New Insanity Thread

Options

Replies

• herewego85
    Options
    Just finished Day 2 of my second week. I am absolutely loving this workout. It is brutal, but I feel so good after I complete it. I am looking forward to seeing my results. We are supposed to check results every two weeks right?
  • pauldoxsee
    pauldoxsee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just finished Day 2 of my second week. I am absolutely loving this workout. It is brutal, but I feel so good after I complete it. I am looking forward to seeing my results. We are supposed to check results every two weeks right?

Take the fit test on days 15, 36, 50 & 63.
  • RevGillTC
    RevGillTC Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey Herewego,
    Paul's right - the fit test is written in to the schedule. However I'm also weighing myself once a week, and measuring every two - so depending on what you meant, you could be right!
    I also had a look at your food diary earlier (just cos I was a) curious and b) trying to put off doing some work!), and noticed you are only eating 1200 calories a day... according to the Insanity manual, you should be eating WAY more than that - or eating back at least 1/2 to 2/3rds of your exercise calories... A lot of people on this thread and others have made the same mistake and realised to their cost that their body just gave up after the initial reserves were burnt through. I know it is counter intuitive. For the first week on 1700 calories (Insanity calculates 1900!) I thought - there's no way I'm going to lose anything with this. I lost 2lb... I'm half way through week 2 and have lost a 1lb already, despite being TOTM (which usually means 2lb ON!) (Sorry for TMI folks! I'm sure you needed to know that ;-) )
    Do you check your average heart rate during the exercise? If so, it might be worth going to a web based heartrate calorie burn calculation site as I burn about 100 more calories than you each time. It probably is because I'm older, unfit and heavier, but worth checking, as I don't think in this case MFP really does Insanity justice (I enter it as Cardio Interval, but alter the calories according to the calculations based on my heart rate, not on what MFP estimates for duration and exertion level). That way, I eat 1700, and burn about 500 calories (walking the dog as well as Insanity). Which brings me to the magic 1200 number but with fuel in the tank for the workouts...
    This is purely based on interweb psuedo science and all of 2 week's browsing the threads and working out what my body is doing, but I can already see the results so something is working for me... However if 1200 is working for you then fab! Ignore me and my unsolicited advice ;-D

Thanks Paul for your encouragement - and well done on your workout. I'm so impressed that you do Yoga on your rest day too - I may try that this week. I'll have to dig out my old Gerri Halliwell Yoga videa (! - yes, it's that old!) or do Darcy's Pilates routine...

Anywho, this isn't getting any work done, plus I'm sitting in my workout clothes ready to press play again shortly, so I'd better finish up and get on.

Keep it going all!
  • pauldoxsee
    Options
    Completed insanity recovery week core cardio & balance 6/6. Last day of recovery tomorrow!. No kleenexes today!

60db5d05062ecc1b2b2dea2c48780979.jpg
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    I didn't press play yesterday...but it was my rest day so I took full advantage with doing nothing and now I'm so ready to press play after work today. Week 1, Month 1 complete...down about 2 lbs and I'm already feeling a bit tighter in my mid-section - did anyone else notice a difference too? Can't wait to see my results in a week when I measure and complete my first fit test comparison!
  • RevGillTC
    Options
    Well done Jennifer_Lynn! So glad you're raring to go! And well done on your loss - I also lost 2lb that first week and also can't wait till Sat when I can measure and see how much I've lost this week (1lb so far ;-) )
    Yea Paul! A no Kleenex day is good stuff indeed. And well done on completing the recovery week too - you'll really deserve your rest tomorrow.
  • jlwyatt93
    jlwyatt93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys (: it's always good to hear from someone else that they can see a difference, I'm still pushing play, today was core cardio and balance, day 4 of recovery week done! Hopefully month 2 will kick up my results a bit, everyone says month 2 is where the results are!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thanks RevGill!

JLWyatt - I hear you, I can't wait to see what the end of Month 1 will be like and then Month 2? I've heard that's where it kicks into high gear....keep pushing play, I want to see your results! (I'll be in my recovery week the week that you finish month 2) - I need to keep motivated!
  • herewego85
    Options
    Hey Herewego,
    Paul's right - the fit test is written in to the schedule. However I'm also weighing myself once a week, and measuring every two - so depending on what you meant, you could be right!
    I also had a look at your food diary earlier (just cos I was a) curious and b) trying to put off doing some work!), and noticed you are only eating 1200 calories a day... according to the Insanity manual, you should be eating WAY more than that - or eating back at least 1/2 to 2/3rds of your exercise calories... A lot of people on this thread and others have made the same mistake and realised to their cost that their body just gave up after the initial reserves were burnt through. I know it is counter intuitive. For the first week on 1700 calories (Insanity calculates 1900!) I thought - there's no way I'm going to lose anything with this. I lost 2lb... I'm half way through week 2 and have lost a 1lb already, despite being TOTM (which usually means 2lb ON!) (Sorry for TMI folks! I'm sure you needed to know that ;-) )
    Do you check your average heart rate during the exercise? If so, it might be worth going to a web based heartrate calorie burn calculation site as I burn about 100 more calories than you each time. It probably is because I'm older, unfit and heavier, but worth checking, as I don't think in this case MFP really does Insanity justice (I enter it as Cardio Interval, but alter the calories according to the calculations based on my heart rate, not on what MFP estimates for duration and exertion level). That way, I eat 1700, and burn about 500 calories (walking the dog as well as Insanity). Which brings me to the magic 1200 number but with fuel in the tank for the workouts...
    This is purely based on interweb psuedo science and all of 2 week's browsing the threads and working out what my body is doing, but I can already see the results so something is working for me... However if 1200 is working for you then fab! Ignore me and my unsolicited advice ;-D

Thanks Paul for your encouragement - and well done on your workout. I'm so impressed that you do Yoga on your rest day too - I may try that this week. I'll have to dig out my old Gerri Halliwell Yoga videa (! - yes, it's that old!) or do Darcy's Pilates routine...

Anywho, this isn't getting any work done, plus I'm sitting in my workout clothes ready to press play again shortly, so I'd better finish up and get on.

Keep it going all!

Thanks for all the great advice. I have been stalled at this weight for a few weeks. I know I have been told before that I should up my calories a bit. I am going to try and work on that. I am going to get a heart rate monitor so I can more accurately check my calorie burn. I log my Cardio Recovery Day as yoga as well. I saw that on another thread when I was trying to figure out how to log it. I added you as a friend and look forward to working with you. Thanks again!
  • nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Checking in with everyone on recovery day! WOW we have a lot of new people on this thread how exciting. Thanks for joining us everyone!!! Good luck on your insanity quest! Whether you're month 1 day 1, recovery week, or month 2, I'm glad everyone is here supporting each other. Well I'm half way through week 2 on month 2. I'm sick though so it's been some crummy workouts this week. As planned I went and saw my husband and ended up staying and extra day. When I came home, I got sick. It has turned into 8 days of complete crap food, WAY too many calories, definitely more in than out. I only missed 1 insanity day though and making up for it on Sunday rest day. The scale is definitely up a few lbs and I'm hoping it's not permanent but more water retention and all the salt fat foods I ate. Boooooo. Little discouraged. Measurements are up and I'm feeling down. Going to finish this week as good and as strong as I can being sick and tired. Next week starts new though, back to clean clean clean. I hope I didn't take too many steps back :( has anyone gone through a week of binge (food drinking lack of exercise) and was able to get that excess weight off quick? All I can do is try! I told my husband next time there won't be nearly as much bad foods, I'll cook instead lol. It was just nice not to have to food prep and eat what I want. I'm feeling terribly guilty though right now. Ugh! Anyways glad everyone is here supporting each other.
  • pauldoxsee
    Options
    Nicolette's back, yay! Water gain tends to go away quickly when you get back into the routine. Just get back to what was working before and your body will soon forgive you. I'm working off fat gain from the bulk phase of the Body Beast weight training program. Trying to cut fat without losing muscle gain is a bit tricky, but seems to be working.

Keep the daily chatter up everyone as its really helpful to both the givers and the receivers. Checking in everyday is almost as important as pressing play for achieving your goals. Speaking of goals, simply publicly articulating WHY you are doing insanity is extremely motivating too. Please post your goals if you haven't already done so.
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Just tomorrow's work out and I'm into recovery week! Big milestone for me to get through month 1. Still needing to take a couple of extra breaks during the DVDs, but no where near as many as when I started - minor changes in shape, but I'm definitely feeling fitter and stronger.
  • pauldoxsee
    Options
    Completed x3 yoga on my rest day. Insanity recovery week is over. Makes me sad. That said, it was actually my best yoga session ever. Every pose worked really well. Thank you insanity!

f1df81948becbd0899baa75ea9b314e3.jpg
  • jlwyatt93
    jlwyatt93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jennifer_Lynn I will definitely be posting my before and afters when I'm done with the programme, how are you finding it so far?

How many calories are people eating? I suspect my lack of dramatic results so far is due to not enough calories but I'm reluctant to up it incase I just start gaining weight?? I know my nutrition could be better/cleaner but I do always try to count calories me record everything I eat.. Has anyone else had stalled weightloss due to too little calories? It just seems crazy that you can stop losing weight from not eating enough if that makes sense..
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    JLWyatt...good, I'm glad you'll be posting some before & after's when you're done. I'm still finding it really good. I did my Month 1, Week 2 workout last night - Cardio Power & Resistance - and although I'm still having difficulties with the up/down/pushups and the walking pushups (partly due to my limited space to workout), I was able to make my way through a lot of the moves, much better than my last time with this video. Pretty inspiring to see how in just 1 week, you can see noticeable improvements in your endurance.

I'm eating between 1500-1600 calories. That might be a bit low but I feel satisfied after my meals. I'd like to get a heart rate monitor to confirm how many calories I'm burning so that's next on my list. With MFP's estimates on my excercise calories (I'm logging my workouts as circuit training), I'm netting around 1300 calories/day.

What about all of you?
  • RevGillTC
    Options
    Just tomorrow's work out and I'm into recovery week! Big milestone for me to get through month 1. Still needing to take a couple of extra breaks during the DVDs, but no where near as many as when I started - minor changes in shape, but I'm definitely feeling fitter and stronger.

Well done Benjinkan and Jennifer_Lynn!. It's great when you feel that progress is being made. I did Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs today. I was scared to go straight into the Abs routine as I was worried that it would be too much on the top of PC - but it really wasn't (they obviously do know what they are doing at Beach Body after all!). However... all those movements in the same position? MAN that hurts! No pain yet, but I'm expecting some DOMS tomorrow on my rest day - time to visit the Pilates DVD me thinks! And the fact that my legs felt really laden today - I guess they are finally buckling under the relentless cardio work. Still, what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. :-)
  • pauldoxsee
    Options
    I'm currently running at 1743. I was higher, but recent,y recalculated things and dropped it to this level. Since making the change I have started to see results. I use this calculator and find it works well if you follow instructions exactly.

http://theathleticrider.com/clean-eating-101/bmr-for-rider-fitness/
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    I'm currently running at 1743. I was higher, but recent,y recalculated things and dropped it to this level. Since making the change I have started to see results. I use this calculator and find it works well if you follow instructions exactly.

http://theathleticrider.com/clean-eating-101/bmr-for-rider-fitness/

Thanks for the link Paul!

Based on this, my BMR is 1593/day, multiply by 1.55 (moderately active) = 2469, subtract 500 for a deficit for 1 lbs/wk loss = 1969, or subtract 750 for a deficit of 1.5 lbs/wk loss = 1719.

So I'm guessing I should up my calories a bit then? What do you suggest? I'm 5'4, 149 lbs, looking to lose 15 lbs.
  • pauldoxsee
    Options
    Id just split the difference at 1700 Jennifer. When I was doing Body Beast, I learned what an amazing difference little 200 calorie swings could make. The thing people don't realize is that these calorie targets need to be regularly readjusted as your body changes. I also have found that the MFP calculators tend to be too light for people working out on these Beachbody programs. The calculator you just used seems to work well. Oh one more thing. With this calculator that is your calorie target. Period. Ignore the MFP net calories calculations.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Id just split the difference at 1700 Jennifer. When I was doing Body Beast, I learned what an amazing difference little 200 calorie swings could make. The thing people don't realize is that these calorie targets need to be regularly readjusted as your body changes. I also have found that the MFP calculators tend to be too light for people working out on these Beachbody programs. The calculator you just used seems to work well. Oh one more thing. With this calculator that is your calorie target. Period. Ignore the MFP net calories calculations.

Okay great, thanks Paul. Will look to up my calories towards 1700 and see how I do. Much appreciated for your input.