Over 40 - easier to put on and harder to shift!

Options
2»

Replies

• helen195
    helen195 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Helen mid 40's working mum of 2 from UK.

I have about 60lb to lose, been gradually putting it on over the last 9 years. Spent my teenage years and 20's around 130lb and never need to worry about my weight, finding it had to stay on track.

My fitness aim is to be able to run 5k none stop and build up from there.

Feel free to add me.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 & recently had my body fat % tested, they gave me a chart & on it are age groups & recommended body fat %. I was surprised to see the % goes up at 40 & I am going to try to prevent that - I am working on strength training & my goal is to protect my bones from osteoporosis (runs in my family) & build muscle to ward off unwanted fat. I have seen numerous examples of weight training keeping people lean & "young" and I want that to be me. I am trying to get ready for 40 now by losing weight before I hit 40 & I am planning a big physical challenge for my 40th birthday.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I does get harder to get it off for women over 40. Sucks but true. I'm a trainer and I deal with many women with the same issue. I poped up 73 pounds after 50 and then I had to work towards geting rid of the weight. It can be done. Your friends at MFP are here to encourage you through the process.:wink:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, I didn't have a weight problem until my late 30s. And, now my goal weight is to get back to what I weighed when I first thought I was overweight then. I had other things besides age: children, medications that contributed too. But, I had no real plan on how to lose weight before and I thought counting calories was so difficult. I find this app makes it really easy.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I don't believe "over 40" means automatic and easier weight gain. Nor do I believe "over 40" makes weight loss more difficult.

What I do believe is that priorities shift. In my earlier years, because my priorities were different, it was easier to stay active and be healthier. Then my priorities changed. Away from health, fitness and having fun to marriage, family, career and other "group up" matters. Fitness, exercise, diet and "taking care of myself" got pushed to the back burner, and I reaped the consequences.

At age 50, I decided to change my priorities. I made a conscience decision make my health, fitness and well-being a priority once again. This shift in priorities does mean every thing else takes a back burner. It just means that I have made some simple changes, like taking an evening walk instead of watching TV, bringing my lunch from home instead of grabbing fast food during the lunch hour, getting up a little bit earlier for a morning workout instead of staying up late on the computer (ok, I still have trouble with that one - thanks MFP).

But once I adjusted my priorities, the weight started coming off and I started to feel better about myself - much better.

The only thing about "over 40" that may make things difficult is being "set in my ways" and being reluctant to make the necessary changes and putting in the necessary effort. But that really has nothing to do with age and everything to do with attitude.

Don't use your age (or anything) else as an excuse or reason why can't do something, especially get healthier.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 - yes I put on weight over the last 20 years, since having kids my motivation to lose it wasn't there and I think I accepted myself as middle-aged and that this was what happened .. I bought into the whole it's harder why bother.

But in the last 4 months I have made a change - I am significantly fitter, have more obvious muscles and am finding it easier to stick to a calorie defecit than I ever have to any of the 'fad' diets... the result is so far I've lost 30lbs.

I am trying to keep in my head that it's about being fit .. it's about moving into the next decades as a fit person

and I hope that will be difference for me.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and realized recently my 30s were a total write off when I decided to not care about fitness, etc. as I had all my life. I shifted the weight last year after I turned 40 and it wasn't that hard really. Yes it's easy to put it on, I gain 9 lb over the summer but I don't think it was just as easy as in my 30s.

the only difference is that I have different priorities that take up my time such as a child I had to entertain over the summer. Now he's back in school I'm back on the healthy train.

When I decided to make this change I figured it would be easier to do it now that in 10 years. As the above poster wrote don't use your age as an excuse. It's easy to gain and hard to lose at any age. Just keep at it and it will happen
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I started getting my **** together at age 45. Losing was easy. Gaining is easy. It's all about focus and effort.
  • kingjethro
    kingjethro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have been exercising vigorously almost every day for years.

The sad thing is that if I slack off on carefully watching my diet, I'll gain weight. And, when I go back to counting calories and sticking to my goal, my body fights the weight loss.

Back in my 40's when I stuck to a calorie counting and exercise regiment, it seemed that the weight flew off.

No more.
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    Wish I was in my 40s, never mind, good luck on your journey to a healthier you:))
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    I started gaining weight about age 48. I am currently 52.

It's more than just age. It is being female - sorry guys, it DOES make a difference - and soon, for you, peri-menopausal. Your body simply doesn't burn the calories like it used to!

It will take time, but you can figure out what works for you. Good Luck!
  • pinkshoe23
    Options
    Me, too! I'm 40, early in the cycle of weight related health issues, and struggling to get the motivation to get going. I've got about 50 pounds extra, too. The weight gathers when you don't pay attention, then its work to take off.

I am adding a few of the people who have posts I can relate to. Feel free to add me, too!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    per http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

BMR for a 25yo female 5'4" weighing 140# - 1447.3
    40yo female 5'4" weighing 140# - 1376.8
    50yo female 5'4" weighing 140# - 1329.8

So the difference between in metabolic rates for a 25yo woman and a 40yo woman is 70.5 calories/day. That's less than 6 calories per waking hour. Metabolic rates for the same woman at age 25 and 50 is only 117.5, or 10 calories per waking hour.

If the metabolic rate has not changed significantly as a woman ages, what causes that weight gain? Again, I say it is lifestyle choices, not biology or age.
  • judeveg
    judeveg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have always been very overweight but I am a long term yo yo er and it used to be sooooooooo much easier to lose weight 10 years ago... that could be age or yo yo ing.
  • AlyPally1
    AlyPally1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just had my 49th Birthday and I am determined not to be fat and 50 next year so, I started the 5;2 diet which has gone well but my weight has stalled and I have had no loss for two weeks and getting a bit frustrated. I signed up here after a friend recommended it. My meal plan is public so feel free to have a look and give advice. I have another 15-20 Lb to lose and my failing is sugar :(
    72979301.png
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    At 68, I can eat all I want to, and nothing changes, even with exercise of at least 30 to 50 minutes 3 times a week. I guess I could lose 10 lbs of tummy flubber, but hey, if it comes off fine, if it does not, fine. I only weigh 180 lbs at 5'9'', so what the heck. When I got home from Nam, I weighed 140 lbs, so 40 lbs gain to me is not much, but I know it is to a lot of folks.

MY wife exercises herself to death, really, and counts carbs, and so on to the letter on MFP and not much change and I do not understand that. How someone can work so hard for loss of maybe one or two lbs a week is frustrating to me. Yes she hates me because I can eat a ton of food and really no weight gain.

For 10,000 dollars I will give you my DNA code/metabolism code. My BP runs 120/80 to a low of 117/77 when I really walk the 3 mile power walks on youtube( Leslie Sansone walks) . I eat peanut butter alot, but dont list it on MFP, what the heck. I tried some of the Tae Bo stuff, but at my own pace, some of that is hard to me, but I do some of it, but with less reps.

I know many in here struggle with weight loss, mercy it must be tough. I think it must be one of those you gotta keep , keeping on...........like in the Navy Seals in training, Don't ring the bell, or your out of the Seals for good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so,,,,DON'T RING THE BELL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one more push up, leg kick, one more bench press, or squats for the 50th time, don't ring the Bell.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I turned 41 a few months ago, and I did not notice any significant change in metabolism when I turned 40 or 41. I did notice a slow and gradual decrease in metabolism over the past 20 years, but it wasn't major...I probably burn 100-200 fewer calories per day at the same activity level than I did 20 years ago. Enough to make a difference in the long term, but not a huge difference on a daily basis. Also, I find it more difficult to achieve the same activity level that felt natural 20 years ago, but I feel that has less to do with age than with habit...going to school fulltime while working fulltime for the past few years has left little time for fitness.
  • DazzlingJ
    Options
    I am reading Gottfriend now. It's amazing information! I have already tried the Progesterone cream and gotten huge results. Where can you get a saliva test done?
    Thanks
    Jenny