Eating Clean

Options
As most of you, I had in my mind my highest weight ever, it's been the same highest weight ever for 10 years. You know, that number that you never go over. Then this past couple of years, that highest weight ever is now 30 lbs more. And I'm thinking WTF?

I have to get healthy. That's what this is about for me. I'm doing so much damage to my body with food. It stops now - well, 5 days ago actually. Would like some support if you're up for it!

Add away! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    add me if ya like
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Add me as well! I make most of my own food, follow a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet and will gladly share recipes, tips and tricks with you! Start small with manageable steps and you got this. Slow and steady wins this race. Be prepared for people on here to say that eating clean doesn't matter. I strongly believe it does. Taking out the sugar, preservatives and chemicals greatly improves our overall health which helps us sleep better, be in less pain, have the ability to make better choices as we aren't craving bad stuff all the time which leads to weight loss. Great job taking the first step!!!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I eat clean. I always wash my food before I eat it!
    No really, though. I eat what fits into my macros. So anything goes! Add me if you would like; though I warn you, ice cream, chips, and pizza tend to make appearances! But I do eat a lot of veggies and fruits as well, if that's what you'd like to see. :) I like to balance everything.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Add me as well! I make most of my own food, follow a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet and will gladly share recipes, tips and tricks with you! Start small with manageable steps and you got this. Slow and steady wins this race. Be prepared for people on here to say that eating clean doesn't matter. I strongly believe it does. Taking out the sugar, preservatives and chemicals greatly improves our overall health which helps us sleep better, be in less pain, have the ability to make better choices as we aren't craving bad stuff all the time which leads to weight loss. Great job taking the first step!!!

Definitely seconding this! I make a lot of recipes at home as well, and am always open to sharing. :)
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I say eating clean is more important then working out. Anyone can lift a weight but someone thats dedicated, eats healthy.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I say eating clean is more important then working out. Anyone can lift a weight but someone thats dedicated, eats healthy.

Healthy eating aid work outs. Diet is more important than weight training. All the gains can be void with a poor diet.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree, eating right, consistently, is more difficult then following a workout routine.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I agree, eating right, consistently, is more difficult then following a workout routine.

Ya'll need to do Zumba then. Now that's a workout routine anyone can follow. :drinker:
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have no need to zumba lol...
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just broke a sweat cleaning my dinner.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • yopeeps025
    Options

zumba-o.gif
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    80% of the battle is clean eating. Add me
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to friend me, follow my diary, join in chit chat with me on 3FC pals group.

I am a successful dieter following whole foods eating. I believe it can be easy but you have to follow a sensible approach. By all means experiment with things. Learn. Read.

apart from modifying your diet , tailoring it until its really almost perfect (which will take some time) Prioritise an optimistic state of mind, not exercise. Exercise is great but its not essential for weight loss. If you want to increase your exercise, get a pedometer. Don't do anything more strenuous until you are much smaller. Wearing a pedometer is one way to increase your daily activity. You aim is 10000 steps per day. do not force anything. Do not put up with pain. Take it steadily.

An optimistic and upbeat state of mind is vital. Do not get disheartened by slowdowns or set backs. But at the same time don't be slack or casual. Don't take liberties. Make your rules and stick to them until you find a better rule.

Cutlivate commitment and stay focused on your goals. The bigger picture! Weight loss is a reward not a punishment.

I made my rules up as i went along. For some i did not have all the answers at the outset. e.g. my quit sugar rule. I worked it out as i went along. Even so , i lost most of my weight within the first three months doing my own thing and without the benefit of good ideas and strategies i found along the way. the key thing that made it easy apart from an optimistic state of mind, was not radically cutting calories. This and eating my three main meals fairly close togather in the earlier part of the day helped me avoid hunger until i found other strategies. That said, if i did get hungry i would eat something - a piece of fruit if i wasn't very hungry, a glass of wine if it was getting close to dinner time and i wasn't ready to cook, or a sandwich if i knew i needed the calories for example. yes common sense rules!

Don't make rules you can't keep.

Don't whinge and get despondent about any plateau. I'm fairly sick of reading about people whinging. If you ask for advice tell people all the detail they need to know, don't just say i've been stuck help me. They need to know: how long you've been dieting, your starting weight, height, age, gender. They need to know what you are eating when. they need to know how much exercise you are doing and any other strategies you are following.

Keep tweaking to change things but don't keep cutting calories is not the answer. You may need to cut calories but cutting too low is simply stupid. learn but learn from a wide range of sources. There's a lot of false information and dud advice out there.

Look into 5;2 fasting, if not now, down later on down the track. Find out how to do it properly if you decided to start doing it. Use google. google is your friend.
  • susanbriggs2
    Options
    I'm in the same situation - hit my highest weight about 3 months ago and have made a commitment to finally get straight with what I'm doing with my eating to help/hinder me. Looking forward to a community of support and am really enjoying all that I'm learning using MFP. So, add me too! And best of luck :)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

zumba-o.gif

I look like the tall dude/chick with the white shirt and green shorts when I do zumba
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    mfp is not the only source of support you should look into. There are other forums. Some good some not so good. I learnt a lot from hanging out on the 3fc forum. Now i'im doing 5:2 fasting, i've learnt a little bit more.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Don't want to highjack the thread, but this is completely false. I've spent the day trying to find a single study to support "clean eating" or even give a specific logical definition of what it means. I can find a multitude of science to back up the health benefits of working out, but not even one to support clean eating. The very few very small studies we did find indicate no difference, except in terms of eating whole grains (which take more energy to digest than refined grains).

For the OP: The science supports eating whatever fits in your macros in order to lose weight. Many people have a great deal of success including things like ice cream, pizza, burgers, etc. as long as they watch their portions and maintain their macros and calorie deficit, and you'll find that's what's advocated on this site. That being said, it is true that many people are unable to stick with their goals when they allow themselves "treats" or else they find that too many carbs leads to less satiety and more hunger, causing them to eat more...and if that's the case for you, then by all means, cut the foods you need to cut in order to stick to your goals. But please don't feel that you have to just because of a trendy catch phrase like "clean eating."
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This^^^
    I lost 30# two years ago just by exercising. Finally now I got the nutritional part of it and I'm down almost 90#. Dedication is definitely a must if you want lasting results.

ETA: gained the same 30# right after I lost it because I stopped exercising. The current 90# down is from the last 9 months. Everyone's opinion of clean eating is so different. To me eating clean is no refined or processed foods.
  • Beanie008
    Beanie008 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!!