Has anyone had Synvisc injections?

Options
Jruzer
Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
I've got osteoarthritis in both of my knees which has made running painful. I would like to get more into running, so my orthopedist recommended Synvisc as a possible solution. This is an artificial fluid that is injected into the joints which cushions and lubricates them. The injections have to be repeated biannually. From what I understand there appear to be few side effects, at least in the short term.

Has anyone had this treatment? Has it helped you? Is it worth it?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Options
    Bumping; hoping for responses.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I did the Synvisc route. I didn't have any side effects (except for a lessening of pain!). It worked for a while, and then we tried Synvisc with a bit of Cortizone and that worked for a while too. The synvisc helped me to put off surgery for about 3 years until it became a quailty-of-life issue and then I had both knees replaced.

I hate to tell you, but running is hard on the knees. Synvisc isn't a cure. It does help with the pain by providing some cushioning and lubrication. It may help you for a while, years even, but the bigger question is whether you'd be doing damage or speeding up the arthritis by all that pounding.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    My experience is the same as icimani's. I did synvisc and cortisol route for 2 years but I had already stopped running before this due to the arthritis. Two years later I had a (L)-TKR. The other main issue occuring with the arthritis is the body compensation taking place. I had no side effects but my observation taught me this >*

*Synvisc just provides temporary lubrication and comfort. I think synvisc is also strong enough to disguise what actually is happening to the knee joint and can create increased degeneration without you feeling it. Heck, there were days I wanted to go for a run because I had no pain and I hadn't run/jogged in 3 years.

You may not be aware of it at first. But arthirits easily causes an imbalance of your core, and can change the length of'your legs
    as your weight shifts within compensation mode especially when you're active! Your hips, pelvic area, and lower are projecting themselves outward or inward depending on the pain and which way your body is favoring itself. I had neck and back pain, leg pain, and headaches.

My best tips are good nutrition, cardio> bicycle-swim-walk, Strength> do speciifc exercises for your knee; Go light on weight bearing stuff like dead lifts, squats, etc.
    Take care of your knee like you would in PT rehab. Do core and leg work, too. You need to build up those muscles and keep them strong to help your arthritis as much as possible. If you do have any surgery your knne and body will be prepared, and you'll have a great recovery.

It was extremely difficult to hang up my sneakers at 44 years old. I was an athlete my entire life and also a long distance runner. For me it was quality of life versus quantity of life. I was 49 yeas old when I had my TKR. Good luck with this. Stay strong!
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!

I guess I will stick to what I've been doing, which is more or less what you've recommended.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!

I guess I will stick to what I've been doing, which is more or less what you've recommended.

maybe look into taking up biking or swimming? Running causes me some issues without arthritis...yet. It's coming (two menisectomies and an ACL repair on my left knee guarantee it.)
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My ex's mother took those and they were wonderful, she tried almost every pill out there. Her only side effect from this was fear from the needles, she had no more pain in her hand, they did cause nasty bruises upon injection but everyone is different