80% food intake VS 20% exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "...I still disagree...weight loss is 100% intake...regardless of how our bodies metabolize those calories. Marcro nutritional health and exercise is for cardio/bone/muscle health..."

Anyone can restrict calories to the point where body mass is lost but maximizing fat loss requires a bit of thought, finesse and working toward minimizing the loss of lean body mass. What is it about that you don't understand or are you simply wanting to stir the pot?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% food intake... if you want to look like a smaller version of what you currenty look like. Exercise becomes important if you want to change/improve your body shape while you are losing.

Wellll...not exactly. Ultimately, it IS "calories in, calories out" but there are many factors that influence the "calories out" part of the equation. Having lots of lean body mass (males and younger people of both genders generally have more) greatly influences the rate at which you burn calories--even while you are sleeping! "Simple" carbohydrates (read sugar and starch) are immediately available to the gut and raise blood sugar levels further and faster than more "complex" carbohydrates--thus driving the high insulin that causes the high blood glucose to be stored (and guess where it gets stored) rather than burned. Which means that you will get hungry in a short while and want to load up on some more simple carbs. And the cycle continues. There are many other hormones that influence fat storage, fat burning and hunger, such as adiponectin (which relies on adequate levels of serum magnesium) leptin (and almost all obese women are leptin-resistant), and estrogen (high estrogen makes the female body "prefer" to metabolize lean body mass over body fat). Calorie deficits that are too high make the body "think" that it is starving and it cuts calorie burning accordingly. A body that is "starving" (as in a very low calorie diet) will actually cannibalize muscle at an increased rate over body fat because maintaining muscle is very "expensive" as opposed to maintaining body fat. Eating at a small deficit is very difficult to judge but exercise makes the difference because it does two things 1) it gives you a higher "expense account"--it gives you a bit more "wiggle room" on the calories and 2) it helps to maintain lean body mass (in addition to burning calories at an increased rate while exercising). I would hate to try to lose body fat without exercise. I've tried it before and IT DOES NOT WORK in the longer term--and after all, what is the point of losing body fat if you are just going to pile it back on when you go to "normal" eating? Without exercise, you will not maintain. All it takes is a miscalculation of 100 calories to put on 50 pounds in five years. And that 100 calories is very difficult to judge unless you are very anal about weighing every morsel. In addition, that assumes that everything remains exactly the same and the body is constantly changing.

Yes exactly...

note* please use paragraphs next time.

I see what you did and it was obnoxious (and against the rules of this site to pick at someones literary style). As I said before I was rudely addressed--it is ultimately "calories in-calories out" . BUT there are many things that influence calories out and exercise is a very important part of that influence.

oh what did I do ?

Disagree with you? okay I still disagree...weight loss is 100% intake...regardless of how our bodies metabolize those calories. Marcro nutritional health and exercise is for cardio/bone/muscle health.

As for attacking someone's literary style is not against ToS, nor did I attack but rather made a valid suggestion for all others who may consider reading some of your future posts as that one was very difficult to get through.
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

+1.fully agree.
    a polite yet helpful pointer to an experienced poster to improve the message.

but to belittle that by insulting as obnoxious is surely more likely a rule breaker?
  • NYfirefighter
    Options
    My 2ct worth in this is plain and simple

Yes monitoring your food intake and making sure a deficit of around 500 calories is present is the key to weigth loss
    However 'weight' being the operative word here, since without exercise (mainly strength) you can lose alot of lean muscle mass along with your fat, and that's not what you want since muscles burn calories and the more muscle the better
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    "...I still disagree...weight loss is 100% intake...regardless of how our bodies metabolize those calories. Marcro nutritional health and exercise is for cardio/bone/muscle health..."

Anyone can restrict calories to the point where body mass is lost but maximizing fat loss requires a bit of thought, finesse and working toward minimizing the loss of lean body mass. What is it about that you don't understand or are you simply wanting to stir the pot?

those are two different things...weight loss is all food and that is what most want weight loss that is what you aren't getting.

A lot of people don't care if they lose fat and muscle as long as the scale number goes down...

See I get the difference...I watch intake, hit my protien and fat macros and exercise weight lifting and cardio and HIIT so trust me I understand the difference...that is why that statement you said wasn't "exactly" I disagreed with...

Weight loss is about food...being a smaller version of your current self...

Exercise is about changing and improving your body...in other words losing fat and keeping muscle...
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminders everyone of me having to not only just eat healthy but the exercising portion is just as important. Hard to get a good balance when my work demands 60-78 hrs a week infront of a computer, but I'll just have to find the time somewhere. Thanks to all who posted, I appreciate the advice and the knowledge put forth.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I used to think that too, but I turned out to be wrong...at least for me, calorie counting showed me that. I went from totally sedentary to walking like 4 miles every night and doing a bunch of other exercise and it still took me 4+ years to lose 35 lb eating the way I always had. Then I joined this website and ate at the recommended calorie deficit and in the past year and a half I'm down almost 90 lb and have shattered all of my previous weight goals and gotten down to my lightest weight since hitting puberty.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminders everyone of me having to not only just eat healthy but the exercising portion is just as important. Hard to get a good balance when my work demands 60-78 hrs a week infront of a computer, but I'll just have to find the time somewhere. Thanks to all who posted, I appreciate the advice and the knowledge put forth.

You'll want the most bang for your buck then, or best use of limited exercise time.

Resistance training of some sort, the harder the better for short time. Like NOT doing 60 reps of 2 lb pink dumbbell curls. Not good use of time.
    2 x 15 squats or deadlifts though, oh yeah, totally useful. Make first set warmup at about 50% the weight, second set almost failure on rep 15.
    You can get a full body workout in 30 min with few basic moves 3 x a week.
    If you think you could get in 4 x a week of 30 min, then do split, upper body 2 x, lower body 2 x. Can do a few more lifts that way.

And at the start, bodyweight may accomplish that rep range for a few compound moves.
  • AimersBee
    Options

You'll want the most bang for your buck then, or best use of limited exercise time.

Resistance training of some sort, the harder the better for short time. Like NOT doing 60 reps of 2 lb pink dumbbell curls. Not good use of time.
    2 x 15 squats or deadlifts though, oh yeah, totally useful. Make first set warmup at about 50% the weight, second set almost failure on rep 15.
    You can get a full body workout in 30 min with few basic moves 3 x a week.
    If you think you could get in 4 x a week of 30 min, then do split, upper body 2 x, lower body 2 x. Can do a few more lifts that way.

And at the start, bodyweight may accomplish that rep range for a few compound moves.

Thanks heybales! :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

My coworkers have a standing desk and a stepper. Problem solved for cardio.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Who knows that exact % is, nutrition and fitness is very individualized and has many variables. Instead think of it this way... Nutrition must be appropriate for achieving your goals, whatever they may be. If you're talking weight loss, then try and diet on as many calories as possible for long-term success. Exercise on the other-hand is a way to augment weight loss, however; you CAN NOT exercise your way out of a bad diet, at least not long-term. If weight-loss is your goal, then make sure your eating enough calories to lose weight and recover from exercise and whatever else is going on in your life.
  • AimersBee
    Options

Unfortunately with the situation I'm in, I get a desk that is given to me, I can't ask for a certain type, not only that but everything that comes in to my worksite goes through security. Long story but that wouldn't work.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Unfortunately with the situation I'm in, I get a desk that is given to me, I can't ask for a certain type, not only that but everything that comes in to my worksite goes through security. Long story but that wouldn't work.

Well I hate to be a boss to decline someone who would like to get some exercise in while they work since we all know what benefits a walk can do. I sit on a exercise ball myself. Cannot fall asleep on that thing without falling to the floor LOL.