• Nijelako
    Nijelako Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump : )
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash and sweet potatoe soup:

Peel and cube butternut squash and sweet potatoes.
    Cook in vegetable or chicken stock (stock cube is fine!) until soft.
    Process in blender, adding more water until desired consistency.
    Add garam masala to taste (this is important, garam masala perfectly complements the sweetness of the vegetables) and reheat.
    Add a dash of double cream or coconut cream if you like.
    You can also add a can of chick peas or black beans for extra protein.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Always on the prowl for more squash recipes!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Rachael Ray's "Potato" topped beef stew (in quotes because tater tots)

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/Potato-Topped-Beef-Stew

Hungry Girl's Butternut Home Fries - we sometimes mix in 2 cups of cooked rice. While I love her recipes, her website is horrible to search on but if you have time I'd still recommend it as she has a ton of butternut squash recipes

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Breakfast/recipe?id=9492388

Then there's just plain old boiling and mashing like you would do for potatoes. Peel, cube, boil until done, drain, mash lightly (I use a fork instead of the masher) and voila, you've got a veg side.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have 2 nice sized butternut squash that I picked from the garden. I'm not real sure what to do with them. I need your BEST butternut squash recipes! Thank you!

• harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love to just bake it (cut it in half lay cut side up) put a tiny bit of butter and sugar in each (or maple syrup). DELICIOUS.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Bumping for Friday night. Anyone have any that would be particularly good as a side for salmon?
  • hhadley06
    hhadley06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite butternut squash recipe of all time: Butternut squash mac and cheese! :smiley:
    http://amybites.com/?p=1726#more-1726
    It's pretty cheap to make, relatively healthy (I think the pasta would be the least healthy thing in the recipe?), and so so good! As a bonus, it freezes pretty nicely too (I almost always have a couple servings in the freezer). I personally use just sharp cheddar in it and top it off with a handful of parmesan.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    you can do almost anything with them, I regularly make them into pies (just replace pumpkin with the butternut squash/acorn works as well) they also work as fries, hash browns, whipped, soups, chilis, etc - They work in both savory and sweet dishes
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Butternut gratin:

Amounts are approximate and altered according to the size of the squash.

Slice a butternut squash and layer it in a casserole with about 3 or 4 ounces of goat cheese, pour a cup of milk, almond milk or cream over it, mix in salt, nutmeg and sage, and sprinkle bread crumbs or panko over the top (and parmesan or some similar cheese if you want). Bake at around 375-450 (depending on desired speed and if you are cooking other things in the same oven) for around 45 minutes or so, until all the butternut squash is soft and the topping is browned.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love it roasted. Cube it up, toss with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and some fresh or dried sage. If you like mushrooms, throw those in too, and some raw pumpkin seeds. Roast, stir occasionally - delicious!
    Bumping for Friday night. Anyone have any that would be particularly good as a side for salmon?
    I think it would be awesome with salmon! First time I had it like what I posted above was in a steakhouse as a side dish, where steaks and salmon are specialties!