Muscle Recovery Pills

Options
My husband had ordered a few bottles of muscle recovery pills awhile back for himself, and neither of us have ever really used them. I've started going to the gym more often and have started doing some weight lifting.

My question is, are these pills just gimmicky like diet pills, or do they actually promote faster recovery and lean muscle gain like it claims? If they work, I'd like to use them since I already have them laying around, but if not (and more so if they're not good for you at all), I'd like to just get rid of them.

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something a shady dude would try to sell someone in the locker room in an after-school special.

"Hey, man, you seem really wiped out after rugby practice. Why don't you try these special 'msucle recovery pills' (which actually turn out to be steroids)".
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if by muscle recovery pills you mean muscle relaxors so I can sleep at night?? then yeah sure that might help- but all you need is food and rest for recovery.

anything else is wasted.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It looks like it's a combination of b vitamins and amino acids.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My husband had ordered a few bottles of muscle recovery pills awhile back for himself, and neither of us have ever really used them. I've started going to the gym more often and have started doing some weight lifting.

My question is, are these pills just gimmicky like diet pills, or do they actually promote faster recovery and lean muscle gain like it claims? If they work, I'd like to use them since I already have them laying around, but if not (and more so if they're not good for you at all), I'd like to just get rid of them.

Link to the pills? the only ingredients that would benefit in recover would be magnesium bisglycinate, glutamine and creatine.

I wouldn't waste your money on stuff like this, but if you already have it in the house and have spent the money ... then what's the harm. In general should think of a supplement as something you can't get from your food you need to "supplement" X into your diet because you are not getting it from food. Also this should come from your doctor ...after a series of blood tests ...
  • vegkitten
    Options
    The only ones I know off hand are XMR. He has a few others, but I don't recall what they are. I guess he just went hogwild and did a bunch of free trials.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If that's all that's in them and you have them, I'd say go for it. Don't be expecting much out of them though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Gimmick more than likely. Muscle recover the day after your workout, so if you decide to use them, then use them on your rest day. I could see if it had BCAA's and creatine in them, but other than that, FOOD should be your primary muscle recovery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    google potassium please. we need 3700 mgs a day or close to it. My muscle aches have diminished 90 pct due to takiing 3 potassium pills a day, only 99mgs per pill... DO NOT TAKE OR OVER DOSE ON THESE TO GET YOU DAILY NEEDS ON POTASSIUM, IT CAN AFFECT YOUR HEART. Eat potassium rich foods to help . Examples, leafy greens, bananas, sweet potatoes, squash. You can look it up for more. Try to get all your potassium needs from food as much as you can. Of course I am 68 so everything hurts sometimes,,,lol,,,I am just not a spring chicken as they say anymore...

ps research Magnesium also, very good for muscle recovery...
  • trm68
    Options
    you can go to a gym or fitness place near you too, they are happy to give you a list of stuff to take and eat.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    OP - if that's all that's in them, they probably won't harm you.
    Probably won't do much for you either, so don't waste any more money on them.
    you can go to a gym or fitness place near you too, they are happy to give you a list of stuff to take and eat.
    Reputable places won't.
    That's advice best given by someone with education in nutrition.
    I wouldn't believe what the drones at the gym front desk tell me, and even if a trainer told me something I'd research it first. (Also I'd want to know what certification & education the trainer has.)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    if by muscle recovery pills you mean muscle relaxors so I can sleep at night?? then yeah sure that might help- but all you need is food and rest for recovery.

anything else is wasted.

"Muscle relaxors so you can sleep at night?"

You mean booze, don't you? :bigsmile:
  • vegkitten
    Options
    I miss booze. 5 1/2 weeks sober.
  • froonlautie
    Options
    If it's not too much of an imposition, I'd like to congratulate you on your sobriety. :)

B vitamins are a great supplement to include in your diet (boosts immune function and supports your adrenals) but I don't think they do anything in the way of directly assisting in muscle repair.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You should post what's in them.

I bought something called Instaflex that says it helps repair knee injuries. I don't think it really does anything - probably I get more help from my knee brace.
  • trm68
    Options
    I guess getting a fit body from a jar is most likely not gonna happen. Fruits, veggies, and so on come from the earth, never saw a pill jar growing on a tree, but some of us need medicines for many reasons that are legitimate.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The only ones I know off hand are XMR. He has a few others, but I don't recall what they are. I guess he just went hogwild and did a bunch of free trials.

Maybe talk to you husband and make sure you didn't sign up to something with out being aware.
    Free Trial Scam

What really is the kicker here is the free trials of 1285 muscle and XM recovery. You see, these are really just free trials, not free samples like they would lead you to believe. I know this, because I actually ordered 1285 muscle. Click here to read my review. What they essentially do is charge you about 14 days after you place your order for the product, usually in the area of around $80 EACH! What’s worse is they actually put you into what’s called an auto rebill program, where they charge you every 30 days for the product and keep sending it until you cancel.

Sure, you can send the product back whenever you want to but there is a $15 restocking fee per unit returned, not to mention the cost of shipping. My question is, why do they even make you send it back if it was free in the first place?

Can read more about it here.
    http://www.supplementcritique.com/1285-muscle-and-xm-recovery-review/
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options

anything else is wasted.

This.

Your body doesn't need to be taking pills for everything. Your muscles naturally recover on their own, just give them time and rest and feed them properly :happy:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Wouldn't have wasted the money honestly.

You can do it on your own.
    Train
    Rest
    sleep
    Train again
    eat the proper foods

works wonders
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I miss booze. 5 1/2 weeks sober.

Congratulations, I miss booze also 21 years sober.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

anything else is wasted.

"Muscle relaxors so you can sleep at night?"

You mean booze, don't you? :bigsmile:

why can't it be both :love: