Obese and Flying

Options
In exactly 2 months I will be flying to Nashville for a work trip. I have not flown in years and am so nervous about being overweight and having that dreaded moment where I'm told I need an extra seat in front of my co-workers. It never happened to me before, but this is the highest I've been. I think the last time I flew I was around 200 pounds...or less. I can't remember. It seems like I'm always hearing about this happening to people. I am 5'3" and currently weight 279. I'm an apple shape and carry the bulk of my weight in my stomach. Anyone have any experiences with flying and being overweight? Good or bad appreciated. Bad will motivate me and the good will help me stress less.

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3 and currently 340. I flew a month ago at about 350 lbs and could get the seat belt on. I was cramped but mainly because of long legs. If your shape is as you describe, you shouldn't need two seats. The "passenger of size" policies relate to the ability to get the arm rest down not to whether or not the buckle needs an extension. If you carry in your stomach it shouldn't affect the ability to lower the armrest since that has more to do with width like carrying in your hips and sides.

That being said, I wouldn't wait for the flight to get motivated. The fact that you are apprehensive about your size and the ability to function in a job task, should be motivation to do something. Flying isn't fun when you are big. Even though I fit in the seat okay (not great but okay), I still hate using the bathroom on a plane. I also hate trying to get on and off a plane carrying things. It's just more awkward than if I lost 50 pounds or even 15 pounds.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I flew at around 270 lb although I am 5'8" and carry my weight all over, I always had a big belly roll and massive hips (actually I still have massive hips even at size 10/12)...anyway I was able to get the belt on without any type of extender and definitely did not need a second seat. It was uncomfortable on my hips and I felt big, but like I did indeed FIT and wasn't much in my neighbor's way (people sitting on both sides of me). I remember kind of holding my arms/hands in front of me to avoid my arms being over on their arm rests but that's how I was most of the time at larger weights, trying to make myself seem smaller :-/ Hope this helps.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bad will motivate me and the good will help me stress less.

Please don't rely on motivation to do things- just make the decision to do it- and then go do it- motivation will abandon you significantly sooner than you think it will.

I have nothing else to add other than that honestly- I've never had to deal with that situation- but I can understand how stressful it would be.

Just keep making good choices between then and now- and being disciplined with moving forward. Honestly at your weight- you can probably lose 1.5- 2 pounds a week- and that's almost 15- 20 pounds- so it's a good goal to shoot for in terms of working and staying consistent for you trip.
    , I still hate using the bathroom on a plane.
    man I hate using those things and I've only ever been just a little bit big for my height- those things are SO uncomfortable!!! I'm not sure that EVER goes away!!!
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weighed in the mid 270s the last time I flew back in the spring. Fit comfortably. No seat belt extender needed. No spilling onto my neighbor.

At my size, one of the things I hate is the uncertainty of eyeballing things and trying to decide whether or not I'll fit. For that reason, I discovered that most airlines have a "fine print" policy stating how they deal with "passengers of size" (which is a ridiculous term because everyone has size even if it's a small size). If it makes you more comfortable, you can look up their policy which may include seat dimensions, etc. so that you could make arrangements through the airline ahead of time instead of being embarrassed in front of your coworkers.

Here is Southwest's statement for example: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weighed in the mid 270s the last time I flew back in the spring. Fit comfortably. No seat belt extender needed. No spilling onto my neighbor.

At my size, one of the things I hate is the uncertainty of eyeballing things and trying to decide whether or not I'll fit. For that reason, I discovered that most airlines have a "fine print" policy stating how they deal with "customers of size" (which is a ridiculous term because everyone has size even if it's a small size). If it makes you more comfortable, you can look up their policy which may include seat dimensions, etc. so that you could make arrangements through the airline ahead of time instead of being embarrassed in front of your coworkers.

Here is Southwest's statement for example: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and just flew last month at 280. Everyone has a different shape, so it's hard to say how it was for me will be how it is for anyone else. I fit comfortably enough in the seat, but the seatbelt was on the verge of not fitting. It was a real boost for my current motivation level. Good luck to you!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am 6'0" 320lbs and I fly regularly. Some airlines it is a tight squeeze, but I do not need the extender. If you do, just ask the flight attendant.
  • toofatfortoolong
    Options
    I haven't flown recently, but I know the psychological effects of carrying the weight makes me worry about sitting on garden chairs, rides at theme parks, sharing seats on buses, school assemblies where have to sit on a teeny kids chair, and a multitude of other things, determined to stop this and get on with my weight loss. Its the strain on my joints that worrys me more. But I do find myself avoiding situations in case I break a chair or won't fit, or I'll get stuck or something. I'm only just starting out and I weighed 299 down to 291 in 2 weeks so far, determined to do this so lets do it together and worry no more.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would check into what type of plane you'll be on. We flew to Jamaica in April and had a connecting flight both going and coming. The plane for the connecting flight was small, 2 seats on each side, all the way down...what I call a semi-puddle jumper. I am 5'6" and was about 153 lbs at the time, and those flights were tight even for me. However, our international flight was on a much larger plane and it was much more comfortable, with 3 fairly large seats on each side. We booked through a travel site, so we had no idea what type of plane we would be on until we got to the airport. I started this journey at 213 lbs, so when we took the trip I was very glad I had lost most of my weight. I hope this helps!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    277, old, and lame, here. Just flew up to Boston and back -- needing to change planes twice. Okay, planes are more uncomfortable than ever. You will be squeezed in like a sardine but so will everyone else and you are unlikely to be the biggest person on the plane. Avoid exit and bulkhead rows because they have the tray tables in the seat sides so are even narrower than the other seats. As you enter to plane -- or after you sit down -- request a seat belt extension from the flight attendant. Be nice and return it to them as you get off the plane. If you forget and leave it in your seat, that's okay, too. Then, just hope you don't end up with a whole row of rotund folks. You'll get to know your neighbors really well so bathe, use deodorant and DO NOT splash on the cologne! :ohwell:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i think you will be okay! i weighed like 240ish the last time i flew, and i was able to get the seatbelt on pretty easy, and i have a big ol' tummy. i would call ahead and ask, because every plane is different!
  • I'm currently 5'6 and 340 lbs. Last time I was on a plane I was about 320 lbs and the only problem I had was needing a belt extension. It was a little embarrassing for me, but it could have been worse.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8. last time I flew I was about 275. You should be ok. I will say request a seatbelt extender as you board the plane. They have a finite number of them, best to make sure you have one.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Definitely check what kind of aircraft you'll be on. Some have far smaller seats than others.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    Options
    When I fly with my mother she needs to have one and we just ask so soon as we get on the plane it is a little embarrassing for her but it was overall ok. I sit next to her because I will not complain about her body crowding over. I found that to be the most problematic is when I am not the one sitting next to her, I don't know your body so I don't know if that will be a problem plus my mother is larger than you are. I think it will be fine though. Have a nice trip!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with Pirate chick. ask for the seat belt extender as soon as you board. The flight staff have been kind to me and don't make a big deal out of it. As some others have said the seat may be tight but as long as you can get the arm rest down you are ok. If possible try to get an aisle seat you will have a tad more room.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8. last time I flew I was about 275. You should be ok. I will say request a seatbelt extender as you board the plane. They have a finite number of them, best to make sure you have one.

I agree with this. go ahead and ask ahead of time, so you don't try to buckle and can't. I wish you well and try not to worry
    :smile:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I was a flight attendant for a number of years as well as a trainer for a number of years after. At my airline, the flight attendants have nothing to do with requiring the extra seat to be purchased...that call is made before the passengers get to the plane. I am not 100 percent sure where the decision is made, but if you have the ability, why not check in before your co-workers? I think that is most likely where you may be asked to purchase a second seat, though I doubt you will be. I don't have a good frame of reference for what 279 looks like myself, so I'm really just guessing based on the replies of others here. Either way, if it was me and I was worried about it I'd rather be safe than sorry..I'm sure you'll continue to worry until you get there. At least if you are able to check in without coworkers around it won't be as big a deal if you do end up needing to get an extra...then it's just "oh lucky me! I have an empty seat next to me!" They won't be the wiser if you don't tell them.

Good luck and try not to stress about it :-)
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This can be a touchy subject.

I flight a lot on business. I'm 5'9" and my maximum weight was 274-ish. At that weight, I fit in the sit but pressed against the arm rests when flying the smaller, regional jets and had to pull my arms in front of me in order to not invade the other passenger's space. I was one of the few businessmen who preferred to sit next to children because I didn't might the noise (most were well behaved anyways) and it gave me a little more arm room. Anytime I had to sit next to another large person, it was a very uncomfortable proposition for us both. I've never had to ask for a seat belt extension.

There are a handful of travelers that get very snarky about their personal space. Check out the recent news about diverted flights from reclined seats for some good examples. I've read (but can't confirm) that larger passengers have been asked to change seats or were kicked off a flight due to complaints from their neighbors. Never had that experience personally.

I try my best to get an aisle seat so I can spill out/stretch out a little. Moreover, I tend to get a seat towards the back of the plane. It's a little noisier and you'll be getting off last - but I think it increases the odds of having an open seat next to you.

The worst part of flying while heavy for me was carrying my stuff. Like @CaitlinW19 said, try not to stress. You'll probably be fine. I've seen people much larger than you describe flying in coach without an extra seat.

Last thought... I don't know how far Nashville is from you, but you could always consider driving if it's within 4-5 hours on the road. 4-6 hours driving distance is about a wash time-wise when it comes to flying due to having to check in, fetch luggage from baggage claim, catch a cab, etc.

Sam
  • kcaitbpaitw
    kcaitbpaitw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was upwards of 290 for a while and flew with no issues with needing another seat. Here is an idea though, makes the whole thing less awkward if you aren't going to be sitting next to people you know really well - get a window seat, so any extra bulk can be squished into the window. Avoid the aisle seat like the plague, unless you want to get bumped by every person and drink cart coming down the aisle.