5'8 with large frame---how much should I weigh??

Options

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I'm aiming for around 140. I remember being 145 and it felt good there, so that's my goal. BUT, if I hit 150 and I'm feeling fine and dandy then I have no issues with stopping there. Ultimately I'd like to be fit and healthy. If I can do that around 160, 150, or 140 then that's fine with me and the scale doesn't factor in that much. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Going by BMI, a healthy weight range is 125 - 160, so if you're built large it's probably reasonable to make 160 your initial goal.
    See how you feel once you're there; maybe you'll like it, maybe you'll want to be another 10 lb down, or maybe you could add weightlifting (even just body weight workouts) & tone up & really look/feel great right at the top of a healthy weight range.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
  • TheDingBat
    Options
    Im a large frame 5'8. I have a goal of 160lbs. I try to eat 1300-1500 calories a day and exercise 30-60 min a day. The scales aint movin much. I was wondering if anyone else with my body type has this kind of trouble. Will my legs and butt ever get smaller...lol??
    Any tips on getting this last 20 lbs off??

I can only speak to the legs and butt. I'm 5' 5.5" with a largish frame. I wanted to get down 30lbs but ended up dropping 40lbs. Great, right? I had hoped that my butt and saddlebags would go away when I dropped the weight. While they are smaller, I don't think they'll ever really go away, they just scale to the rest of my body. On the bright side, with the rest of that weight gone, my butt is now a booty and I love it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    my wrist measurement is over 6.5 inches but not quite 6 3/4.

just measured mine and i am the same. i have almost given up weighing myself i have been stuck at the same spot for ages. I am quite happy were i am just would like to tighten up a few areas.

i second the fitness blender website.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm a large frame 5'8. I have a goal of 160lbs.
    I try to eat 1300-1500 calories a day and exercise 30-60 min a day. The scales ain't movin' much.
    ... Will my legs and butt ever get smaller...lol??
    Any tips on getting this last 20 lbs off??
    Your calories are OK, maybe a bit low, but not bad. My doctor & dietician told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight. But if you're not seeing weight loss (or measurement shrinkage) at a consistent 1500, aim for 1450.
    That's _total_ calories. Don't eat back exercise calories! Most people underestimate what they eat, & most calculators overestimate what you burn.

The last 20 lb are going to be slow. If you see 0.5 lb per week, that's a victory.
    Be consistent & persistent, control calories in, and you'll eventually get there.
    Have you tried incorporating intervals? I started doing 30 sec at high speed every 5 minutes, now I'm up to 45 sec every other minute. (For example, 2:00 - 2:45, 4:00 - 4:45, etc.)
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The wrist measurement threw me off so I googled it. ;0) This one tells you going by your wrist measurement, what your frame is determined as and has a weight chart.

http://www.diet-blog.com/12/true-frame-size.php
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    You should weigh whatever you feel comfortable at… within reason. BMI isn't exactly as credited nowadays, but using it anyway then you'd be at the higher end of your healthy range at 160 lbs. There's nothing wrong with that - it's still healthy - but I was always told the best BMI was to try and ideally be between 20 and 22.5 or thereabouts. Admittedly, 160 also sounds a little much to me even taking into account your height.

I'm large framed too (although shorter) and that just means in order to look how I want to look I have to weigh slightly less than other girls of my age and height in order to look similar to them. Even then I'd still have chunkier legs and bigger shoulders than them. If you don't want to look thin (in a good way, not an ill way) or slim or anything like that, perhaps 160 is perfectly fine for you.

I would, however, think 140-150 would be a healthier weight. Like I said, being large framed I know from experience it takes more weight to notice more of a difference in things like leg size. You say you want thinner legs, which means you might need to go a little lower than 160 I'm afraid.

Having said that, I stress not to get too hung up on the number, and more on how you look. Once you reach a good look, you have your perfect number.
  • laura100286
    Options
    last 20 has been the hardest for me. i am 6'0 with a muscular frame. i am aiming for 165-170. lets be buddies and get these last 20 off together!!! haha :)
  • klkwak529
    klkwak529 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you should measure your body fat percentage. That would be a more accurate measure than a number on the scale especially if you have a large frame.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal is 165, but not really stressing about the number on the scale. My wrist is 7" now at 180 lbs and it was 7" when I was 204 lbs. I have a large frame. I carry weight very evenly. I'm just trying to lower my body fat to see all my muscles. Whatever the scale lands on when that's accomplished is cool with me.

This is the same for me.
  • porterparkermom
    Options
    I love your answer:wink:
  • maryyatti
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Drink water. Best advice though: would be to get a physical and blood workup to assure that you don't have any health issues. I too am 5'8, and the stats suggest I should weigh around 140.... My doctor advises that 160 is a good goal. I'm 25 lbs. away.

Good luck. :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I just hit 160 today. I *think* my original weight was around 190 but I'm not sure because the scale terrified me and I didn't step on it until I had been doing this for some time.

Anyway, I took a before and now (I won't say after because I'm not finished yet) picture today. It's my profile pic. The picture on the left is me about a month into the calorie counting. The picture on the right is me today.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree. I thought I had a large frame until I lost a lot of weight. It seemed like I had big bones and even my wrist was big and seemed like it was mostly bone. Everything got smaller after losing wieght and I realized I do not have a large frame.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and about 160 now, and I can say that these last 20 lbs were tough tough tough! It gets harder the further you go, so just be patient and try to focus on your fitness and nutrition goals. Set weekly or monthly goals for yourself and just be as consistent as possible.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    <~~~~ shameless posting. 5'71/2 , 150 pounds the day this pic was taken. Of course there's angles and lighting, but I feel like 140 - 150 is a good weight for me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'8" and yes my initial weight loss goal is 160lbs. I'm about 3 pounds away at this point and am debating whether I want to drop another five from my goal or stay where I'm at and attempt a recomp. Food and exercise wise, I lift heavy four days a week on a upper/lower split and eat around 2500 calories a day (TDEE so that's total). The pic of me on the right is at about 166lbs so I've knocked a couple off since that photo was taken.

8b6829e13003c149d1048522ce25882d1441.jpg

A note about the whole frame size etc. My wrists are only six inches and my feet are tiny, but my shoulders are broad and I have a barrel for a rib cage. Even those general estimates can be wonky for some people.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 199 in my current pics. 180 is my goal and then after that focusing on aesthetic goals no matter what the weight ends up being.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I would like to add though, and at least this does apply in my case, that I did like ONE thing Dr. Oz said: (if you were a healthy weight in your high school/ college days) make your goal to be the same weight you were in your late teens early twenties.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I would like to add though, and at least this does apply in my case, that I did like ONE thing Dr. Oz said: (if you were a healthy weight in your high school/ college days) make your goal to be the same weight you were in your late teens early twenties.

I'm shooting for this also.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!