Joining my first gym...advice?

Options
Hello Everyone,

So here's the deal, I am a complete newbie when it comes to actually exercising via equipment. I've lost weight in the past (around 69lbs), but it was always just eating better and walking more. Now I actually want to join a gym, get in shape, and gain muscle. Problem is, I am absolutely clueless. Walking into a gym for me is like watching a scared puppy venture onto an alien planets surface. I am pretty sure my utter lack of knowledge when it comes to the machines, how to use them, and proper form, is obvious to any onlooker. I think the other hard part for me is I have anxiety issues, so I get very nervous when around new people in strange places (that is also going to be a big hurdle for me.) I have tried looking up things online, but a lot of the terminology and names of things go way over my head. But anyway, here's my question: When you started off brand new to working out with equipment in a public gym, what is a piece of advice you wish someone had given you beforehand?

Much appreciated!

Replies

• MarkSharkk
    MarkSharkk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "This is for your (-insert body part here-) here, right?" It's what I used to ask whenever I was clueless on how to operate something, lol. I personally have found that Gold's Gym (while it does have the big dudes and dudettes) is a great gym to go if you can find some chill people willing to help and lecture you on proper form and an ideal weight, and how to use the equipment. But really, almost any gym has at least one helpful person. I recommend first knowing what you are using, or at least what it is for (ex. squat rack for squatting, legs, abs, glutes, or bench for bench press, shoulders, chest, arms) and an ideal weight for your strength and experience level. One thing I would always do , which I completely advice against is use the same amount of weight as the person before you (if they are about your size). Start off with just the bar, or lowest setting if on a cardio machine. Go slow, and focus on doing stuff clean if you feel that you can (it pays off to lift clean early on) and use proper form. The last thing you want is to be out of action for 5 weeks due to an injury which could have been easily avoided...I hope this advice helps in any way, because honestly, I think I typed this up in a somewhat confusing arrangement...To put it simply, know what you are using, know what it is for, use proper form, and start off easy. And ask questions! Don't be afraid to ask people around you, make friends, the gym is a great place to build relationships and craft the body you want! And the nervousness will soon pass with social interaction. I was nervous too at first, but now I thrive in socializing in the gym :)
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. Exactly. I just joined a gym again because I REALLY need it, and I think the most helpful thing is to just have the trainer show you everything the first time -- how to use the machines, what to do when, etc -- because then you can get it in your head that you have "a routine" and you go through it A-B-C and it's not so intimidating to go in there. So that's a start.

And then if you forgot how to do something, which you will ... well, being a dork in public is OK. That's one of those Great Secrets of Life that We The Elders get let in on over time, and then we think, "oh sheesh, why did I spend so much time being worried I was looking like a dork, when in fact EVERYONE think they're a dork inside and honestly it's just kind of funny." So what if you look clueless at a gym? It gives you a chance to grin sheepishly at someone and laugh and say, "Geez I am so clueless about this, is it an IQ test and I'm failing or what?" And they'll laugh (because secretly that's how they feel half the time), and they'll help you and then they'll know your name and next time you can say "hi" while you try to remember what they said about that weight adjustment thingy.

So that's my advice. Incidentally, equipment is wonderful. Because you can do it after the cardio stuff and relax while still feeling like you're exercising, and then after a while you'll actually be semi-toned, but you didn't have to sweat too much or actually work too hard. Quite a good deal, really :-)
  • Choboman
    Choboman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Everybody was brand new sometime, and in my experience most of the guys and girls there are pretty supportive. The ones that might come across as tacturn at first might just be worried about looking like creepers or cheesey pick-up guys. Most of those places have resident trainers who can advise you on a good set of exercises to start with, but one of the best ways to make new friends at the gym is to just say "Hey I'm new here - can you show me how to use this?".
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First, the gym is not full of people who care about or are interested in you.

Second, everyone has a first time. You are not unique in this regard. Every day, they have someone who has to shown the machines. You're one of many, many people who have been shown.

So, even if the gym was full of onlookers who were interested in you, you wouldn't be doing anything they hadn't seen 5,000 times before.

Those people don't care about you, so why care about them.

Get over yourself. Just go with the flow. Enjoy it all.

You'll do fine.
  • PeterStef003
    Options
    I agree with the other comments about being shown how to use the equipment properly is important. I suppose each gym may be slightly different in how they do things but at mine, you can arrange for one of the gym fitness instructors to work out a fitness program for you depending what you want to do, especially if you want to use weights as part of your training. The reason for this is if you don't choose the correct weight to use for each muscle group, the weight training will either be a complete waste of time or, you seriously injure yourself. At my gym,after about a month you can then have a 're-focus' session with an instructor who will assess how you are getting on and make adjustments accordingly. For me, this comes as part of my membership package and therefore no additional payment. I'm quite pleased with the result especially because I know nothing about how to get the best out of fitness training. If this facility is offered at your gym, I recommend you take up the offer.

Good Luck

Peter
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So here's the deal, I am a complete newbie when it comes to actually exercising via equipment. I've lost weight in the past (around 69lbs), but it was always just eating better and walking more. Now I actually want to join a gym, get in shape, and gain muscle. Problem is, I am absolutely clueless. Walking into a gym for me is like watching a scared puppy venture onto an alien planets surface. I am pretty sure my utter lack of knowledge when it comes to the machines, how to use them, and proper form, is obvious to any onlooker. I think the other hard part for me is I have anxiety issues, so I get very nervous when around new people in strange places (that is also going to be a big hurdle for me.) I have tried looking up things online, but a lot of the terminology and names of things go way over my head. But anyway, here's my question: When you started off brand new to working out with equipment in a public gym, what is a piece of advice you wish someone had given you beforehand?

Much appreciated!

Join a gym that has a good free weights section (not planet fitness)
    Have a trainer walk you through the free weights section, showing you how to do the various exercises
    keep a log of your progress
    rack your weights when done
    wipe down benches/seats when done
    wash your hands after you finish your workout
    don't be afraid to ask someone for a spot or advice if you are unsure
    train hard, don't half-@$$ it
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Actually it is good that you have never worked out in a gym before. That means you have no bad habits to start with. My advice:
    1) Get an assessment done by a good physical therapist to see if you have any mobility/muscle balance issues you should take care of.
    2) Find a good trainer (preferably someone with a powerlifting background) to get you started off right.

That will help you build a great foundation and keep you joints healthy long term.
  • MontanaDee
    MontanaDee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on joining a gym! The previous comments are very good and quite true. Focus on you; if you start to feel self conscious, remember: you have to start somewhere! Challenge yourself from day to day, week to week. Focus on what you CAN do...not what you can't do. Take pictures/measurements when you start and month to month. And don't go gung ho right out the gate, rather pace yourself. This way you prevent injuries, and thus discouragement. Slow and steady wins the race! Go get em!
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Some great advice listed above

Below are my big 4:
    #1 Sore vs. pain: There is a big difference between sore and pain. If you feel a twinge or pop that isn't a good thing. Fatigue and not being able to finish a set/ rep is one thing but a twinge or pop is entirely different.

#2 Have fun. We are doing this to improve not because we have to. It isn't punishment and shouldn't be viewed as such. At least I know I typically don't ask for more punishment.

#3 Set realistic goals: Set goals that fit your time schedule, physical abilities and mental mind set. Shooting for goals and reaching them adds to the challenge.

#4 Not all gym days are fun days: There will be days when the last thing you want to do is go to the gym. Fight thru that feeling. The "I don't wanta go days" start adding up and next thing you know you aren't going to the gym at all. Some of the best work outs I have ever had have been on those days.

Get with a trainer even if you have to pay for a few sessions. You need to be shown and told several things. Such as:
    Proper form: Critical to protecting your body from injury and gains
    Appropriate weight to start with: Again protecting your body and seeing gains
    Sets/ reps: How many sets & repetitions to perform, ditto the above two
    Don't be afraid to ask for help: 99.9% of gym goers will be more than glad to assist you if you ask.

Gym etiquette (makes you an instant hit with other gym goers :wink: )
    * Wipe down the equipment when you are done.
    * Don't sit and chat on equipment
    * Leave the cell phone in the car
    * Re-rack your weights.
    * If you do have a chat, keep the volume down. Not all of the gym goes wear headphones.

Never be intimidated by others. We all started somewhere.
    Work out buddies are a good thing.... if you have the same goals.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that p_emmel5 said except for this, because although 99.9% of gym goers will be help if you ask, only 0.1% know what they are talking about. So be leery who you get your help from.

Don't be afraid to ask for help: 99.9% of gym goers will be more than glad to assist you if you ask.

• gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    The only times I really notice the other people are when gym etiquette rules are being blatantly broken... don't talk on a cell phone super loud, don't relax on a bench in the free weights checking your Facebook, don't chat with anyone while they're lifting or doing any intense cardio/workouts, etc.

My biggest piece of advice is take group classes!! If you're going to a good gym, these will very likely be taught by personal trainers or people with a lot of experience.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Joining a gym is kind of like the first day of prison. You've got to take down the biggest guy there. I kid, I kid....sort of.
    It's cool if you don't have a routine or even a clue as to what you're doing. Watch people. Absorb their methods. Observe different areas of the gym: free weights, machines, cardio, TRX, the possibilities are infinite. I workout 4 days a week: 2 upper body days(shoulders/triceps), (back/biceps), and 2 lower body days (legs/*kitten*), (*kitten*/legs/abs). Watch youtube videos, ask a trainer, etc. Good luck!
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    try your local YMCA....that's what I did....from there as part of our membership we worked out with a personal trainer for free....learned the machines and she set us up on a routine for what we wanted....they also have classes for spinning, swimming...water aerobics ..etc...and its a great place to meet others who are also starting ....its one place that offers everything under one roof.....we toured the facility and asked a lot of questions before joining....and the good thing, their fees are based on a sliding scale according to your income and have plans for singles...............good luck to you......:smile::flowerforyou:
  • ThatOneNerdyChick
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone for all the great advice! I feel a lot less awkward now. I will definitely consult a physical trainer about the proper way of doing things. I think the fact I don't have a set routine is what would've made it more daunting for me. If I go in I want to know exactly what I am there to do and get done. So I will ask about what exercises are good for what, what days to do them, how long to workout, reps/set numbers, and the proper weights for someone like me. The idea of classes is a great one too, along with being observant and watching others, and not feeling bad about asking for help. I feel a lot less anxious when I have a direction. Like one poster said "A,B, than C." The advice on what not to do was very helpful too, I will be sure to be a courteous gym goer. :)

Thanks again for all the awesome advice!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Use the gym staff. Get a body assessment. All the people walking around with staff shirts on, they are there to work. If you have questions about a machine, find one of them and ask. I have been in and out of gyms for the past 20 years and just today I asked for assistance on watching my dead lift form. It had been awhile since I had performed dead lifts and I wanted to insure I was in correct form and to prevent an injury. You know what was funny, everyone around me stopped and listened and watched the guy perform perfect dead lifts and critique my form. They were just as interested as I was to see proper technique and pointers. Don't be afraid to ask a certified trainer for advice.

After you get yourself familiar with the gym, find a good program. Follow it for the set amount of weeks and then start a new one. This helps to prevent boredom and gives you something new to look forward to everyday. It also keeps you motivated.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have a workout plan before you hit the gym. Educate yourself via youtube on proper form and technique. While watching youtube make sure not to use JoeShcmoe's advicve, find someone with the frame your looking for. I find that majority of the time the staff have no clue of certain workouts or form. I say form is most important and wish someone would've told me when I started and had to find out the hard way through injuries. Good luck!!