How Often do you Way Yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i use to weigh myself every day until i realized that way to many factors go into daily body weight fluctuations and that it was almost pointless. so i weigh myself once a week. usually on Fridays.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I weigh in the morning before I shower and at night before I go to bed. I log my weight every few days. It can be very frustrating but I've not yet had lo log a gain. Good luck on your weight loss ventures!!!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day. You need to do what's best for you. Everybody is different and has different needs.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Every day. I weigh in at the exact same point in my morning routine, because I want the data. I do a couple of weekly in-boxer-shorts pics, also for the record.

It depends on your mentality, but weighing daily can either be fascinating if you can bear the spikes and don't get too exited at the drops, or potentially discouraging and a threat to your discipline, if you see a 1-2lb upswing and can't keep in mind that this is normal.

I'm somewhere in the middle, leaning toward wanting the data for a hopefully rosy look-back someday. I get the pangs of discouragement, like for example yesterday when I weighed in +1lb., in spite of the fact that I know that fluctuations like that are normal. But in general I keep negativity in check and keep collecting daily weight.

Occasionally I will throw in an "I wonder..." weigh in at an odd time, say, after a lunch or dinner, just to see. I discard this data, it's just to remind myself that there are fluctuations, to see if I can spot any pattern, or just because I am curious.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    At the minute I weigh myself every day just to check that im on track (Im aiming to lose 5 stones). If Im not weighing myself its usually because I dont want to face up to the weight I've put on. For me getting weighed frequently is a healthy way to stay on track. It may be obsessive but I need to be obsessive through the 1st few stone at least.
  • lesleyk26
    lesleyk26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    omg im like obsessed with the scales i weight every am and every pm before bed if i get up and it says ive put on i get all upset about it so i dont know y i do it really but glad im not the only one who does it
    but im gonna speak to my partner tonight and ask him to take the scales away from the bathroom and put them back on a thursday am as thats when he weighs me lol
    aint got much hope for tomz weigh in as it said this am thats ive stayed the same :(
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm not a slave to the scale. I weigh myself once in a while, could be 7 days could be 17 (like the time my last 2 checks).

I'm not to concerned with the numbers, if I eat right and exercise, I'll lose fat. If i put on 15 lbs but looked leaner and felt more energized, that'd be okay with me. I have a goal weight in mind, but if I get to my goal size I'd be more excited.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Daily.

I have heard plenty of folks talk about how this is a bad idea because your weight fluctuates, but as long as you remember that a daily weigh in can be a good thing. It can help you see how sodium or any other part of your diet effects your daily weight. For example, ANY time I eat ANY beef I weigh up the next day. And its temporary, but its cool to know.

Also, I'm at a point in my loss now where any loss I have is slow and fluctuations can completely negate them. So I enjoy seeing all of them and getting average. 148.4 after a good few days of healthy, low sodium eating. Two days later, I've lifted weights and eaten too much sodium and BAM - weighing in at almost 150. Temporary, but it would suck if I didn't see it as a part of an overall fluctuating.

I dunno. It works for me.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Like you, I weigh everyday in order to keep myself motivated or get myself back on track. I only "count" my Monday weights in order to see how much Ive lost over the course of the week. So far, it works for me :)
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily but also only track once a week, on friday mornings...
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    weekly, on Friday morning.

sometimes I "peak" in the middle of the week

But I get way to obsessive about it if I weigh daily.
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I weight myself every Wednesday morning. I can't weigh everyday or I would be obsessed...I feel like limiting it to one day a week helps me stay focused...'I have x number of days till weigh in, how hard can I work over the next x days??' that sort of mentality....it's been working for me....try some things out and do what works best for you =)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to weigh every day. I'm already at a healthy weight - just want to get a little lower in the range. I need to see my fluctuations so when I do my official weigh in and it happens to be higher than before I won't get discouraged. I learned that when you are already relative lean you will see more fluctuations.

Example: On Monday morning I weight 128.6 (my lowest has been 125.2 - last week). On Tuesday morning I weighed 125.8. No way I could've lost 3 pounds overnight. So I know I lost some water weight.

And I only log progress.
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    Call me slighlty OCD, but I weigh myself prob about twice a day- once when I get up, and once before I go to bed.... and occasionally sometimes when I get home from work, come home from gym, before I eat dinner, after I eat dinner, etc. LoL. Probably not too healthy- but oh well. Rather be obbessing weighing myself then obbessing over ice cream, or 20 piece chicken nuggets and fries, or chocolate milk. I think that weighing myself consistantly (okay constantly) helps me keep on track. Sometimes I will want to eat ceral at night and then I weigh myself before I do and I wont because I want to lose that extra pound for the morning weigh in. Whatever works I suppose... or maybe im just a little preoccupied....
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    I do daily weigh-ins. It can be frusterating at times when the scale goes the wrong direction for a day or two, but it reminds me to stay on the plan and motivates me to work out when I have been slacking off. Every time it goes down it brings a smile to my face and reminds me of why I am tracking.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Daily.

I have heard plenty of folks talk about how this is a bad idea because your weight fluctuates, but as long as you remember that a daily weigh in can be a good thing. It can help you see how sodium or any other part of your diet effects your daily weight. For example, ANY time I eat ANY beef I weigh up the next day. And its temporary, but its cool to know.

Also, I'm at a point in my loss now where any loss I have is slow and fluctuations can completely negate them. So I enjoy seeing all of them and getting average. 148.4 after a good few days of healthy, low sodium eating. Two days later, I've lifted weights and eaten too much sodium and BAM - weighing in at almost 150. Temporary, but it would suck if I didn't see it as a part of an overall fluctuating.

I dunno. It works for me.

It's amazing to watch isn't it? I'm in the same boat. When I saw the numbers rise I freaked out. But then they went back down.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I way my self at least once a day. I see something crazy and say "no way", then say "Way" cuz I just saw it. :tongue:

JK. I weigh in most day which has helped me understand my weight fluctuation (+ or _ 4 lbs). I don't freak out if I am up or down by a bit because that is normal for me. I do a semi official weigh in each month.
  • Mo120
    Mo120 Posts: 20
    Options
    I also weight myself once a week on Monday mornings. I get discouraged a little when I don't see results. Weighing myself once a week guarantees results and therefore... a positive mood!