Worked out four hours today

Options
Totals: 1,896

Your Daily Goal: 2,743

Remaining: 847

*You've earned 1,383 extra calories from exercise today

As you can see, I didn't eat all of my calories. I understand that you are suppose to eat back ALL of the calories. But I just don't understand how eating 2,743 calories could actually help me lose weight...I ate 1,896 calories. That seems to be waaay more then enough. What do you think?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I only eat back around half, I think that often the calories burnt is way overestimated.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    IMO, the estimates for calories burned are way off. But, I haven't tried eating them all back and I really don't know how accurate they are.

Try eating back half. If you are losing too much, feel weak or dizzy or are starving, then try eating more.

If you eat them all back, you still get the health benefits of exercise, which is super, per se, but you lose the weight loss benefits of the exercise. You also run the risk of overeating if the burn totals are wrong.

Four hours! Holy crap on a cracker!!! That's great! :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think that working out for four hours is crazy. Why is that necessary or even desirable?
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. If you are in that range while eating ~1900 cal/day, than you're probably alright. If you are losing more than that on a regular basis, it's time to up your intake so you're not breaking down muscle in the process.

Allan
  • sweetnessnc
    sweetnessnc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think that working out for four hours is crazy. Why is that necessary or even desirable?

I'm just curious....why is it crazy?? I have never heard ANYONE say that exercising for any length of time is crazy. But I would love to hear your expert opinion. Sounds like you have it all together. So...tell me...what's your expert advice on losing weight and how much one should and should not execercise?
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i dont every really eat back my cals. Also, buy an HRM as MFP cal burns are way wrong. Also, 4 hours a day is not smart.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I'm just curious....why is it crazy?? I have never heard ANYONE say that exercising for any length of time is crazy. But I would love to hear your expert opinion. Sounds like you have it all together. So...tell me...what's your expert advice on losing weight and how much one should and should not execercise?

depends on what you did for 4 hours. did you play tennis? swim? lift weights? run? all of the above? I think it depends on what you actually did for 4 hours.

also, I never eat back my calories. I know that is a huge debate on here. personally I don't think you could possibly eat back all your calories if you work-out 4 hours per day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Are you training for an event of some kind?

For me exercise is like diet....it's a lifestyle change. I didn't put the weight on overnight, so I'm not trying to lose it overnight either. I do the amount of exercise that keeps me healthy and hope to continue that pace for years to come.

When people start a "new" exercise plan and go all out....it's easy to burn out. Do what's sustainable for you. If 4 hours a day several days a week is something you hope to continue for years to come....have at it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

If I have four hours a day to weight training I would.
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options

...Actually, there have been studies about exercising too much. It can lead to Exercise Bulimia, which is just as much of a disorder as any eating disorder. It can also lead to injuries and dehydration (and I've actually been hospitalized from this from over exercising).

That being said, I have played many tennis matches that are four hours and my first half marathon took me 3 and a half. I also hike for hours on weekends frequently. No one is judging, but if you are getting that defensive, you might need to ask yourself why.

And I don't eat back all my calories, but I do try to stay around the 2,000 limit if I worked out that much during the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    On weekends when we work outside all day I'm sure I burn way more calories than I would ever want to eat in one day. I just eat until I'm full. I know there will be other days when I eat more than I need. The fact that I'm trying to lose weight is proof that I need more of those big burn days (hense my username).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

I'm just curious....why is it crazy??
    For me it would be crazy because I don't have 4 hours available in a given day. I carve out an hour each morning for exercise. It works for me. If you have 4 hours to do your thing - that's great. Knock yourself out.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I backpack I easily exercise for over four hours. Hiking with a 30lb backpacking might not be the same as an aerobics class, but it isn't easy. Shoot on Tuesday I exercised for 2.5 hours. Thirty minutes weights, thirty minutes mountain biking, 1.5 hour hike. Four might be a little much, but on an active Saturday, it isn't that unheard of for me to get 2-3 hours in...

To the OP: Depends on how much you have to lose whether or not that deficit is excessive.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To OP:
    I do things differently from how the app recommends - namely because I think it sucks as anything but a calorie counting app - and I eat at a deficit of about 250-500cal (depending on how much activity I had that day or how hungry I'm feeling) a day. So long as I stick to that, I'm flexible. However, namely, I just plan all my meals in advance and eat those - if I end up ridiculously hungry, I'll throw in a few fruits or yoghurts or something. But I don't "eat back" exercise calories - I don't see a reason to. Why make myself slow my progress because an app tells me "congratz, you've burned some exorbitant amount of calories - go eat more things"? If I'm not hungry, if my caloric intake meets my BMR+a bit, then I don't need it.

To other topic:
    I never understand folks who say "why would you do that and work out four hours a day?! That's crazy!".

I work out for an hour and a half every weekday morning, then a quick 30mins at lunch, then for three or four days of the week, I have an extra 2.5 hours of other activity - karate, taiko drumming, dancing, etc. Whatever happens in my life. I'm active - I don't sit on my *kitten* at home on a computer for four hours a night, I do that for two. The other two are usually out and about.

Why is it necessary? For me, the 2.5 hours of karate or performance/practice are fun - and the hour and a half to two hours of training that happens at the gym are done to support that performance and level. If I carry more weight than I need, my fighting slows down. If I don't build my muscle and maintain my strength, my speed and power fall. If I don't condition myself, I can't last in a fight or when I perform or have a belt test.

Why is it desirable? Because we like it. Other people might like sitting on a chair and watching TV or playing games. I grew up without a TV or any console, save a Gameboy Colour with Pokemon. I'm not used to sitting down for long periods of time - I like walking, I like playing drums, I like martial arts. Those are fun to me.

Now, I understand that it isn't for everyone - that's fine. I can understand that and respect it. I don't understand why people judge us for liking to be active - there's nothing wrong with it, nor is there anything wrong with working out for two hours a day (or in the case of many, two hours three times a week). As long as everyone's getting their minimum, and training safely, there's no problems.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I never understand folks who say "why would you do that and work out four hours a day?! That's crazy!".

I work out for an hour and a half every weekday morning, then a quick 30mins at lunch, then for three or four days of the week, I have an extra 2.5 hours of other activity - karate, taiko drumming, dancing, etc. Whatever happens in my life. I'm active - I don't sit on my *kitten* at home on a computer for four hours a night, I do that for two. The other two are usually out and about.

Why is it necessary? For me, the 2.5 hours of karate or performance/practice are fun - and the hour and a half to two hours of training that happens at the gym are done to support that performance and level. If I carry more weight than I need, my fighting slows down. If I don't build my muscle and maintain my strength, my speed and power fall. If I don't condition myself, I can't last in a fight or when I perform or have a belt test.

Why is it desirable? Because we like it. Other people might like sitting on a chair and watching TV or playing games. I grew up without a TV or any console, save a Gameboy Colour with Pokemon. I'm not used to sitting down for long periods of time - I like walking, I like playing drums, I like martial arts. Those are fun to me.

Now, I understand that it isn't for everyone - that's fine. I can understand that and respect it. I don't understand why people judge us for liking to be active - there's nothing wrong with it, nor is there anything wrong with working out for two hours a day (or in the case of many, two hours three times a week). As long as everyone's getting their minimum, and training safely, there's no problems.

^^this too. I'm an aerialist so I need to rehearse, practice, etc. That's enjoyment with a little exercise benefit thrown in. I also like hiking and mountain biking. I enjoy weight lifting too, but I'm doing it to build muscle and strength. I enjoy riding my beach cruiser around town, preferably to a bar, lol. OTOH, I can't stand sitting and watching TV for very long. To me, four hours of exercise doesn't sound as crazy as four hours of watching TV. Just sayin'...
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As another poster has pointed out, it depends on what you did for 4 hours, how fit you are, and how you measured this calorie burn. You might have spent 4 hours walking/hiking. You might have spent 4 hours cross country skiing. Or you might have spent 4 hours working in your garden, or even 4 hours playing golf. "work out" doesn't really say very much.

Generally, speaking, most people over-estimate how many calories they burn, and they under-estimate how much they consume.

So, without much more specific information regarding what you did, how many calories it supposedly burned, and how you measured this, it's actually very difficult to provide any good advice on whether you should eat those calories back, or not.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    original.gif?w=500&h=275

Uh, don't you have a job? How the hell did you find 4 hours in your day to work out? That's about 6 calories per minute. What exactly were you doing during this excessively long workout?
  • lemonlime006
    Options
    On days when I train long and have burned a ton of calories, I can be way under on my caloric intake based on what MFP says. I can't even imagine eating more because I've eaten until I'm full. When that happens I look at my overall calories, and generally stick with what is normal for me. For me, that's about 1700. If I've worked out a lot that day, it can go up as far as 2100 or so, and I'm not worried. I think what you're eating is as important as how much. Just because MFP says I have 700 calories left, doesn't mean I will eat something I know is not as smart of a choice as something else. I look at it as fueling and training, not diet and exercise. What you put in will allow you to train better, or worse, depending on what it is.

4 hours is not as crazy as some people think. It just depends on your normal habits, if your body can handle it, and how you're mentally attacking it. I work out a lot in a day but for me it is because I break my workouts up. I run for 30 minutes before working out with a group, which lasts an hour. Then later on in the day, I'll go to the gym and work out for another hour or hour and a half.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Proper logging to ensure you hit your calorie goal on MFP, thus keeping you in a caloric deficit.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    still curious to at least know what the four hours of exercise was.