Burgers and Pizza while attempting weightloss?

Options
Ok, so I needed to catch your attention lol..

Honestly, i'm fairly new at this whole lifestyle.
I've eaten junk all my life.
I'm trying to get accustomed to this new lifestyle, but
I love burgers and pizza.

I've found replacements, but my question is...

Will this contribute to my weight loss or is it bad for me?

For example: Instead of a double cheeseburger I now eat

Burgers:
100 Calorie Flat bread
Buca veggie burger pattie
Avocado instead of mayo
letttuce and tomato
and reduced fat cheese.

Pizza instead of 5 slices of pizza hut (;o) lol

I'll have a whole wheat pita bread.
Reduced fat cheese.
Load it with veggies.
and Chicken instead of pepperoni.

I know I need to introduce healthier meals into my diet.
And I know i'm not eating enough greens.
But please don't judge me this is all new to me
I feel as if I jump right into it i'll give up.

Feel free to check out my diary and advise me :)

Thank you all for your time!!

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation is key. I still eat regular pizza and sometimes burgers. I just eat lighter the rest of the day on those days. I do it only once a week though.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and nutrition goals, tastes good, doesn't cause you any adverse reactions, you're eating a varied diet to get plenty of micronutrients, and you feel full and satisfied eating like this, then I don't see any problems.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Those sound awesome.

You can eat any food. That doesn't mean you should eat ONLY pizza and burgers. But they still fit into your life. Just be aware of portions, and what you need in a day.

Ps-At my house when we do burgers on the grill, we normally do hot dogs also. I like a lean beef variety that is 60 calories each. And still tastes like a hot dog! Some of the low fat hot fogs are kind of nasty IMO. I don't often do burgers, but can fit one + bun and sides in when I want to.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't do any "replacement" food. I just eat it and log it. Getting your brain to accept that a double cheeseburger or 5 pieces of pizza is probably not the proper portion for you is the bigger battle.

Good luck!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and nutrition goals, tastes good, doesn't cause you any adverse reactions, you're eating a varied diet to get plenty of micronutrients, and you feel full and satisfied eating like this, then I don't see any problems.

^^^^ this. You can have your burger and lose weight too. You don't have to give up everything you love. Otherwise this lifestyle change would never work for you. If you can find a way to fit it in, and hit your goals without going over, then go for it.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If you're truly in this for a new lifestyle then you have to ask yourself if you can live with what you're not eating forever. The options you've come up with are fantastic and kudos to you for making the attempt to create them.

You don't HAVE to give up pizza and burgers, you do need to control yourself with them but trust me life happens and there are going to be days when you go to a BBQ and the only food is a burger and high fat salads, then what are you going to do? Play around with things, I always bring a green salad when we go to a BBQ now then if my options are a "burger" then I take the burger, chop it up and toss over a green salad using mustard, ketchup and so on as a dressing.

Good luck to you and again kudos for finding healthier options that you enjoy.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am (was) just like you. I ate junk 90% of the time. I love pizza and burgers and am a very picky eater - don't eat many veggies, no seafood. I just hit my goal just yesterday losing 60 big ones. I will tell you I did eat still probably average 1 burger ever two weeks and would enjoy pizza every now and again. I will tell you pizza is a heavy food so don't eat it near your weigh in days. Just eat these things in moderation and/or save them for the weekend as rewards for being good (diet and exercise) during the week.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I still eat pizza, burgers, Taco Bell, ice cream, etc. I just don't overeat it. I go for the smaller portions and more reasonable choices. Lots of ice creams are 150 cals or less per serving, and lots of them have a good bit of protein. In the 1950s, burger patties were around 2 ounces, not half a pound, so I don't feel deprived getting the small burger. I might even have a small fry with it. As for pizza? I only order it when I have someone to share, or if I'm going to one of the more gourmet places that make individual thin crust or flatbread pizzas. Mellow Mushroom and Brixx rock, and half of one of their pizzas is a truly reasonable portion.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I find that subbing what I want to eat with "healthy" versions of things only makes me eat the "healthy" version and then go back for what I really wanted. I swap the fries (not a huge fan) for a salad with dressing on the side, make sure that burger is as utterly rich and burgery as it can be and be sated.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had 2 x rump steak burgers, 2 x seeded buns, 2 x slices of cheese and 20g of BBQ sauce for dinner. I was looking forward to them all day and they fitted in to my daily calorie count. You need to eat what is right for you. They were as good as I thought they would be and my food diary is closed for today at a healthy 200 calories below daily target.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I had 2 x rump steak burgers, 2 x seeded buns, 2 x slices of cheese and 20g of BBQ sauce for dinner. I was looking forward to them all day and they fitted in to my daily calorie count. You need to eat what is right for you. They were as good as I thought they would be and my food diary is closed for today at a healthy 200 calories below daily target.

Sweet! I do think some of us have to be a bit more careful than that, though. You had 2400 calories to play with. Us smaller chics have about 1000 calories less to eat every day. So...we should only have one of those burgers ;-P
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food still. :) Pizza, McDonalds, the whole 9 yards. The key is sacrifice, though, to fit my macros. If I'm gonna have a Big Mac because I am going through a stressful breakup and barely eat any more (... like today!), then I need to be sure I have plenty of calories leftover by dinnertime to account for the Big Mac.

Not letting yourself eat stuff you enjoy might totally kill your confidence/willpower off and you'll end up on a binge. So just know your limits but don't count anything "out"!

PS: Boca burgers are delicious though. I love their spicy chicken!

PPS: Just watch your sodium. :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I ate nachos from taco bell yesterday. just not 20 tacos that I usually do.
    I would much rather have one slice of "real" pizza than a few slices of a substitution. but that's just me :smile:
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Why not do a mix? Eat your healthy versions most of the time and the regular versions when you can fit the calories in.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would much rather have one slice of "real" pizza than a few slices of a substitution. but that's just me :smile:

I looked at the Taco Bell nutrition facts earlier and was MORTIFIED that I used to put away at least 1500 calories without blinking there! What was I thinking!?
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    I think that is a good way to supplement, but you don't have to completely eliminate a food unless you are kind of a if I eat it once I will eat it all day every day type. If that is the case you may need to ween it out for awhile. But there is nothing wrong with a cheat meal every now and again.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I looked at the Taco Bell nutrition facts earlier and was MORTIFIED that I used to put away at least 1500 calories without blinking there! What was I thinking!?

oh I know! I could VERY EASILY eat a Mexican pizza, pintos & cheese (extra sauce) about 10 tacos, nachos, a burrito (no onion)...with a few pepsi's to wash it down. makes me sad for myself.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im just judging you on using chicken instead of pepperoni...tsk tsk
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I switched over to the kid portion, it's plenty. Adult portions have gotten way out of control.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good route to go eating somewhat of the same things just tweaking them to make it better. Although calories are what are going to lose you weight eating cleaner and healthier does have very good side benefits just health wise ^_^ always good to start early