Fitbit or jawbone up?

Options
Which is better? Which would you recommend? Why?

I'm after getting a decent pedometer as I do a lot of walking. I tried a weight watchers pedometer, which broke right out of the box, then tried a kettler pedometer which has a mind of its own, I've also tried the pedometer on my phone, but when I work I lose signal so it records nothing, I need something decent and reliable, and so far have narrowed down to these two

72808789.png

Replies

• RubenAHarris
    RubenAHarris Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fitbit for ease of connectivity to your mobile device.
  • kpjp
    kpjp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is my choice. My husband gave me one for Xmas last year and I have worn it everyday. I love it
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't know the jawbone up, but I had the fitbit flex for a month last year.
    What annoyed me the most was the thing that I had to wear it on my wrist. I got lots of "false steps" just because I moved my arm.
    I thought of getting the fitbit zip but I was missing some functions there.

Now I got myself a Withings Pulse O2 - I wear it with a clip during the day on my belt or in my pocket and with the wristband while asleep. So far, I think it's a great device, it syncs via Bluetooth with Android and iOS.
    Maybe this might be an idea for you :)
  • dlady92
    dlady92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it not only does it count my steps but it count how many flights of steps I go up and keeps track of my sleep
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it not only does it count my steps but it count how many flights of steps I go up and keeps track of my sleep

This^^^^
  • radimage
    Options
    Garmin Vivosmart. Brand new...just came out. I love it!
  • kwarner87
    kwarner87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was given the Jawbone Up as a present and I have worn it every day since I got it. The things I like are: 1) it gives you little tid bits of info regarding health 2) it gives you challenges- if it notices you haven't slept well in the past few days it will challenge you to go to sleep earlier.... or walk more steps 3) it syncs with MFP and rates your meals which has helped me A LOT!! I've paid attention and the meals that are 8 or higher I try to eat more and anything below I eat on occasion....
  • Elaen
    Elaen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. If you are getting false steps change your online setting to be on "dominant" arm. Also calibrate your stride. I track my sleep every night, and I am in competition with my dad over daily steps.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

This^^^^

+1

I've had it for probably almost 2 years now and I still love it. I might look to upgrade in the future with something that has more features, but so far this is the one (from Fitbit) that has the best overall reviews on Amazon and I am very pleased with it. I know some men complained that while it was clipped to their belt it would come loose from it's holder. I've never had that problem as I keep my in my bra (discreet) so the couple of times it did come out of the holder the girls caught it.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I previously had the Jawbone Up and I recently switched to the Fitbit Flex. I had the Up band for a year and a half, and then I wore it one day while it was raining and it was ruined. I decided to go with the flex as I liked that it would connect to my phone via bluetooth and the product description said that it was water resistant enough that you could wear it in the shower.

So far, I prefer the flex in terms of the actual band. It is more comfortable to wear, and I like that you have the progress lights on it so you can see how far along you are without your phone. Plus, not having to plug it in to the phone to sync is much easier. However, I do prefer the Up app. It has many more features than the fitbit app does, and it is much easier to find friends in the app.
  • kwarner87
    kwarner87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There's two UP bands.... wireless & one that you plug into your phone to sync. Mine is wireless and also syncs via blue tooth.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the wireless Up (Up24) costs over twice as much as a Fitbit Zip, if that matters to you. $115 vs. $49 or so. I wouldn't consider the other Up that's cheaper because who wants to take off a bracelet and plug it into your phone to check your progress?

I had a Fitbit Classic for years and upgraded to a Flex. I wore it one day and took it back and got a One instead. I didn't like wearing a rubber bracelet around. I thought I could hide it under or among pretty jewelry but no, it always looked like a rubber bracelet. It wasn't my thing.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit One. My husband just got a Polar Loop. If I didn't have the One already, I'd want a Loop. He sets an activity level, and throughout the day it tells him where he is. Such as recommending how long he could jog, run or walk to finish his activity goal. Tracks steps, calories, etc. also. Is waterproof and can be used w/ a Polar HRM for more accurate cardio burn #s. Doesn't sync w/ MFP (yet?) but it gives you TDEE.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the other kinds, but I do love my Fitbit Flex. I think it is really comfortable, and it is very motivating to keep me moving!! It does count false steps, but it also misses some steps if I'm carrying something or pushing a shopping cart. I don't really care how 100% accurate it is, I more like that it has goals that I try to achieve every day, which makes me move a lot more than I otherwise would. But -- some of the features of the other products sound great, and the motivation would be a feature of all of them, I would think! I think if you spend a decent buck on your next pedometer, it will serve you well. The money spent will be worth it. I can recommend the Flex!
  • Weightwatcher72
    Weightwatcher72 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered a Fitbit flex, are they definitely compatible with the iPhone 5s?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have the Up (the one that plugs into the phone rather than syncing with bluetooth due to bluetooth tech being banned where I work). I have worn it in the shower, at the beach (in the water), while doing dishes, while running in the rain, and never had an issue. I love the app, and I love that it syncs with MFP and adjusts my daily calorie allowance based on activity (the fitbit does this too). I HAVE had an issue with the band dieing on me suddenly and for no apparent reason, but I reached out to their help desk and after some light trouble shooting they replaced the band free of charge. I used to have a fitbit, but had to return it due to it giving me a rash on my arm (they recalled them, and I believe have fixed the problem) - BUT, I loved it. I prefer the Up, simply because it looks like a fashion accessory (sorta), and the fitbit looks like exactly what it is - a fitness tracker. They both track the same things, mostly EXCEPT that the Jawbone does NOT track flights of stairs. The Up works for me just fine, and I don't really care about stairs, so no issue there. :flowerforyou:
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would also say, I actually enjoy the fashion statement that the Fitbit Flex makes. I am definitely sure this would not be for everyone. I myself love it.

1. I have several colors of bands, and I can switch them out to go with my outfits, which is fun.

2. It is very obviously visible to me, so when I see it all day long, it keeps me mindful of moving and also makes me feel like a Trendy Fitness Goddess. Which I am, in reality, not. But -- it's worth it to have that extra feeling of awesomeness! I feel powerful. :-)

3. I get comments about it a lot, which I love because other people are noticing that I am into fitness, and it's also a great conversation starter. I have also "connected" with other people who have them, which is fun because even though we are only casual acquaintances at this point, we have this fun thing in common.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was given the Jawbone Up as a present and I have worn it every day since I got it. The things I like are: 1) it gives you little tid bits of info regarding health 2) it gives you challenges- if it notices you haven't slept well in the past few days it will challenge you to go to sleep earlier.... or walk more steps 3) it syncs with MFP and rates your meals which has helped me A LOT!! I've paid attention and the meals that are 8 or higher I try to eat more and anything below I eat on occasion....
    I totally agree with this, I too have the UP and I don't know how I got along with out it. I never realized how little I moved during the day until I had the UP and really started watching my steps.