Italian Soup with Turkey Sausage

Options
dvdlover
dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
1 tablespoon evoo
8 ounces sweet or hot Italian-style turkey sausage cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can 15 1/2 ounces red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 can 14 1/2 ounces no salt added diced tomatoes undrained
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
1 package 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup uncooked small such as mini bowties or elbows

heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat add sausage cook and stir 3 minutes add onion cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until onion is tender and sausage is browned pour chicken broth beans and tomatoes into saucepan stir in oregano rosemary and thyme bring to boil reduce heat to low simmer 10 minutes.
stir in spinach and pasta return to boil on medium heat reduce heat to low cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.

calories 135 sodium 599mg fat 3g carbohydrates 16g cholesterol: 9mg protein 11g fiber 4g

Replies

• supersmellyflower
    Options
    How many servings does this make?
  • ProudAirforceWife
    Options
    Sounds delish and I also would like to know how many servings this makes? Is it 1 cup per serving? Thanks!
  • dvdlover
    dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    makes 8 servings @ 1 cup per
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon evoo
    8 ounces sweet or hot Italian-style turkey sausage cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 can 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
    1 can 15 1/2 ounces red kidney beans drained and rinsed
    1 can 14 1/2 ounces no salt added diced tomatoes undrained
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon rosemary
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 package 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
    1/2 cup uncooked small such as mini bowties or elbows

heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat add sausage cook and stir 3 minutes add onion cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until onion is tender and sausage is browned pour chicken broth beans and tomatoes into saucepan stir in oregano rosemary and thyme bring to boil reduce heat to low simmer 10 minutes.
    stir in spinach and pasta return to boil on medium heat reduce heat to low cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.

calories 135 sodium 599mg fat 3g carbohydrates 16g cholesterol: 9mg protein 11g fiber 4g

Turkey Meatballs w/ Spinach and Canalini beans-
    In a tablespoon of Olive oil I put in a pinch of red pepper flakes and garlic , as soon its fragrant I add 2 lrg boxes of Chicken broth, and 4-5 cans of drained canalilni beans bring to a boil add frozen turkey meatballs Italian foster farms are yummy- the let that simmer for 30 min. add a huge amount of spinach or I prefer red swiss chard. you can add a rhine of parm , I dont and I love this soup!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! These soups sound so good. I make one similar with out the beans I can't wait to try your versions.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/02/italian-sausage-soup.html
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bumping to print out later.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Will try this as I love soup!