[ P90X ] Can I start with this?

Options
My situation: I've done martial arts in the past. I've as recently as 2006 been in enough good shape to do a full gym workout (cardio and weights) and immediately go to a karate class and have fun, not being tired or anything.

Sadly, since then, I've degraded to the point where a flight of stairs will get me at least started breathing slightly heavier, I'm about 35 lbs overweight (on a 6'3" frame, but still, it's not a pretty picture) as of today, and my only saving grace is the remnants of muscle mass from a few years ago. I worked out a bit up until 2009, and really started neglecting it in 2010, with maybe some short-lived revivals. Desk job + lots of travel makes consistency a challenge.

My workout ethic is to push pretty hard, up until my endurance limit is reached, whether that's an out of shape 10 minutes or not. Over my exercise history, I'm no stranger to being at the point of puking, etc. Those aspects of P90x don't scare me, except for me being toast after 10 minutes.

What scares me is if P90x is "of no use whatsoever" until you have at least some endurance. So, my question is, in the interest of saving money on something like a Power 90 or what have you, and in light of the fact that I am not a complete stranger to fitness: is it unreasonable to just go ahead and get P90x? I think it should be possible to just limp along on the exercises, at least at first? Should I not be able to either do 20-40% (or whatever %) of the reps they do on screen, or pause the program so I can catch up on reps at my own pace?

Replies

• jessiejo17
    Options
    My fiance and I have actually started with this, we both have fallen out of shape as well. They actually give an alternate way of doing things if you aren't in tip top shape. It's a great workout, very challenging but I highly recommend it! You can do it to help get back in shape for sure.
  • zdbeaumont
    Options
    ive got the P90X workouts and im trying to do one a day, im done some reading and by all acounts it really works. you just have to stick to it and eat right
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Well, before starting P90X, they have you complete a fit test. If you are able to complete the fit test then you should be good to go. There are modifications you can make. But like Tony Horton says, "Do your best, and forget the rest!" It's OK if you can't do the whole workout...overtime you will get stronger and be able to do more. Even though it is a 90 day program, you can do it over and over again and combine it with other programs IF you get bored.
  • commercial2000
    commercial2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    P90 is challenging and you may not be able to do the whole workout each day, but I would still try it. I wouldn't do the whole workout at 20% though. I'd do all the exercises full-out until you can't anymore, shut off the video, and start again the next day. Eventually, you will be able to finish the whole video full-out and feeling good!
    Otherwise, if you haven't worked out in awhile, try just walking for an hour a day to get your stamina and then try the P90X.
    Just make sure you listen to your body and don't go overboard pushing yourself to do more than you are ready for. You can do it, just pace yourself!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I LOVE p90x! I will be honest, on some of the videos I can not do everything. For instance, I can only do so many pushups, so on the chest video I usually only do the first 30 minutes and then I do cardio. The second 30 minutes is everything that was done the first time backwards. I would say go for it as long as you have the willpower to do home videos. That is where I struggle. I have done every video and for the most part haven't even cheated. The plyometrics is my all time favorite. They usually have one person do an easy version of the exercise so that every one can do it. However, if you don't have the willpower to do a video at home I would say it would be a waste of your money. The good news is that if you have a laptop you can take p90x anywhere and most of the videos can be done in a small area which makes it great for those who travel. I am only 5'2" and 152 pounds so obviously I am not in the best of shape. If I can do it anyone can!! Let me know if you have any questions specific to p90x.
  • Marthalane
    Options
    Just start off doing whatever you can do and with each day you will see you can do a little more. Remember; never say, “I can’t” yes you can. Go for it and good luck!: wink:
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think you should start it and do your best and work towards it.. what would be the point if you could already do it.. it is suppose to be a challenge..
  • davidmiller12
    Options
    I really like the P90x. I only do the cardio workouts being a big guy myself. When I first started I could only go for about 10 minutes. But after a few weeks I can do the whole video. I would also like to say that since you took karate you should try getting back into martial arts. My best work outs are the twice a week I do ju jistu.
  • earock
    earock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow...reading your situation...I have to say that mine is/was very similar to yours. I am currently doing the P90X workouts in my home and I'm in the second week. The exercise routine is very difficult and I am gased just getting through the warm ups. Having said that, the beauty of the program is that you push pause until you catch your wind and let your heart read go down a smidge, then you press play and continue. This may require a longer work out time, but it gets the job done. Not to mention that in the videous they show you how to do modified exercises if you have bad knees or just can't do the full exercise as it was intended. Over time, the idea is that you will be able to do more and more exercises and in the form that he shows you. It's a very nice approach.

To give you and idea what the program can do, I started the program @ 24% body fat and 245 pounds. Since I've started, I've lost ten pounds in ten days. I've been burning between 800 and 1100 calories during these workouts and I've just been doing the best I can. I'm not doing all the reps or the exercises exactly the same way he's doing them, but I'm doing my best and working as hard as I can, which is reflected in my calorie count and heart rate. If you half *kitten* it, you only get half *kitten* results...just do your best and forget the rest...that's what they always say on the video. Corney I know, but it's true and effective. I'm a believer.

Also, it's important to note that exercise alone is not enough for extreme results and transformation. Diet and nutrition are a huge part of this too, and to be honest this website has been a huge aide in helping me navigate and track my calories. The database is huge with user content food nutritional information. Seems like everything I eat is in this database...pretty impressive. The P90X program also comes with a huge book on nutrition...it's as large as the book on the exercise part of the program.

If you are asking my opinion...I say that if you have the desire, time, and money, you should purchase the program. Stay dedicated and the results will come...I can't wait to finish my first 90 days...I'm treating it like an experiment which is helping to motivate me. I'm extremely curious to see if the results are as advertised...so far, like I said above, I'm a believer.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. From what I gather, pause and restart, do it at your own pace, etc., are your friends early on, and you don't *have* to start with a different program (thus avoiding buying a starter program then this thing on top of it).

I think I am teetering on the edge of getting this and giving it a shot. I know I have the desire, I am actually trying to test my motivation. I have access to a Wii Fit and may try proving I can make myself do *something* every day by using the Wii Fit every day first. The price of admission is high so I want to prove I can stick to a plan once again. '

I also need to make sure the logistics are in place to support this venture, including space, equipment, etc.

Someone mentioned Karate, and I do plan to take it up again. I did make an attempt to get back into it last year, but I wasn't sure the place was a fit for me, plus it was a little inconvenient, so I let it go. A very important thing I did find out was how badly out of shape I was, so I'd love to have this program privately get me in good enough shape so that I can once again survive a karate class mostly intact. To think one time I could go do a full (and pretty hard) gym workout, then immediately take a 1-hour karate class and nearly breeze through it, versus my sad, sad conditioning now!

And yes, I fully expect to be winded and doubled over in the first 5 minutes if I don't pace myself, and definitely within the first 10 minutes if I am at least making an earnest effort to improve! But then I am somewhat sadistic that way.