How bad are 1000 cal deficits, really?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's his choice if he wants to weigh 130lbs, and as it's still in the healthy weight range for his height I suggest you stop criticising. Just a suggestion.
    Anyway you look at it his 1000 calorie deficit to lose 20 pounds is not a good idea. He can do what ever he wants, sure, but he asked for advice.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The answer is ... depends. For someone with like 50lbs plus to lose it's probably ok. For you .. not so much. I do notice you say you eat more at the weekends. So it's not disastrous. But if you can even out your eating habits a bit more your body will thank you.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The answer is ... depends. For someone with like 50lbs plus to lose it's probably ok. For you .. not so much. I do notice you say you eat more at the weekends. So it's not disastrous. But if you can even out your eating habits a bit more your body will thank you.

OP never said he ate more on weekends. That was another poster.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's his choice if he wants to weigh 130lbs, and as it's still in the healthy weight range for his height I suggest you stop criticising. Just a suggestion.
    Anyway you look at it his 1000 calorie deficit to lose 20 pounds is not a good idea. He can do what ever he wants, sure, but he asked for advice.

Umm, why is it a bad idea? Seems fine to me....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Umm, why is it a bad idea? Seems fine to me....

At his low weight he will more likely be burning muscle for energy.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

OP never said he ate more on weekends. That was another poster.

Ah pardon me. Then OP is a silly billy. And needs to slow down if he doesn't want to look like Christian Bale from the Machinist.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    1000 cal deficits .. at 150 lbs - very bad. At 300 lbs - very good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1000 calorie deficit is 2 pounds per week. It depends how much you weigh. You only have 20 pounds to lose so let us know how much if any muscle is lost with this deficit?

This ^

A 1,000 calorie deficit for an obese person is different than a 1,000 calorie deficit for someone that is merely overweight. These are two totally different things.

I'm merely overweight so a 1,000 calorie deficit would mean fat and muscle loss. Not acceptable. I want to REDUCE my body fat %.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For a month now, and you've lost 0 pounds??? It's not working.
  • rachiealx
    Options

I agree that a 1000 calorie deficit it too aggressive for his goals, yes. Constructive advice though guys, not criticism.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I agree that a 1000 calorie deficit it too aggressive for his goals, yes. Constructive advice though guys, not criticism.
    A matter of perspective, really.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The personal insults chased him off but I don't think given all the evidence he was actually achieving 1000 calorie deficits. So all the advice to eat more isn't very applicable because no one really knows how high his deficit is because he never admitted how fast he was losing.

But everyone sees claims of 1000 deficit at normal BMI and envisions a muscle-free skeleton with sheets of skinny fat hanging off it. I have never seen that or anything to suggest it exists. I've never seen anyone at normal BMI drop 2 lbs/week regularly eating 1600 calories, either. Maybe it happens, though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    There were two not so positive comments. One was me, saying he was probably an emo teen. That's who mostly aims for really low weights on here... And the poster who called him a troll. Otherwise, folks gave him good advice.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    There were two not so positive comments. One was me, saying he was probably an emo teen. That's who mostly aims for really low weights on here... And the poster who called him a troll. Otherwise, folks gave him good advice.

I stand by my comment. This poster stands by his comment. I also ask why he wanted to be low body weight. Not he a troll and leave it at that so I gave him benefit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    He didn't ask for you to call him names and then try to start fighting about whether he was an emo teen and make comments about not understanding why he wants to weigh what he wants to weigh, et cetera.

He did nothing to deserve the harassment he got.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weight around 150 lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few months so I could be lower than that, I wanted to give myself some time between weighs.

I suppose I'm coming from a weird place, as even before this calorie watching I wasn't eating a lot of food, the food I was eating was unhealthy and high in calories however. Now that I've changed the quality, I seem to have no problem with the quantity. Being 150lbs at 5'8 doesn't really put me at much weight to lose, so I don't plan on doing this forever.

My goal is to combine this with intermittent fasting to get the fat off, and then I'll be looking to bulk.

And trying to drop 20 more lbs?
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    MFP says i should eat 2450 cals but i never go over 2k, hell sometimes i never go over 1750, im pretty strict on how i eat. and it does work, and i always make sure my biggest meal is breakfast and workour 6 times a week
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    He didn't ask for you to call him names and then try to start fighting about whether he was an emo teen and make comments about not understanding why he wants to weigh what he wants to weigh, et cetera.

He did nothing to deserve the harassment he got.
    Fair enough. But the suggestion that everyone did it is also unfair. It was ME and one other person. And when he said he was not 16, i said "ok". And asked him what I was missing. Why a grown man would want to be so low.
    So yes. I made ONE snarky comment. And one other person made ONE snarky comment.
    And I've owned that snarky comment.

ETA: I stand by my assessment that an adult should not do a 1000 calorie deficit to lose 20lbs to be at a LOW weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I almost hit Report Post on the troll accusations last night and decided to just go to bed because apparently no one else uses that button. But I've reported a few insults today and I think they've been removed. I'm going to use it more and I wish others would. There's no reason people can't disagree civilly without accusing people of being liars and trolls.

If you think you're being trolled, why not report that post or just leave the thread. Trolling is against the rules, too, along with insults.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yup and if you think my post crosses the line, feel free to report it. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

On the plus side the young man got a LOT of good solid advice. Before he abandoned thread, and after. So he has info...