Weight Management from an IT Guy's Perspective

Options
I used to be slim back in college and tried to maintain it as much as I can when I started working. Due to lack or sometimes no exercise at all, (yes, I'm lazy) I relied on blindly eating less (sometimes starving myself) and walking/commuting to work as exercise.

When I got married and had kids, my lifestyle changed and so are my exercise and eating habits. I drive wherever I go and lost my old "consciousness" when eating. I also started to feel my metabolism dropping as I reach 30. My old skinny clothes were being replaced by new bigger ones. It has become a frustration for me to lose weight.

I tried everything: gym, crash diet, a treadmill at home, and even weight-loss products (coffee/tea/plums, etc.) but nothing just seemed to be right for me. I skip gym/treadmill but continue to eat like I worked out, I'm worried of any side effect the products might give, and crash-dieting is just dangerous and very unhealthy.

I knew it was my overeating that's preventing me to lose weight. So I've always wondered if there could be someone or something that can tell me how much should I eat per day and remind me if I am about to exceed my required food intake for the day for weight loss.

One day, I googled for the leading weight loss app. and found myfitnesspal. I downloaded it to my phone and tried my best to follow the daily calorie limit. Sometimes I make it, but most of the time I exceed by 400 to 600 cals.

Here I am as I monitor my weight loss. My original target was 136lbs. as advised by my doctor. Upon reaching it, I think I can get back to my old weight so I changed it now to 130lbs. Losing 21 pounds may not be much for some of you here but to me, it changed my life

success_zpsb4e696de.jpg~original

In just 2 months, I was able to lose 11 pounds with ease! I was never starved and I can even enjoy all-you-can-eat buffet dinners once in a while. I didn't need special diets, I just eat regular foods but in controlled and still enjoyable portions.

Now I do not make blind guesses on how much to eat and I became aware of which foods are highest in calories that can easily ruin your allocation for the day. I also started exercising again. :happy:

Replies

• dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations. I too have a sedentary job and find it difficult to find time to exercise. I still have a ways to go, but you've provided me with lots of inspiration:)
  • Wow Awesome progress!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Amazing what 20 pounds can do!
  • RommelMathew
    RommelMathew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. Glad I could help! :smile:
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well done. I also work in a sedentary job in front of a computer all day. It is hard to find time to exercise - you have to consciously do it. You have done so well. If you can, I can. thanks for the motivation :)
  • RommelMathew
    Options
    You're welcome. A little discipline + MFP can really give great results.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Now I do not make blind guesses on how much to eat and I became aware of which foods are highest in calories that can easily ruin your allocation for the day.

This is really the genius of mfp. Knowledge is power. It's funny how having that clear, accurate knowledge just cuts through the stress, depression and anxiety of so many fad diets and failed fitness attempts.
  • Rachelwin65
    Rachelwin65 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post... Because whether you have 100 lbs to lose, or 30, the process is the same. Some exercise. Paying attention to your intake. Repeat daily. Congrats on your success!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Wow! Really great job!!!
  • RommelMathew
    Options
    Thank you all! :happy: just being here is already a huge step on striving to be fit and healthy.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    most folks have desk jobs.. add the stress and the bowl of chocolate... there ya go. Great work
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!