5 ft 4 girls...is this crazy?!

Options
So I've been thinking about where I'm headed in my weight loss - specifically how light I want to be. When I started at about 10 and a half stone, 9 stone seemed absurd, like a stick insect! Now I've broken down that barrier, and thought 120 pounds (8st 8lb) would be a tough target, definitely as light as I'd want to go. But my weight loss is going really well and really fast. I'm just a few pounds away from that target now, and feel like I could do with losing a little more after that. Out of curiosity, I've been looking up on a few online calculators what my healthy weight range is, and also what my "best/happy" weight is likely to be. As expected, healthy weight's between 7st 10lb ( 110lb) and 10 st 2 (about 142 lbs). I have a very small frame, on which one pound looks like three. So the higher end of that scale is completely wrong for me. Several calculators have put my ideal weight as between 108 -111 pounds. Does this sound right to you? Is it just that I've never been down this low that is making it sound unrealistic? I am small, and very active. I am very hopeful that I could get down to 8 stone if I tried, but below that sounds too thin for me. What are your thoughts? In your opinion, what would a good weight be for me?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That depends on if you're weight training or not. If you are, 125-130, if you're not 115-120.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would focus more on how you feel & look than a scale number, but you may also want to consider body composition.... having more muscle will make you heavier but smaller and more lean looking.
  • lauriekat1120
    lauriekat1120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy. I'm 5'3.5'', currently weigh 127, goal weight is 110 - at which point I want to gain at least 5 lbs of muscle and end up at a toned 115-120. If you have a small frame, going for a 110ish goal weight is neither underweight nor unrealistic.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    weight is just a number ... focus on measurements and maybe some body recomp. I'm 5'4" and my weight has been low as 102 and as high as 138 (I was fat) . I'm currently maintaining at 112 - 115 and focusing on strength training.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4" and half a small frame

I used to be 7 and half stone (early 20s) I don't want to be that weight again I was too small I am aiming for around 8 and half stone but if I get down to a size 8 (UK) and weigh more than 8 and half I'll be happy. :)
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    So I've been thinking about where I'm headed in my weight loss - specifically how light I want to be. When I started at about 10 and a half stone, 9 stone seemed absurd, like a stick insect! Now I've broken down that barrier, and thought 120 pounds (8st 8lb) would be a tough target, definitely as light as I'd want to go. But my weight loss is going really well and really fast. I'm just a few pounds away from that target now, and feel like I could do with losing a little more after that. Out of curiosity, I've been looking up on a few online calculators what my healthy weight range is, and also what my "best/happy" weight is likely to be. As expected, healthy weight's between 7st 10lb ( 110lb) and 10 st 2 (about 142 lbs). I have a very small frame, on which one pound looks like three. So the higher end of that scale is completely wrong for me. Several calculators have put my ideal weight as between 108 -111 pounds. Does this sound right to you? Is it just that I've never been down this low that is making it sound unrealistic? I am small, and very active. I am very hopeful that I could get down to 8 stone if I tried, but below that sounds too thin for me. What are your thoughts? In your opinion, what would a good weight be for me?

When I read that, it literally sounded like me. I started at 10 and half too, and 9 seemed absurd. I aimed for 9 and a half. Here I am, also just a few (4 to be precise) lbs of 120 lbs and 119 lbs was originally the lowest I'd want to go in my mind - I thought I'd look really skinny by this point. I don't… I thought I had a big frame but now I'm not so sure…I think the fat was hiding it! Haha. The only difference I can see between us is that I'm 5 foot 3, meaning my BMI healthy range is 7 st 7lb to 10 st or something…but that's basically no difference much. I was at the higher end of that and was chubby. Lower end is definitely for me.

I also think 8 stone sounds good…any lower and it sounds a bit low. Even though 7 stone 13 lb is only 1 lb off 8 stone… there's something about the "7 stone" part that sounds way too low…

I'm happy there's someone similar to me out there! I've made a couple posts about aiming low and people have seemed a bit iffy, warning me it sounds like I'd look ill… But Im only 8 stone 12 lb now and I still look like I'm carrying extra weight. So if you're like me and don't have much muscle (yet), and still have a bit of flab then I think around 8 stone or maybe just a little over… between 8 st and 8 st 4 lb I think sounds good.

That said, I'm not going to obsess over the number too much…and once I get to around that weight I want to focus more on how I look - building muscle and working towards a solid size 8 (UK) or 4 (US).
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This sounds alot like me. I am 5'3" and goal weight is 120-125 depending on how I feel once I get there
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, I'm 5'4", 118 pounds, and I don't look especially skinny because I am small-framed as well. It's certainly not unrealistic for those of us with small bone structure and without a great deal of muscle. I do strength train, but only moderately. My body fat % is generally in the neighbourhood of 19% according to our callipers, too, so that's not especially high or low either.

I have just started to lose another few pounds, actually, just to see how it looks and if my boobs shrink, haha (I'm still an F cup...so like I said, really not super skinny looking). I highly doubt I'm going to look too thin closer to 110, but if I do, then I guess I just put five pounds back on and chalk it up to experience.

If you don't know what to aim for, why not try it and see? Losing an extra 5-10 pounds isn't a huge commitment and you know putting the weight back on is always an option.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 132 lbs, and I prefer to go by dress sizes. Currently, I fit mostly into a size 4 (US). I say mostly, because it's a bit tight around the shoulders due to heavy lifting. I have been a size 8-10 at the same weight at one time. I feel so much better now. For me, the bathroom scale is overrated...lol
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    how long did it take you guys to get from 10 and a half to about 8 and a half?
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    i would focus more on how you feel & look than a scale number, but you may also want to consider body composition.... having more muscle will make you heavier but smaller and more lean looking.

I want this. I will get this....eventually lol.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weigh in @ 106 lbs (lower end of the "healthy" weight range, I also have a small frame) so I'd say your estimate isn't unreasonable.

Cheers,

Nat
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I also started off at 10st 10 - 150 lbs earlier this year and am now 123, and can fit into my size 8 bottoms, but I'm a 12 or 14 top because I'm a 32E or sometimes F.

Having said that I know I am still carrying fat around my middle, but am also lifting heavy so not sure what weight I'll end up at. Last time I was lifting heavy I was in my 30s and weighed under 114 lbs, so I suppose I will aim for that. If I wasn't lifting heavy I would probably be aiming for about 110.
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    oremus1 wrote: »
    how long did it take you guys to get from 10 and a half to about 8 and a half?
    Ah, it was on and off for about a year or so. I was at my heaviest December 2013, lost some then gained it again the next December, but looked completely different due to all my training. Then I had a really good go at Carol Vorderman's detox diet, got down to about 9 and a half, stopped a while and didn't diet, then lost the remainder in like a month. So, in fits and starts. In my opinion, it's all got to do with mind-set.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    That depends on if you're weight training or not. If you are, 125-130, if you're not 115-120.

This.

I'm 4 ft 4.5 and weigh 140 pounds and people think I'm too thin. I have a large frame and feel I am about where I need to be.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    . But my weight loss is going really well and really fast. I'm just a few pounds away from that target now, and feel like I could do with losing a little more after that

Good job so far on almost reaching your goals. : :D

Please pay attention regarding the bold part above. I don't know how you define "really fast," but your goal sounds aggressive. Since you have so few pounds left to lose, you need to slow it down to approximately .5 pounds a week. The less weight you have to lose, the slower it will come off anyway.

• Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 CURRENT WEIGHT 133. GOAL WEIGHT 115-110
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently 126 lbs and small/petite frame. I left heavy and do no cardio. I feel like this is the ideal weight for me because I look fit and curvy, however it's more fat than muscle right now. So I would like to replace the fat with muscle to keep this shape. I would like to go up to 130 but in muscle and drop some fat. If I went to 130 in just fat, I would have a round face and look a little "curvier" than I'd like. Because like you, 1 lb looks like 3 lbs on my small bones! Muscle takes a while to gain so, Long road ahead of me!