugar free caramel??? Isn't that an oxymoron, since caramel is nothing but sugar that's melted and cooked until it's browned? lol
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    It's one day per year. Splurge and enjoy yourself! Eat some cake! :)