10k run... OMG don't know if I can do it!!!

Options

Replies

• superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just stick to your plan and you'll be fine! Hal knows what he's doing. :wink:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Aww :) The people's responses here are so nice! I think you can do it too!

(I'm jealous that when I posted a very similar thread a month before my race everyone said I wouldn't be able to do it. Though I suppose I left out the info that I could run 5 km since I'd never measured it).
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner as well, and I found the training for 0-5K MUCH more difficult than the training for the additional distance of 5K-10K. What really worked for me was to increase the distance slowly - by 500 m to 1 km per week. And to run 15 min, walk 1 min, run 15 min, walk 1 min as I was increasing the distance. Once I got to 10K distance, I'd slowly increase the duration of the run time 18 min, walk 1, then 20 min, walk 1 then 22 min walk one, then 25 min walk one until I had only one walk break in the middle. And then I just cut the walk break out. It's scarier in your head - just get past the mental hurdle and you can totally do it!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Be consistent, follow your plan, and don't stress. Is this your first race? You will be cheered on and supported by the people around you. The excitement of the day helps a lot as well. There is no shame in walking intervals if you don't feel you are quite ready come race day. A month is a tight schedule to get from 5 to 10k but if you are consistent you can do it. Be careful to stretch and recover properly so you don't injure. And you should sign up for a 10k later in the year and keep running to see your progress. Running is very cumulative over months and years. If you stick with it you will be amazed later in the year when a 10k seems so easy. Good luck. Hope you have a great race.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're well on track. Slow is good - when you find it hard just go slower. Speed will come in time, get the distance under your belt first.

Do double check you're running for distance rather than time though. For my first 10K I'd trained up to an hour but the race on a hilly course took me more like one hour 20 minutes!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Training and race day are two completely different things. You'll have so much adrenaline pumping you'll be able to knock it out no problem. Have fun!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine
  • kmullah91
    kmullah91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My grandfather coached cross country in high school. He told me that the average person can run a good 3 miles more in a race than they can while training, due to the adrenaline and determination, along with keeping pace/competing with others around them. I did the 10K at the Cleveland Marathon this summer, and I was struggling running 5 miles straight through... Grandpa was right. I finished the 10K in 56 minutes. I did stop and walk a couple times, but I made sure not to walk more than 30 seconds at a time. I probably only had to stop for those walking breaks a good 4 times. It was well worth it. I was so proud. The key is good nutrition, good sleep, and not too vigorous training for AT LEAST the ENTIRE WEEK prior to the race. The morning of the race, get up early, not just enough to be on time. Have a healthy, carb filled breakfast, like a high fiber cereal or oatmeal, bananas, etc. Make sure you eat at least an hour and a half before the race.... the rest is all mental. Get good tunes in your head phones and just GO FOR IT. Be sure to pace yourself. Don't start out at max speed. You will never make it through. Start slow, tell yourself you have all day to do it, and really start speeding up once the first 5k is out of the way. Save your energy for the last mile. Kill yourself the last mile. You will end smiling and full of pride. Promise. <3 Good luck.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    IMHO running distance is more mental than physical. Tell yourself you can do it. Break down longer runs into chunks in your mind. Tell yourself - just get to the next mile marker, etc. I do a 6 mile run each week and it's amazing to me how I sometimes feel BETTER at mile 4 or 5 than mile 2! There really is such a thing as a second wind.

Trust me, you can do this. I used to HATE having to run even a mile in high school and I've gone on to run three full-distance marathons. It's mental toughness that will see yourself through. Start telling yourself positive things. Sometimes on harder runs I even talk aloud to myself: "you got this." "you can do it." "one more mile down." etc.

Good luck. ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    C5GVW2z.jpg
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just recently registered for my very first 10k run at the end of Oct. I'm on week three of Hal Higdon's 10k training plan, and I'm nervous, lol. I can now run 5k straight, slow but I can do it. I just can't see the jump from 3-6 miles in a month!!!

Yes, you can. You really can...
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Aww :) The people's responses here are so nice! I think you can do it too!

(I'm jealous that when I posted a very similar thread a month before my race everyone said I wouldn't be able to do it. Though I suppose I left out the info that I could run 5 km since I'd never measured it).

^^I'm sorry to hear you got some negative feedback :(

I feel soo much more confident after reading everyone's post here!!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    Yes, it's a total mental game. I'm trying to overcome that, hopefully I will through the next few weeks. I'm excited now!

Who listens to music during your race?
    Do you eat?

My race is 7 AM, I usually run well fasting but wondering since it's longer distance if I should eat something.
  • brettpedersen37
    Options
    I started running last April, so basically 18 months, and I'll be running my second marathon this weekend. I started out not being able to even run 2 miles at once. Follow your training plan and don't be surprised when you're running your first half marathon :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe you can do it.

I only began running back in July, and worked my way up to completing my first run that was just under 6 miles last week. I have done it twice more and am now resting for my first 10k this weekend. You have time, and at the rate you are going right now, so long as you keep at it you should be just fine.
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    I'm inspired by all your runs! Especially seeing how you all build on distance, so awesome!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that getrting to a 5K distance was quite brutal in comparison to extending the distance. I stayed at 3 -3.5 miles for about a year. When I decided to go further I found it was hard - really hard - to get to 4 miles. However, once I got to four miles and did it once or twice miles 4-6.2 were a piece of cake :flowerforyou:

I have my first 10K on the 27th of September and I am still nervous even though I am up to 8 miles plus in training for my half in October!
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    I agree with everyone that getrting to a 5K distance was quite brutal in comparison to extending the distance. I stayed at 3 -3.5 miles for about a year. When I decided to go further I found it was hard - really hard - to get to 4 miles. However, once I got to four miles and did it once or twice miles 4-6.2 were a piece of cake :flowerforyou:

I have my first 10K on the 27th of September and I am still nervous even though I am up to 8 miles plus in training for my half in October!

I've done one 5k race and it was horrible, I didn't plan well or train. I think that is partly why I'm nervous. Since then I have been running on a regular basis and a 5k is very doable for me with no issue.

You'll do great on your 10k and half!!!! Have fun!
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A month ago, I could only run 1 mile now I can run a mile and a half!
    If I can do it so can you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You've got this, no problem. Keep in mind that for serious runners their 5K pace is faster than their 10K pace which is faster than their half marathon pace, etc. I agree with the other poster who said that if you slowed down you could probably do the whole 10K today (but don't, you want to build up the distance so you're doing it injury-free :smile: ).

Higdon's plan is a good one. Just follow it, put in the miles and you'll be surprised how quickly you build up your endurance. Run the long runs at a slower pace than the short ones; you're working on endurance, not speed. In addition to the other good race day info, make sure you don't do anything on race day you haven't done before. No new clothing, foods, etc. Make sure to test out everything on training runs first so there are no surprises during the race.