Guys, you're killing me!

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My mother in law who is as dumb as a box of hammers always sends me texts that say "How much weight did you loose?" I just ignore her because it makes me so crazy!!!!
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I did see a post a while back saying that the reason they were using loose instead of lose is to give a visual image of loose clothing while losing weight. idk, some stuff bothers me, but I got to where I don't care anymore. Don't we all just text nowadays anyway?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Some others that drive me nuts (I don't think I've seen them here):

"once and a while" - it's "once IN A while"!!

AND

"I should of" - this is "I should HAVE"
  • nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Maybe the person has a learning disability and all you are doing is making fun of them. I'm beginning to remember why I hate posting on community boards.

I visit a LOT of message boards and frankly, way too many people have a problem with basic spelling and grammar skills. They don't all have a learning disability. Perhaps a small percentage do, but the majority were just never taught or didn't spend enough time reading while growing up and don't bother to learn as adults.

Yes you are right not all of them a learning disability but they do have a problem. It's not always a matter of just not bothering to learn as an adult. Even if it is not a disability there is no need to make a post just to make fun of them. If you would not want them to make a post just to make fun of your weight, then why would you make fun of a problem someone else is having.
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Ahhh!!! Now I'm going to spend all day at work reading these!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites to drive me up the was is the mispronunciation of "specific"......

i.e. "I have pacific problem with..." or "I have pacifically explained to you..."

WTF???

IT'S AN OCEAN.... :sad:
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    me thinks ya'all got a screw lose err loose err heck with it! :laugh:

ya'all are funny!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Haha this is brilliant. Although my fear of including a typo is almost preventing me from posting!
  • EspressoSipper
    Options
    and if you lose a lot of weight... it's A LOT, not alot!

I'm just saying... proper grammar is almost as important as physical fitness!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    While we're at it:

your = possessive
    you're = you are

their = possessive
    there = ie. over there; there are many ...etc..

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It drives me crazy!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Haha this is brilliant. Although my fear of including a typo is almost preventing me from posting!

I just laughed out loud at this!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Maybe the person has a learning disability and all you are doing is making fun of them. I'm beginning to remember why I hate posting on community boards.

I visit a LOT of message boards and frankly, way too many people have a problem with basic spelling and grammar skills. They don't all have a learning disability. Perhaps a small percentage do, but the majority were just never taught or didn't spend enough time reading while growing up and don't bother to learn as adults.

Yes you are right not all of them a learning disability but they do have a problem. It's not always a matter of just not bothering to learn as an adult. Even if it is not a disability there is no need to make a post just to make fun of them. If you would not want them to make a post just to make fun of your weight, then why would you make fun of a problem someone else is having.

I appreciate what you're saying. However, I think it's best that these common errors are pointed out so people can learn about these mistakes, stop making them and stop passing them on to others (such as their children for example), etc.
  • Rachelbab1230
    Options
    Ohhh the "pacific" thing drives me crazy!!!! I have gotten past the "loose" weight but how can you get "specific" to "pacific"?????? My husband's aunt also drives me crazy because she calls sheet rock, "sheek rock" and Tylenol, are you ready for this "TyGENOL"!!!! Good heavens.......
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with the OP more. Poor grammar drives me nuts and while some people may have a learning disability, I think the vast majority just honestly don't know any better. I would never make fun of anyone for that but I don't think there is anything wrong with correcting them and helping them learn the proper grammar.

That being said, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who put an apostrophe on something that is plural, not possessive:

guys - more than one guy
    guy's - one guy who owns something

I see that error in ads and articles all the time. I just shake my head.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is always getting on her sister for using "then" when she should be using "than", and vice versa. I don't know if she is doing it on purpose now, or if she just can't distinguish between the two.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Another favourite is "of" instead of 've....

for example

"I could of tried and should of learned to spell..."

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Awhile back ago I had a pretty bad brain injury.I cant remeber alot of things I learned in high school.I read alot but I make alot of mistakes still.It makes me all warm and fuzzy when people point out others mistakes.Does it make you feel better about yourself because thank you now im thinking back to everything ive posted.I think this sucks.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Another favourite is "of" instead of 've....

for example

"I could of tried and should of learned to spell..."

:sad: :sad: :sad:

So you know you just spelled favorite wrong right?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    What's even worse is if you're a Grammar Nazi like myself and your mother & stepfather spelled "Congratulations" like this "Congradulations". They were not born in another country, my GRANDPARENTS were born here, my great grandparents born here, but no....it's really embarrassing!!! That's not their only mistake either - - course it helps that I can't stand them but they are EMBARRASSING with their spelling errors - they should always use SPELL CHECK.