Are calories just calories?

Options
Like I stated in a previous post I am new to MFP, but I am not all that new to fitness and nutrition. Well, I am new enough to nutrition and clean eating that I needed to get a nutritionist to help me gain weight in a good way :wink:

Anyway I see quite a few post were a reply is "as long as you are under your calories it doesn't matter what you eat" or words very similar to that. I am sorry, but I will have to politely disagree with those statements. I think it is a disservice to people starting out to make a statement along those lines. Not all calories are the same. A thousand calories from say sugar are not the same a 1000 calories from a healhty source. Maybe I am all wet, but to me, it is vitally important as to what calories we put in our bodies compared to just the amount.

Now don't jump all over me about being holier than thou or 100% clean eater, I am far from it. I just see those types of statements and it concerns me than conflicting messages to folks just starting out.

Sorry for the rant.

Replies

• NSkip4
    Options
    Completely agree.

I used to eat anything as long as under my calories and my body was NEVER satisfied.

When I switched to a more clean / paleo / primal style of eating I felt AMAZING and continued losing weight.

Calories are not everything as marketing would suggest - i.e. an avocado would be a lot more calories than say a low fat breakfast bar - but the avocado would be so much more nutritious for your body, and aid in weight loss.

:)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Like I stated in a previous post I am new to MFP, but I am not all that new to fitness and nutrition. Well, I am new enough to nutrition and clean eating that I needed to get a nutritionist to help me gain weight in a good way :wink:

Anyway I see quite a few post were a reply is "as long as you are under your calories it doesn't matter what you eat" or words very similar to that. I am sorry, but I will have to politely disagree with those statements. I think it is a disservice to people starting out to make a statement along those lines. Not all calories are the same. A thousand calories from say sugar are not the same a 1000 calories from a healhty source. Maybe I am all wet, but to me, it is vitally important as to what calories we put in our bodies compared to just the amount.

Now don't jump all over me about being holier than thou or 100% clean eater, I am far from it. I just see those types of statements and it concerns me than conflicting messages to folks just starting out.

Sorry for the rant.

If weight loss is your goal, then yes...just worry about over all calories

If you are doing exercise along w/ weight loss.
    Then you will want to make sure you are getting your macros in as well.....
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss. You can eat 1,000 calories a day of candy and loss weight because you will be at a deficit.

That said, foods have different macros (carbs, protein, fat) and macros help with body composition and overall dietary health. So, if you eat 1,000 calories a day of sugar and you are not getting any protein or fat then, yes, that would be a problem.

ETA: I in now way support a 1,000 calorie/day diet. That is way to low unless you are a special case under a doctor's supervision.
  • sublime_kitty
    Options
    I do not believe a calorie is a calorie. For example, 140 calories of a Soda vs. 140 calories of almonds, the almonds provide you with fiber and healthy fat that do not trigger your liver produce insulin which generates fat. It has been my experience you'll also feel much better eating almonds instead of drinking soda or a sugary snack.

Here is a good article:
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Since tons calories (especially in sugar) are in everything I still think it's very important to count them to know where you stand on a daily basis.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No matter what you eat, if you are in a surplus you'll gain weight.
    http://skylertanner.com/2009/12/31/obese-metabolic-ward-studies/
    To quote the comment:
    "The metabolic ward studies are over two decades old, because it’s settled: restriction of caloric intake causes weight loss."
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I do not believe a calorie is a calorie. For example, 140 calories of a Soda vs. 140 calories of almonds, the almonds provide you with fiber and healthy fat that do not trigger your liver produce insulin which generates fat. It has been my experience you'll also feel much better eating almonds instead of drinking soda or a sugary snack.

Here is a good article:

Since tons calories (especially in sugar) are in everything I still think it's very important to count them to know where you stand on a daily basis.

well you are mixing up things....

Health issue is a different bird altogether....in that case you want to make sure to eat the proper foods....

But if weight loss/gain is your goal, then overall calories is just your concern.
    Now obviously, a smart person would want to look at where those calories are coming from, if health is also a concern.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/ksy1969/Pics for Forums/ed1e6498-53c1-4f22-85f6-b912c158d667_zpsc4d9c03f.png[/img]
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you're saying but also, much like the other posts, think it relates to what your goals are. Currently for me, I am more interested in weightloss and stick to the "within your calorie budget" philosophy. I am losing an average of 1 lb per week and have not had an issue with hunger or lack of fuel during my workouts (strength 5x pw). I am amazed at how far I've come with my fitness, weight is down, stamina is up and I can actually see the physical changes in my body composition. I have made changes in my diet insofar as no sugary drinks, little alcohol, "have it but less of it" etc. but have not gone to clean eating or Paleo for example.

My plan is to lose the remaing weight and then focus on more significant diet changes. I just know that smaller goals that show steady progress are more sustainable than my trying to completely overhaul everything at once.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measure. So all calories are the same in that way. Some foods are more nutrient dense, so 100 calories of granulated sugar and 100 calories of celery are different, but it is not related to how the energy in the foods is measured.

Nobody says "a mile isn't a mile," yet I could argue that it is easier to walk a mile downhill rather than uphill, or that a flat mile works my muscles a little differently than the uphill or downhill miles.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    from a weight loss / gain standpoint only 1000 calories is 1000 calories. many people come here specifically asking about weight loss.

from a health standpoint, we all need enough protein and lots of other nutrients and macros for good health, not to mention preserving muscle or muscle growth.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    A thousand calories from say sugar are not the same a 1000 calories from a healhty source.

As far as weight loss is concerned, they are the same. Even with insulin production and everything else.

As far as your body getting all it's required fats, proteins, and nutrients, your right. But those are two separate things.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Here is a good article:

well you are mixing up things....

Health issue is a different bird altogether....in that case you want to make sure to eat the proper foods....

But if weight loss/gain is your goal, then overall calories is just your concern.
    Now obviously, a smart person would want to look at where those calories are coming from, if health is also a concern.

^^This. Listen to the guy with the chiseled bod. ;-)

Seriously, for weight loss alone, calories are just calories. Sure, you'll get more bang for your buck with more nutrient dense foods, but as long as you're eating at a deficit, you'll see weight loss.

For health reasons, watching your fat, cholesterol, and sodium levels are important, but not vital to weight loss.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight (the number on the scale), yes, a calorie will be just a calorie and if you eat too many you will gain weight, and if you don't eat enough you should lose weight.
    That being said, the types of food you feed your body will influence other factors that may make meeting these goals either easier or more difficult. Food is essentially fuel for your body (nothing new there), so what you feed it will influence things like energy levels, satiety, and mood. It will also influence your risk of certain diseases (such as the link between consuming trans fats and heart disease, for example. or fiber consumption and lower cholesterol, since it binds to those molecules and brings them out of your system).
    Essentially, carbohydrates are your body's preferred fuel source for your brain, which can only metabolize glucose (a simple sugar). It will break down carbohydrates to use the glucose in them, which is why most of your diet should be primarily carbohydrates (I aim for 55%, which myfitnesspal can break down for you). If you don't consume carbohydrates, your body will be smart and convert either fat or protein into glucose molecules, a process which can be very dangerous since high levels of ketones could build up and become toxic to your body. Or, if protein is used (which is used to make up organ/muscle tissues in our body, not meant to be a source of energy) then you may experience irreversible damage to organs (such as the heart), or brittle hair/nails, among other things.
    Fat is your body's second source of energy. Although it doesn't metabolize as easy nor fast as carbohydrates, it is what your body burns mostly during rest or low-endurance exercise.
    All of this nutrition can become complicated if you're not a science major or take little interest in it, but just go by the general guidelines I'm sure you've heard a thousand times: try to choose whole, unprocessed foods when possible. Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, and include proteins, fats, and dairy into your diet (or calcium-fortified foods if you are avoiding dairy products). Foods with added sugars and "empty calories" are okay to consume in moderation, but should never make up most of your diet, for they will decrease satiety levels. Satiety (or rather, satisfaction that makes you not want to binge) can be achieved by eating whole/bulky foods (rather than juices), and consuming adequate levels of protein.
    Myfitnesspal, and other health agencies, recommend aiming for around 55% carbohydrates, 15% protein, and 30% fat daily.
    If you exceed one of those on some days, just try to cut back a little maybe the next day. Your body tends to be good with regulating itself, survival is it's goal.
    I'm sorry if this didn't answer everything, if you have any questions I'm sure there's nothing you can't find online (just make sure you're using reliable websites), or in a book (again, make sure it was published by a reliable organization or knowledgeable person not being sponsored to promote certain "health claims").
  • MityMax96
    Options
    ^^This. Listen to the guy with the chiseled bod. ;-)

Seriously, for weight loss alone, calories are just calories. Sure, you'll get more bang for your buck with more nutrient dense foods, but as long as you're eating at a deficit, you'll see weight loss.

For health reasons, watching your fat, cholesterol, and sodium levels are important, but not vital to weight loss.

:blushing: :blushing: :smooched: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options

That article was awful, the logic is flawed, no studies or references, and ends in an ad for his detox program. C'mon! Just awful.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Sorry for the rant.

I totally agree! There are ways to eat that are much healthier and still stick to a calorie goal. Weather you're trying to gain or lose weight.. the WHAT you put in your body matters just as much as HOW MUCH.

Especially for those of us who are Diabetic, Pre Diabetic, Hypoglycemic, high cholestoral etc (a growing part of the population..duh) telling us to eat our 1500 calories in cake and potato chips is not only wrong its dangerous.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    "Calories are calories," yes, so far as energy taken in and burned, but what your body actually does with the different kinds of macros that you stuff in the ol' pie hole is a very different topic.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since you are new, welcome to the site. But to let you know, this topic is posted a lot. And every time it's posted, it's by a new person. So let me help fill in some gaps because I know it will get down to it:

1. A calorie is a unit of measure. So yes, a calorie is just a calorie
    2. Weight loss =/= health - so you can eat a 1000 calories of twinkies and 1000 calories of meats fruits and veggies and still achieve weight loss.
    3. Macronutrients effect different things - satiety, nutrient absorption, retention of lean body mass, etc...
    4. Using examples such as I did above is disingenuous because NO ONE will advocate for doing that and NO ONE eats like it.
This discussion has been closed.