Would you call this sedentary or lightly active?

Options
I have a desk job but live in NYC, so I have to walk everywhere. I clock 10 minutes to the subway in both directions, as well as 10 minutes to the gym, 10 to lunch, or the drugstore, etc....maybe average 30-35 mins walking (including strolls around the office) every day in addition to exercise. I also go up and down the stairs at work and in the subway station about 5 times a day.

It changes my calorie goals by 300 calories, so I don't want to misjudge this--

thanks!

Replies

• CJWirth09
    CJWirth09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would go with lightly active. It is quite a good amount there. :smile:
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    sedentary i would think.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I would go with sedentary. See how you're feeling after a week. I'm somewhere in between sedentary and lightly active, so when I found that I was sapped for energy on the "sedentary" level, I manually added 150 calories a day and now I feel better and am still losing.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active! Sedetary is where you heart rate don't rise much during the day... but if your sitting at your desk most of the day.. and then walking here and tehre.. your rising your heart rate and burning more calories.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I would make it lightly active... the fact that you walk everywhere does not make you sedentary. If you're uncomfortable with this, then make it sedentary, but then log all the walking as exercise for a few days. If you're regularly burning 300+ calories with the walking, then change it to lightly active.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I would make it lightly active... the fact that you walk everywhere does not make you sedentary. If you're uncomfortable with this, then make it sedentary, but then log all the walking as exercise for a few days. If you're regularly burning 300+ calories with the walking, then change it to lightly active.

THAT is a perfect solution!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would go with sedentary, and if you want the extra calories log the 30-35 min walking, I bet it is lower than 300 cals, probably closer to 150 extra.
  • TXmama
    TXmama Posts: 37
    Options
    I would start with sedentary... personally, I would rather err on the side of too few calories (as long as you are sure to keep above the minimum 1200!). If you find you just can't make it through the day, you can always bump it up... but I think that way would be easier than starting too high and then having to adjust downward. Good luck!
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would say sedentary. I put my self as lightly active...I'm a stay at home mom of a 9 month old and a 5 yr old but I'm on my feet most of the day doing light activities....cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, changing diapers, making bottles, etc..
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would go with sedentary. See how you're feeling after a week. I'm somewhere in between sedentary and lightly active, so when I found that I was sapped for energy on the "sedentary" level, I manually added 150 calories a day and now I feel better and am still losing.

Oh good idea, how do you manually add?
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I would also make those 10 minute walks power walks and you can log it with higher activity.
  • cclala
    Options
    I would also make those 10 minute walks power walks and you can log it with higher activity.

Good idea!
  • ajbeans
    Options

My Home> Goals> Customize

Then you can just input your own number for the calories. Don't forget to hit "save."
  • cclala
    Options

My Home> Goals> Customize

Then you can just input your own number for the calories. Don't forget to hit "save."

Thank you!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sedentary.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If walking that much per day is sedentary, what am I? Very few people live in NY and walk everywhere. Some people drive to work, go to their desk and back to their car then back home. Besides workouts, that's about my level of activity!