Starting tomorrow......again!

Need to lose at least 56lbs and need to get started now. Going to try and follow calorie count 1200kcals to start. Just waiting to receive book to follow but want to get going. I work full time and have 2 children so not a lot of time on my hands. I know I need to exercise. I need to stop my habit of losing some weight, starting to feel better and then falling off the wagon.
Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Not knowing anything about you... but seeing you say you need to lose 56+ pounds, I'd guess eating 1200 calories will not be enough. If you give some details (height, weight, activity level, approximate bodyfat percentage) I could run you some numbers. But typically 1200 calories is too low for a lot of people.. :flowerforyou:
  • Britney1110
    Britney1110 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you! I need to lose 43 pounds and (1200 calories). I'm curious as to which book you are referring too?
  • Bean333333
    Bean333333 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you for your reply.
    I popped my weight and height into myfitnesspal and it came up with 1200kcals. How do I calculate bodyfat%? Sorry for being a bit thick! ????
  • gkaye17
    gkaye17 Posts: 4 Member
    marypatmccue, I agree with the 1,200 calories. I have about 20 pounds to lose and the site calculated 1,200/day for me. I've lost 12 but it always seems that on the days where I surpass the 1,200, I lose more. Doesn't seem to matter what I put down for activity level or goal weight, it always tells me 1,200. I don't get it!
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    please do not start off at 1200 calories cos it is quite likely you will struggle to keep to it. I know I did. After a fortnight of it I almost gave up but read a few forum posts and changed my activity level to sedentary, made my goal a lb a week - ate back some of my exercise calories (didnt have a garmin then) and ended up nearly 5 stone lighter 14 months later. It takes a time to lose the weight we have put on over a length of time and if you can find a deficit that works rather than going for the most drastic and struggling, I would personally recommend that you do.

Best of luck with your journey :smile:
  • Bean333333
    I have ordered Anna Richardson's body blitz book. It looks like a lot of common sense and something that could be incorporated easily into the real World. I did quite a bit of research before I ordered it.
  • AmAnDuh77
    AmAnDuh77 Posts: 20 Member
    Starving yourself at 1200 cals will not result in the weight loss you want, that is, if you're looking for long term success! Food=fuel, your body needs it along with exercise
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    I have the same problem - starting then falling off the wagon. The best thing I've learned to do is not overwhelming myself. Start small, then build up to larger goals. I noticed with my own experience that when I started, I was on a 1,200 diet, exercising no less than 60 minutes a day, really making sure I was drinking my recommended water intake - it was so easy to get overwhelmed and give up. For me, it's better to make small goals that compile and eventually lead to an end goal. Currently, I'm working on hitting my calorie target every day. After I get comfortable with this, I'll be moving onto water, then incorporating 30 minutes of scheduled activity, and so forth.

Try taking things in steps. Eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not. Drink plenty of water, but don't obsess. Exercise isn't necessary right away - but it's extremely great for you to do.
  • newcreation43
    newcreation43 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Bean:

We are in this together. Starting over again as well and I find following the 1200 cal is best for me as well because it allows me to eat everything. So consider tomorrow the first day of the rest of your life. Do it for the babies. :) Get those sneakers, put them under your desk at work and use them during your lunch break for 30 minutes tomorrow or whatever time you have. At least by the time you get home in the evening you would have already done something for yourself. Pack your lunch bag while you count your calories. Do that at night so you can be prepared. We can certainly encourage each other if you like.

Fly. :)
  • marypatmccue
    Here are some useful links with loads of information. Honestly, if you don't plan on eating 1200 calories for the rest of your life, I wouldn't start now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

MFP is famous for the 1200 calorie, makes-you-cranky-tired-miserable, diet
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    please do not start off at 1200 calories cos it is quite likely you will struggle to keep to it. I know I did. After a fortnight of it I almost gave up but read a few forum posts and changed my activity level to sedentary, made my goal a lb a week - ate back some of my exercise calories (didnt have a garmin then) and ended up nearly 5 stone lighter 14 months later. It takes a time to lose the weight we have put on over a length of time and if you can find a deficit that works rather than going for the most drastic and struggling, I would personally recommend that you do.

Best of luck with your journey :smile:

I can't agree with this more.

The reason I gave up is because I was so strict on my intake and exercise that even though I looked better, I felt like crap. Also, I gained some of the weight back. I'd rather have slow and steady progress over the course of a year or so than drastic weight loss followed by binging and re-gaining the weight because my routine is too strict.
  • I need some help myself I need to loose just about the same 60 pounds. Im so ashamed Ive started on so many occasions and just lost the first ten only to fail over and over. Please Help
  • Bean333333
    I did input sedentary and 0 exercise and 1200kcals came up. I like exercise but having put this amount of weight on I feel uncomfortable. I'm sure a few of you will understand so i will be doing it at home for now.
  • marypatmccue
    I did input sedentary and 0 exercise and 1200kcals came up. I like exercise but having put this amount of weight on I feel uncomfortable. I'm sure a few of you will understand so i will be doing it at home for now.

I recommend you read and review the links I've given you. I may not have had 50+ pounds to lose, but I've lost over 20. 1200 is what is given to most women who come on this site/app..
  • Bean333333
    Thank you Marypatmccue! It's so kind of you to take the time to offer your support. Mary, what would I need to provide you with and can I do it via a private message?

To all of you, I am reading every response and taking in your wise words.
  • Bean333333
    That is probably a huge risk for me. I know what I've done before when I've tripped (got hungry and binged) and fallen.
  • marypatmccue
    Thank you Marypatmccue! It's so kind of you to take the time to offer your support. Mary, what would I need to provide you with and can I do it via a private message?

To all of you, I am reading every response and taking in your wise words.

You can PM me your height, weight, activity level, approximate body fat (which can be calculated by using fat2fit radio -- google that) age... I should be able to figure something out for you.

I firmly believe in IIFYM (if it fits your macros)... there are no "bad" foods in my eyes, you just have to work it in to your allotment for the day.
  • yup 1200 calorie diet will make you want to quit....eeek....and when you lose around 15 pounds you usually have to lower the calories again 60-100 to get the scale moving....so if you start so low....where ya' gonna go?

do anything ....walk around the block.....some online free fitness videos (fitnessblender or YOUTUBE)....just move.

move = you get to eat more food!!! YEAH!

Good luck to you and check out those links others have posted for you.
  • sm_lanning44
    sm_lanning44 Posts: 2 Member
    I have about 47 more lbs to lose, and I used sedentary/1 lb a week and I got 1430. However, I use that as a guideline to try to stay somewhat close to. If I go over a bit, I don't get too worried. I think your height and age also affects the results.

As long as my other nutrition is in line (protein/carbs/fats), then I'm fine with going over a bit on calories. Moderation is what counts in both food intake & exercise - don't overdo it in either thing and you'll be on your way.

Best of luck to you!
  • GirlyFrankie
    GirlyFrankie Posts: 16 Member
    So it seems that I'm in the same boat as you all, starting and stopping. While my plan is not the same as I plan on eating more like 1800 + calories a day. For me that would really cut off the weight. My problem is being consistent and finding ways to work in being mobile during a busy schedule. I can start tracking foods tomorrow, but the choices won't be the best since I'm tight on funds and won't be able to go to the grocery store until next weekend. In the meantime, I can watch my portion sizes. THe good thing is that I have a few motivating factors in my corner: My mom is getting married next year (either May or September 2015) so I have to be ready for dress fittings a the beginning of the year since she's being kind enough to make sure that I'm comfortable since I'm the largest girl. Also, I will be graduating from college in May and turning 30 in August. I'm thinking that if I take it slow and steady that I will be fine unlike in the past when I've done all or nothing.