The idea of Cheat Days doesn't make sense...

Options

Replies

• 4HBGladu
    4HBGladu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I did the 4 hour body to lose over 100 lbs, the cheat days are what kept me going. By cheat DAY, I mean epic 4000-6000 calorie days. Usually the cheat day bloat left after 3-4 days and still lost weight weekly. But the smaller I got, those cheat days sometimes did not come off. So like with anything you do to lose weight, you need to adust your calories/macros etc as you drop weight.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Once you realise that food is a fuel, not a hobby, once you've broken that emotional connection to food (I've been good I'm going to have some oreos as a reward), you will no longer feel the need to "cheat".

I can honestly say I look at a big mac, or a piece of cake, or a can of Coke and go "yuck" when I think about what's in it, how it will make me feel etc. I don't even see these things as food anymore.

I don't think we could be friends.

I'm so over the attitude that being a healthy weight requires one to consider food as nothing but "fuel" - that's bull$hit. Food is social. Preparing it is a hobby, an experiment, a delight for many. Serving food we prepare to those we care for is an act of love as old as humankind. And most of all, food is good. I derive a good deal of joy from a beautifully-prepared meal. Food delights me, comforts me, reminds me of places I've been and people I've shared a meal with. Food is nostalgia and community. I've been in some of the poorest villages in the world, and what did they offer me when I arrived? Food. We didn't share a language, but we communicated through smiles as we ate together.

Food is only fuel? Ha. Look at your healthy friends - do they enjoy eating? The only friend I have who does not, who regards food as fuel and looks down on us mere mortals who actually enjoy a slice of cake, has been battling anorexia since she was 13. My friends who are a healthy weight (and always have been) are among the greatest lovers of good food I know.

As I lost weight, and as I maintain (2 years now), I did not break any emotional chain to food. Instead, I learned to respect the emotional connection and remove the shame you and others with your attitude project on something that keeps us alive but also has the potential to bring us happiness. I don't eat to soothe emotions or cure boredom like I used to; these days my life is way too full to need food to fill that void. I certainly learned more about food as fuel, and if you speak to me when I'm training for a race, you'll see that my meals are planned more for performance than anything else.

But to deny that food tastes good and has a purpose for human beings beyond mere fuel is, in my opinion, sad.

"People who love to eat are always the best people."
    -Julia Child

bQOgOqi.gif

Yeah seriously wow well said. That's pretty much how I feel about it too. i don't think I could have said it better though.

Why thank you.

EricBowing234.gif
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think that what the OP is getting at is that referring to your eating habits as "cheating," "bad," etc. implies that you are going through some type of hardship that will last your entire life, which is more miserable than cultivating new habits that result in you being flexible with what you're eating while still maintaining your desired weight/body composition.

Of course we cannot eat whatever we want in whatever our desired quantities are, but we can factor what we want into our calories/macros. We can add additional activity. We can eat more on one day and balance it out on others. The difference is that some people call it "cheating" and some people call it "living."

I think that those of us in the "living" group have a hard time understanding why people want to put negative labels on the behavior that pretty much everyone who is successful is doing. I also think that it can get frustrating to keep seeing it come up over and over again, and it really does seem like a lot of the people in the "cheat" camp have regained weight and are re-losing it. (And are super quick to point out that they've lost weight before so they know how to do it.) Yes, many of us have lost weight before and gained it back. We need to learn from those experiences.

I used to be a food "cheater," and look how that worked out for me. This time around things have been ridiculously easy. I feel like I've found the secrets of the universe, lol. I honestly don't know how I wasn't living like this always. I go out to eat with my hubby, eat when I'm hungry, make room for treats, etc. Some of the foods I eat now are better than what I had before so they don't have as many calories, but I'm enjoying what I eat. We owe it to ourselves to make this change pleasant and satisfying, even if that takes some people a little longer than others. That's what makes it sustainable over time. And this is why some people get all cray-cray when people bring up cheat meals.

I am with you 100%. This is how I feel about everything.

To each their own though, everyone seems to have a different feeling :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I always want to ask when I see threads about cheat days, "who are you cheating?".

Not to say my diet is perfect, far from it. But I'm not cheating myself or cheating on my diet. Indulgences are just a part of the balance I strive to create on my path towards a healthy and happy life.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    For me, I'll have a cheat meal, typically an event, and plan ahead with some extra exercise and/or greater deficit. Then I enjoy, largely guilt free.
    That sounds like being mindful and planning ahead. You're not cheating, you're working within sensible guidelines.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't ever feel like I'm technically "cheating." There are meals or days where I go over, but I don't consider it bad. I have those days when I'm hungrier than usual, and I take it as a sign that I should eat more. It doesn't happen often, and I'm not usually over by much. That said, I'd never actually plan a day to cheat (as in all Saturdays I eat whatever I want without restraint).
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, O.P. here...

Thanks for contributing to a great discussion.

I think I've learned that the idea of a "Cheat Day" or a "Cheat Meal" is largely a psychology tool that adds some humanity to a system that sometimes can seem austere and strict. Some are "cheating" to plan ahead for a special meal or day, others to forgive an unplanned excursion from their plan, and others to justify an otherwise guilty pleasure.

All of this makes sense to me.

Thanks for the input!
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define cheat day (eat to BMR, eat anything you want, eat out of banked weekly calories, etc). For most a cheat day is something to "boost" metabolism (I don't entirely believe that), enjoy some day or event (birthday, fair, game, etc), or a psychological outlet to vent any foodie desires that would ruin their work if they did it everyday.

I don't always have a "cheat day" (what I do for diet and exercise changes through the year), but currently it's college football time so I usually eat more on Saturday. But I exercise through the week and on Saturday to minimize the damage and build up a bank of calories, so that I'm still usually ~2500 calories under my weekly goal.

In the end it's all calories and one day it isn't going to make or break you. That's why I focus on my daily calorie goals as part of my weekly goal.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Once you realise that food is a fuel, not a hobby, once you've broken that emotional connection to food (I've been good I'm going to have some oreos as a reward), you will no longer feel the need to "cheat".

I can honestly say I look at a big mac, or a piece of cake, or a can of Coke and go "yuck" when I think about what's in it, how it will make me feel etc. I don't even see these things as food anymore.

I'm so over the attitude that being a healthy weight requires one to consider food as nothing but "fuel" - that's bull$hit. Food is social. Preparing it is a hobby, an experiment, a delight for many. Serving food we prepare to those we care for is an act of love as old as humankind. And most of all, food is good. I derive a good deal of joy from a beautifully-prepared meal. Food delights me, comforts me, reminds me of places I've been and people I've shared a meal with. Food is nostalgia and community. I've been in some of the poorest villages in the world, and what did they offer me when I arrived? Food. We didn't share a language, but we communicated through smiles as we ate together.

Food is only fuel? Ha. Look at your healthy friends - do they enjoy eating? The only friend I have who does not, who regards food as fuel and looks down on us mere mortals who actually enjoy a slice of cake, has been battling anorexia since she was 13. My friends who are a healthy weight (and always have been) are among the greatest lovers of good food I know.

As I lost weight, and as I maintain (2 years now), I did not break any emotional chain to food. Instead, I learned to respect the emotional connection and remove the shame you and others with your attitude project on something that keeps us alive but also has the potential to bring us happiness. I don't eat to soothe emotions or cure boredom like I used to; these days my life is way too full to need food to fill that void. I certainly learned more about food as fuel, and if you speak to me when I'm training for a race, you'll see that my meals are planned more for performance than anything else.

But to deny that food tastes good and has a purpose for human beings beyond mere fuel is, in my opinion, sad.

-Julia Child

bQOgOqi.gif

Word to your mother. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    honestly if i didnt cheat twice a month i would have gone crazy. sadly im still the 560lb+ guy at heart, but im much lighter now 360+ guy and im more aware.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, O.P. here...

Thanks for contributing to a great discussion.

I think I've learned that the idea of a "Cheat Day" or a "Cheat Meal" is largely a psychology tool that adds some humanity to a system that sometimes can seem austere and strict. Some are "cheating" to plan ahead for a special meal or day, others to forgive an unplanned excursion from their plan, and others to justify an otherwise guilty pleasure.

All of this makes sense to me.

Thanks for the input!

Thank YOU for being a gracious OP! Those are hard to come by these days. You're the real MVP. ;)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

-Julia Child

best-post-award_by-wasakanet.png~c200

That's fine, I don't need to be friends with you.

I'm not disputing the ritual around food, I come from a big european family, I appreciate the social aspect of a meal. I'm also a great cook, and love to do so. I love a big steak and a glass of wine. I do however see no value in putting crap into my body that is going to make me feel terrible, and contribute to ill health later on. I don't see high sugar, highly processed, nutritionally absent rubbish as a "reward" or a "pleasure". But that's just me.

And if my opnion on this topic "projects shame" onto you, then that says more about you than me. Sounds like you still have some unresolved issues. Your right to eat whatever you want does not project shame onto me, I couldn't care less.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cheat days work for tons of people, including myself. It is just part of a lifestyle change for us. :)
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I was first starting out (January of this year) I needed that cheat day to keep going, but as I am losing and feeling better every day I don't think about it as much. I also realize how bad I feel the day after a cheat day and it makes me not need it as much.

Weight loss is such a mind game!

^^ This +1
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cheat implies you're doing something wrong. I eat whatever I was so long as it fits my macros.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

-Julia Child

best-post-award_by-wasakanet.png~c200

That's fine, I don't need to be friends with you.

I'm not disputing the ritual around food, I come from a big european family, I appreciate the social aspect of a meal. I'm also a great cook, and love to do so. I love a big steak and a glass of wine. I do however see no value in putting crap into my body that is going to make me feel terrible, and contribute to ill health later on. I don't see high sugar, highly processed, nutritionally absent rubbish as a "reward" or a "pleasure". But that's just me.

And if my opnion on this topic "projects shame" onto you, then that says more about you than me. Sounds like you still have some unresolved issues. Your right to eat whatever you want does not project shame onto me, I couldn't care less.

To be honest sounds like your the one that has issues to me. There's no projection of shame. Neither this poster nor any of the people who agree with her are ashamed of how they eat. You just think we are. And that's your problem.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i hear ya OP!
    if i dont restrict anything, then cheat days are totally unnecessary.

#IIFYM4LYFE
    This. If you have to "cheat" then your diet is not sustainable

Totally disagree... Not everyone has to do it YOUR way to be successful. Shocking, I know...
  • satisfyingmyinnerfatkid
    Options
    I don't have cheat days.. I just can't deprive myself.. did that once on the Atkin's diet.. refuse to ever do it again. For the past two years on my weight loss journey, I've been learning how to eat healthy or at least make healthier choices for meal times. That being said I do get into weird funks of eating McDonald's everyday. It's not healthy.. but it produces weight loss for me thanks to MFP lol
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options

-Julia Child

bQOgOqi.gif

Yeah seriously wow well said. That's pretty much how I feel about it too. i don't think I could have said it better though.

Adding myself to the posters who agreed whole heartedly with this post - I was reading thread from beginning and came across post which you quoted - was going to respond but I see you have beaten me to it and siad it better than I could.

Zealots who compare enjoying an oreo to haveing a hit of meth (in full post by quoted poster) or who 'no longer see a piece of cake as food' have a lot to learn.