• Weightwatcher72
    Weightwatcher72 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Drink a diet soda?

72808789.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having sugar in moderation. Just fit it in your calories (pending you don't have a medical condition. Overall, a diet high in fats and protein will increase satiety. And fruit can help give you the sugar you need to stay away from candy or other treats if you prefer.

But since you are new, and if you don't have a medical condition, I would slowly work to increase proteins and fats and still incorporate sweets until you get to a point where the majority of your food is nutrient dense and add in a little treats on occasion.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar, unless you have a medical condition. Stay within your caloric allotment and you're golden.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Eat honey. Or fruit. One or the other. On the side porridge with milk and honey <3
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will make it worse, the aspartame will only spike your blood sugar and make the cravings worse. Try fruit, fresh in season if you can get it, or super dark chocolate.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me, eating high carb / high GI foods makes me crave sugar like crazy. Before paying attention to my diet, I would have overwhelming cravings every night without fail. It's something to do with insulin - lots of those books you see about GI and sugar explain it.

Perhaps you could try eating lower GI foods and adding a bit of protein to each meal. It helped me. No sugar cravings anymore.
  • Hopefullysane
    Hopefullysane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    chew minty gum
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Diet soda will make it worse, the aspartame will only spike your blood sugar and make the cravings worse. Try fruit, fresh in season if you can get it, or super dark chocolate.

There is nothing wrong with diet soda. Many of us use it daily and consistently lose weight. In fact, cyber ed (another mod) drinks 2-3 diet cokes a day and lost 302 lbs. It's a great option if you dont want to drink calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How do I get rid of sugar cravings? :explode:
    Eat some sugar. Nothing wrong with sugar in moderation as part of a balanced diet
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating added sugars you'll get past the craving after a while. It's like getting past any addiction.

I wouldn't try to trick your brain by giving it fake sugar (sugarless), that's going to send a signal that sugar is coming and when your brain doesn't get actual sugar it'll only make the cravings worse.

Fruit is a good option, sugar is sugar but at least you'd be getting other nutrients. Apples are my go too... sweet, hydrating, fiber, delicious.

If you eat more healthy fats, lean protein and a lot of veggies with each meal or snack, it may not get rid of your sugar cravings but you will most certainly be full which might help to fight off the cravings.

I don't eat added sugars or grains but I used too. What I realized is that eating added sugars, grains, carbohydrates (aside from those found in vegetables and fruits), only served to make me want more sugar. It was a never ending cycle of: Sugar craving - eat sugar - yum - crash - hunger - sugar craving - eat sugar - yum - crash - hunger - eat sugar...

You get the idea.

I used to be addicted to sugarless gum, thinking that would help to get rid of my cravings. It only made me crave "Real" sugar and after getting up to around a pack of gum a day I knew I had to get off. Too many chemicals.

Please note that the statements I made above are only things that worked for me, and taken from my personal experience.

I hope this helped...
    Good luck.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I always have really bad sugar crashes and cravings around mid-afternoon which really affects my concentration at work. I have found that drinking a low-calorie hot chocolate does the trick with a piece of fruit. It tends to rid of all my cravings - especially for chocolate! If you still have cravings for chocolate, have another hot chocolate. Really helps!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    try dark chocolate or a bit of peanut butter with fruit. that usually does the trick for me. sugar isn't the enemy if it fits in your calories :smile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How do I get rid of sugar cravings? :explode:
    Eat some sugar. Nothing wrong with sugar in moderation as part of a balanced diet

This
  • FanasticllyFlawed
    Options
    New study on diet soda - though granted I am sure there is a study that proves just the opposite as well, there is a study for everything.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/18/artificial-sweeteners-gut-bacteria_n_5837646.html

I weened out additive sugars by trying to stay with whole fruits or naturally sweet items like honey. I will say the first few weeks sucked, but after that my tastes have adjusted and a little sweetness goes a long way now. I still have sweets, but I don't go off the deep end looking for them like I used too, now I just enjoy them on occasion.
  • TestingFun01
    TestingFun01 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me, fasting has really helped with any and all cravings I had.

But everyone is different.

Perhaps try eating it in moderation as suggested above, if you really want find some healthier alternatives. Dried fruit, applesauce, frozen yogurt and 80% dark chocolate are the ones I used to rely on.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Satisfy your craving. If want something sweet, I have it. Sugar isn't the problem. Going over your calories is the problem (unless you have a medical condition).
  • guruka
    Options
    I eat 2 dates to help sugar cravings but I do eat a diet high in protein. Perhaps I need more good fats.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    What I hear from a lot of people is they can't just have a "little" to satisfy a craving. Once the person has a taste they're off the deep end and end up in a sugar binge. Unfortunately for a lot of people it's all or nothing. It's difficult not to have it yet even more difficult to just have a taste. With that said, if you are of the "all or nothing" mentality I would suggest giving it up entirely for a while until you get past the addiction part. Then go to fresh fruit. Many will also say that sugar is not the enemy and while I wouldn't call it an enemy I will point out that sugar addiction is on the same level as a heroin addiction and obesity due to sugar kills more people in my country than smoking. Again, sugar in fruit is still sugar but at least you're getting added nutrients plus fiber so your body is not just processing straight sugar... and more importantly, storing it. Our bodies were not built to process, processed foods.

And yes I have to agree with the other poster. Once you are off of sugar for a while a very small amount goes a very long way. These days when I want something sweet I automatically go for the baby carrots without giving it a second thought. To me they are sweeter and more satisfying than chocolate. Raw honey is also a great alternative. In fact, here's a great sugar fix (dessert), that is healthy, very sweet and satisfying and 100% Paleo:

Apple / Blueberry Crisp
    4 apples sliced into bite size pieces
    1 cup of blueberries
    1 tbsp of cinnamon
    1 tbsp of nutmeg
    Mix.

In another bowl:
    1/2 cup of coconut oil (melted)
    1/2 cup of raw honey (melted)
    1/2 cup of grass fed butter (melted)
    2 tbsp of fresh lemon
    1 cup of pure coconut flour
    Mix until it gets crumbly

Pour apple mixture into a pie plate, spread crumble on top, heat in oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. Cover it for the first 30 so the coconut doesn't burn.

Eat warm.

Repeat after me... YUM!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Berries, berries, berries. And then some berries.

It's real sugar, so it will hit the spot. They're low-cal, so they shouldn't mess you up too much there.

And they taste really sweet and good. Other fruits are great, too, but berries are the yummiest.

I will bet that after you eat a bowl, your craving will disappear! :)
  • homie_94
    Options
    When I crave sugar I just go for an apple.. as opposed to like a whole pack of oreos which is 900+ calories haha. Or I just take a short 20 min nap until it goes away. Or I wait it out by distracting myself with a book or work. Generally I just let it pass.. drink some green tea to keep me full