Would you log lawnmowing?

Options

Replies

• heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am set to sedentary, so I would log it.

This
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I log lawn mowing. I only log half of what MFP recommends. For 2 hours I will only log 1, etc.

Oddly enough, I do not log strength training sessions. I consider those "bonus burns"
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't log throwing pallets of sod either. It's just part of my daily activity. Granted it was a hard day, but it was just a chore or my honey do list.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I log it because it is not something I do every day. I burn lots of calories too doing it but don't eat them back. I just like to see how much energy I have used. As long as it is not a sit on and ride lawn mower and you are down as sedentary then I think you should. Housework I don't log because I do that every day. I have a fitbit so that counts the calories anyway. But yes, I would say log it and be proud of it. Lol
  • BigFatDaddy55
    BigFatDaddy55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I MOST DEFINITELY would log in lawn moving, unless you are sitting on a tractor drinking a beer:))
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't log housework, etc anymore.. but I do log when I mow the lawn and here's why: It's not something I did much when I GAINED the weight and it's something I've PUSHED myself to do (actually I push hubby away from the mower so I can put in the extra workout lol).
    It takes me a good hour to do our lawn and half of it is uphill so I make the effort to PUSH the mower up hill not just side to side... so by the time I'm done I'm a bloody sweaty mess!! And I know my heart rate is up for sure!!

I have my settings at lightly active on here, thus why I don't log housework, walking to/from work, etc.. but workouts and mowing the lawn yes... but I don't eat back my cals much either...
  • Molly5874
    Molly5874 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a pushmower so its definitely a workout to me!!!:laugh:
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No. When I see people logging lawn-mowing and cleaning it makes me think that they don't have enough willpower or determination to do a real workout. If you want extra calories for that type of stuff, buy a Fitbit. Then you can log only your intended workout and your Fitbit will give you any extra calories you've earned doing normal activities throughout the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I totally would because it would be an additional 45 (?) minutes work I don't normally do. I've considered stopping the lawn service and doing it myself. It does seem silly to avoid work when you're trying to lose weight...but it's hot in the summer, lol.

I do not log laundry or cleaning the house, though, because that's just part of my life. I log additional stuff. :)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    No. When I see people logging lawn-mowing and cleaning it makes me think that they don't have enough willpower or determination to do a real workout. If you want extra calories for that type of stuff, buy a Fitbit. Then you can log only your intended workout and your Fitbit will give you any extra calories you've earned doing normal activities throughout the day.

Where can I get some of this willpower? Got any I could have?
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use a reel mower, and have a pretty big lawn, so I log it. Usually takes me about an hour and burns between 500-700 calories (per HRM), depending on how long the grass is.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I log half of what I do. I also have one of those manual push mowers. If I had a riding mower or one that was electric/gas powered I wouldn't bother logging it.

[edit] Mowing the lawn was something I didn't do when I gained the weight, when I reach my halfway mark of weight loss I will stop logging things such as mowing the lawn, or housework. Until then every little bit counts.

I also tend to not eat back the calories I burned.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I don't considering it a workout, it's just daily activity.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    No. If I spend all day cleaning my house I don't log it either.

Edit: That's just what I do but for sure go ahead and log it if you want.

Sorry I'm deviating from the OP's question but I rem a very funny incident. Ha Ha Ha.

2 years back at work we had a biggest loser competition and rule was - on Intranet they had an excel sheet where Exercise and Calorie burn was to be registered. Person who burn most Calories in that month wins.

Boy! One woman everyday damn everyday burned 3000 plus calories cleaning house. When would she be at work and when would she clean the house to burn that much?

B'coz of this one individual everyone was declared winner and that was 1st and last time they ever held the competition.

And OP, I won't log lawn mowing calorie burn.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Where can I get some of this willpower? Got any I could have?

Sure. Just send me three easy payments of $19.95 and I'll tell you all about you need to do this for yourself because no one can lose weight for you. I'll tell you my secret of how I gave up coffee and processed foods and have never felt better. I'll even share with you how I fell off the wagon, gaining everything back plus another 15 pounds, and yet somehow still was able to realize that I had to do this for me or I was only going to keep getting fatter. Order now! (Visa and MasterCard accepted!)

:bigsmile:
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that logs mowing on a riding mower. If it is a category in the exercise database, then someone must have figured out that it actually burns calories. Everything, including laying in bed and breathing burns calories. You have to decide for yourself, if you feel that it burned more calories than what your macro is set for.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Cheers all. Some great advice. Unfortunately it's not a ride on ( or fortunately given I'm trying to lose weight :-) I don't eat my calories back and I'm normally 200 or so cals under my allowance for the weight loss I'm aiming for. Think I'll take the advice to log half of it as I don't want to overstate the burn, although I defo got a sweat going. Looks like I may have to jump on that good ol treadmill if I'm to justify a few beers tonight.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Why not? Assuming a push mower, it's at least as much exercise as "walking", which most folks would log without a thought.
  • mjean1229
    mjean1229 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Heck yes!

I don't know where you are, but in MN we get some HOT summer days and it's can be a good workout. Also, if I do a power cleaning that takes me more than an hour, I log that too! Your body is moving, give yourself credit for it!
  • chickwithpencil
    chickwithpencil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, but I also use a push mower with no drive on hilly terrain, too. I mainly log it as a reminder to myself that I need to eat more (which is more of a problem for me than being active is.)