Hate Vegetables, Please help!

Options
I really really really hate vegetables so it's hard for me to get it into my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my daily vegetables without tasting them? lol

Replies

• Charlie001
    Options
    Puree them.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You could do a light cheese sauce to pour over them with Vache Qui Rit wedges or Philly cream cheese.

I didn't used to like broccoli or cauliflower, but I learned to because they're good for me. I started with the cheese sauce and then did lighter and lighter until I was just eating the steamed veggies (with pepper!)
  • DBritt1
    DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You could try veggie burgers. The brand below can be found at Costco, Trader Joes and usually Kroger. They do not tast bad and are the lowest sodium ones that I have found.

http://www.drpraegers.com/default.aspx
  • hop3
    hop3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How about V8 and V8 Splash?
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I hate them too. I either make my self eat them (rarely) or I juice them (way better).
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You hate ALL vegetables? I kept saying that I hated vegetables, but then I realized it was just lettuce and raw spinach I hated. I found the rest to be much more tolerable. I would keep trying until you find one that you like - and try different spices to help you get through. Good luck!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese is a good 'dip' that I use for carrots. One wedge is only around 35 calories, and it's enough for a serving of carrots. Or you can make your own ranch dressing -- I use fat free cottage cheese (instead of the mayo it calls for) and fat free sour cream, plus one packet of hidden valley ranch dressing. It's good on broccoli and carrots.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Have u tried them as a stir-fry? Broccolli, zucchini, & squash thinly sliced with sweet onions & bell peppers nicely seasoned with chicken breast. Something along those lines.

If you can't do that there are pasta substitutes. I think the brand is Ronzini. 4 oz is the same as 1 serving of veggies.

Also have you thought about juicing? You can use fruits and veggies to make a delicious smoothie.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There are cookbooks about "hiding" your vegetables in your food - you should look into one (or more) of those.

However, I encourage you to experiment - try different veggies (I no longer stick to just salad, green beans and peas... lol.) and try preparing them different ways. You can hate a veggie one way, and discover you really like it (or can tolerate it) another way. My mom HATES cooked cauliflower, but when I make mashed potatoes mixed with mashed cauliflower she likes it, and she likes the cauliflower-crust pizza. Go figure. Some people only like raw veggies, others prefer cooked. Some prefer boiled veggies, others only like them roasted. So many options, and you are likely to discover some combination that you actually don't mind. I've also heard you have to expose yourself multiple times to a new food (like, 10! Preferably prepared several different ways.) before you can really determine that you truly don't like it. Sometimes our bodies react a certain way to something that's new, but the more exposure you have, your reaction may be different. Plus, the more you eat/expose yourself to them, you may find your taste buds change. I genuinely like veggies much more than 2 years ago.

Veggies are critical for a healthy food plan - it's best if you can "make peace" with them and learn to enjoy/tolerate them rather than have to hide them in your food or force them down.
  • baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies too. Although, I have learned to eat green beans (mixed with a little butter and garlic) or throw in lots of carrots into a crock pot roast and tey taste awesome! But mostly I drink a lot of veggies. I bought a juicer and I put everything from apples, oranges, carrots, spinach, berries, kale, etc. With the fruit mixed in you can't taste it. Good luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There are cookbooks about "hiding" your vegetables in your food - you should look into one (or more) of those.

However, I encourage you to experiment - try different veggies (I no longer stick to just salad, green beans and peas... lol.) and try preparing them different ways. You can hate a veggie one way, and discover you really like it (or can tolerate it) another way. My mom HATES cooked cauliflower, but when I make mashed potatoes mixed with mashed cauliflower she likes it, and she likes the cauliflower-crust pizza. Go figure. Some people only like raw veggies, others prefer cooked. Some prefer boiled veggies, others only like them roasted. So many options, and you are likely to discover some combination that you actually don't mind. I've also heard you have to expose yourself multiple times to a new food (like, 10! Preferably prepared several different ways.) before you can really determine that you truly don't like it. Sometimes our bodies react a certain way to something that's new, but the more exposure you have, your reaction may be different. Plus, the more you eat/expose yourself to them, you may find your taste buds change. I genuinely like veggies much more than 2 years ago.

Veggies are critical for a healthy food plan - it's best if you can "make peace" with them and learn to enjoy/tolerate them rather than have to hide them in your food or force them down.

What Trent said.

You can also look in the frozen food section. There is a plethora of veggies in bags that are already seasoned. Most of them go by the name Steamers, Steamfresh, Birdeye...etc. There a few like the broccoli and cheese that I really enjoy eating.
    Look for Green Giant Just for One's too.
  • lookinggreat
    Options
    Great question!
    If you are talking about raw carrots and raw celery: yeah, I hate them too.
    But veggie are delicious if you cook them in certain ways. There are lots of cooking sites where you can type an ingredient and find great recipes (many are rated by people who actually used them so you knwo which recipes are best).
    How about mixing vegetables with other things? Like adding them to a spaghetti sauce? A fajita with meat AND sauteed peppers and onions? Some kind of shepherd's pie with mixed vegetables in the middle? Black bean mexican soup with some peppers? Soups are a great comfort food where you can add not only vegetables but also meat, potatoes, pasta or rice. Add a good pesto to vegetables, or an Asian peanut sauce. Look at Asian recipes: they are great to give taste to vegetables. Roasting vegetable is also delicious (I discovered that recently). Of course cooking adds calories, but I think that a satisfying meal is not a big meal, but a delicious one.
    Take your time exploring the world of vegetables and experimenting with recipes. I'm sure you'll find veggie you actually like. When I was a kid, I hated vegetables. My mom would always make cooked carrots, beets, pureed spinach (made me gag) or the eternal lettuce. When I went to college and shared an appartment with other girls, I really leaned to cook and discovered stuff my mom never made: zucchini, eggplants, all sorts of beans, ethnic cuisine. Now I like vegetables, but it took some exploring and experimenting.
    Good luck and happy cooking!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    veggies are yummy when all mixed together in a stir fry with soy sauce. and some chicken or beef
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    drink shakeology
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I have not found a veggie I hate yet but here are some ideas. Maybe you just hate them the same ole way you have always had them, try roasting them, stir frying them, shredding them on top of a sandwich, blending spinach in with your smoothie, hiding them in a meatloaf, eating them raw, experiment with different spices to liven them up.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on veggies either. The other night my gf and I made broccoli mash potatoes. You take half the amount of potato and replaced it with broccoli. It was so good I had like a 3 serving portion.

The only veggies I like are corn,green beans, asparagus, fried okra,cooked carrots and zucchini. There are a few that I like in things like spinach but when I was little I just ate the spinach straight out the can with vinegar.

What I really don't care for is lettuce, it is so just blah. I have to have a gallon of dressing so I don't taste it.
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    I agree with some of the others; cooking them might be a better way to go!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    V8 and V8 fusion
    casseroles
    stir frys
    light sauces

experiment
    experiment
    experiment
  • MissEmDizzle
    MissEmDizzle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There has to be some veggies that you like!!!! tey something very mild.... maybe some spaghetti sauce with a whole wheat pasta....

cut up spinach really small and cook it with the sauce, you can also add some onions and garlic, with some shredded carrots..... the tomatoe sauce will almost mask the flovor of the veggies.....

you can also do a quinoa stir fry...... with leeks, sugar snap peas, broccolli and carrots.. stir fry them all together with a bit of soy and sesame oil..... just a tsp of sesame oil though cause its very strong. you can always use brown rice instead of quinoa

if you like potatoes you can cook 1 large yukon with peel on , 1 cup cauliflower both boiled till soft mash together with nonfat milk NO butter, top it with corn, and chives.... you can also use fatfree greek yogurt for sour cream substitute or top with 1 tbsp of cheese

I hope this helps!!!!

good luck on your journey to a healthy you!!!

feel free to add me so we can help eachother!!!!:happy:
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    definitely experiment with different vegetables. The more traditional vegetables can be cooked in so many ways so try roasting, shallow frying, stir frying, pureeing, stuffing, boiling, blanching... try it all!

If that doesnt work perhaps try some more exotic vegetables. I really like bean sprouts, bamboo shoots and Pak Choy which are all pan asian vegetables. If you have a chinatown near you perhaps you could experiment with some Chinese vegetables or Caribbean vegetables like Yams, Sweet Potatoes and Okra (lady fingers). When people think of vegetables I think everyone thinks of brussel sprouts and peas but there is so much more to them than that. Get creative! Good luck